Sign in with
Your question

GPU advice for a first time builder!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 20, 2012 6:30:55 PM

Hello there!
As you can tell I'm very new to the idea of PC building, hardware and to this forum, so please excuse my lack of any technical knowledge whatsoever.

My build so far is as follows:

Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
Motherboard: Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z68XP-UD3 Motherboard (Rev 1.0)
CPU: Intel i5 3570k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb DDR3
PSU: Winpower ATX-650L - Very old PSU ripped from my Dad's old build, hooked to components by Molex-to-SATA converters
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM
Monitor: Samsung S24B300HL 1080p - Another one to be added soon!

So here are my questions to you guys, hope you can help me out:
1) First and foremost, What opinions could you give me for an appropriate GPU based on my criteria? I have spent a very long time perusing the web trying to find a GPU capable for meeting my needs, and have settled on either a HD 7950 or a GTX 670, this will almost entirely be used for gaming. As far as game requirements are, I hope to be able to play the most modern releases as they come out as I'm tired of playing them on my old, chugging Xbox 360. I was also hoping to learn, with the help of an expert friend, the ins and outs of overclocking, if that's relevant. (My budget is up to about £350)

2) Will an upgrade to my PSU be required any time soon? Will having an old 650W PSU effect anything with my build? And if possible, what PSU would you recommend if required.

3) Will a larger card, such as a 670 fit into my case? What adjustments will be required?

4) I will also be doing lots of video rendering, will anything in particular be required to speed up the process?

Thanks a lot for reading this wall of text, I look forward to reading your responses! :D 
November 20, 2012 6:54:30 PM

First of all, throw that PSU out the window and get something along these lines http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650s....

1. Deciding on what you want is up to you, check out the benchmarks http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=598. Just pick whatever you find the best price on but I've heard that Adobe favors CUDA, an Nvidia technology, so you might want to go for that.

3. You should be absolutely fine. If you run into trouble, remove a hard drive cage.

4. The best thing really to speed up rendering is to get something hyperthreaded like the 3770K but the 3570K already poops on video rendering so you're fine.
November 20, 2012 6:58:37 PM

Nice, quick response!
Also, some love fellow Dream Theater love as well!

I shall endeavour to throw my power supply out of the window as soon as possible :p 
!