Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't turn on

Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2013 3:15:13 PM

Hello,

I have an old pc, from an unknown manufacturer (inherited, probably a HP) - I see no reference on the case to indicate the manufacturer. When I press the power light, the light on the power button turns a solid amber. I disassembled the case, put in a different power cord, checked all obvious connections, and no change. The CPU seems seated correctly.

An interesting clue. When the power cord is put in, the (fan?) gives a faint high pitched whine -- even though the computer is obviously off. When I push the power button, the external light for the hard drive goes on, but no other lights or sounds (except the high pitched whine).

Although I doubt it matters, since it is clearly not getting anywhere close to booting, it is an Ubuntu machine with a p3 866 cpu.

Prior to this, when the PC was functioning normally, there was a screeching sound, which caused me to turn off the computer in the first place. The computer was left off for 24 hours (although it presumably had that high pitched whine, just not hearable with the case on).

I would welcome any help at all. It is a computer that houses a number of family documents, and I am somewhat desperate. I had been procrastinating uploading them to a different computer, and hope I am not too late.

Thanks for any and all help

More about : computer turn

January 4, 2013 3:19:53 PM

take the internal HDD from it and place to another computer to save files...

for old PC, there is always limit..
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:25:40 PM

I am planning on doing this, but it leads to a follow-up question. Are HDD's reasonably transferrable to other boxes (which are equally vintage). There is no danger of damaging the HDD just by trying it in a different box, is there? No power differences, or anything like that?

Forgive my ignorance on these issues. I just really don't want to lose the data permanently.
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2013 4:50:46 PM

no as long as you dont try and boot from the hard drive you should see the drive in the other machine fine once you connect it.
m
l
January 4, 2013 4:50:49 PM

Thanks for your help. Put HDD into another box, and it works fine.
m
l
!