Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

What the the FASTEST AND OVERALL BEST single gpu card?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
November 20, 2012 7:58:33 PM

Just trying to find out what the undoubtedly fastest single gpu graphics card is.

BENCHMARKS ENCOURAGED!

More about : the fastest single gpu card

Related resources
November 20, 2012 8:09:45 PM

You know there is this whole thing like reading my post before posting arrogant comments right? I said "single GPU." Please do not comment if you do not know what you are responding to.

As for you unoriginal1, you were nice (thank you) but once again I did say single gpu while those are all multi gpu's.
m
l
a c 112 U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 8:11:11 PM

SAPPHIRE TOXIC HD 7970 GHz Edition 6GB
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:12:49 PM

and ps i plan to sli or crossfire
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:18:45 PM

bob88931 said:
and ps i plan to sli or crossfire

Why? You'll already have a ludicrously overpowered graphics card that is going to require an absolute monster of a power supply. You're going to be bleeding money on your power bill every month.

At some point you just have to accept to accept that you have a card that can blister any game on the market right now at the highest settings. Why do you need to have two of them? You're not going to notice that much improvement...
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:19:08 PM

Brand does not matter to me, whatever is best does, but again, are the two I linked not faster than the 7970 ghz edition? Is the classified too?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 8:19:20 PM

bob88931 said:
You know there is this whole thing like reading my post before posting arrogant comments right? I said "single GPU." Please do not comment if you do not know what you are responding to.

As for you unoriginal1, you were nice (thank you) but once again I did say single gpu while those are all multi gpu's.

HAHA my apologies. Like many of the posts i quickly sped to a forum instead of reading carefully. Heres a hierarchy chart i found of (all) graphics cards. So it might help. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

Personally i still stick to my first post in regards to that it matters entirely on the game. I would see what games you plan on playing, research benchmarks for the cards your looking for :) .

Np on the being nice part I usually try to be.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 8:27:23 PM

Well now that is a matter of opinion but I don't mind submitting mine for perusal. Based on specs and this article, AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition Review: Give Me Back That Crown!, I would say that right now the best SINGLE GPU card is the ASUS Matrix Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition. Admittedly, I'm a little biased because I just bought one. After installing it and starting up I found that it defaults to 1100 Mhz GPU clock and 6600 MHz ( 1650 MHz GDDR5 ) memory clock so no need to adjust any thing unless you want to OC further.

Here's my 3DMark11 scores (System config. is in my signature).

P9320 3DMarks
10647 Graphics Score
7370 Physics Score
6064 Combined Score.
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:27:48 PM

Curious, does the clock speed make a card fast for the most part? Because that is what I have been judging by and people have been recommending cards with lower clock speeds. What else is a good judge?

PS thanks for the hierarchy chart helps alot.

PSS Lol djangoringo I was seriously looking into that card too, its really nice.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 8:28:02 PM

The 7970GHz edition is the too card for gaming. That's all ether is to it. Considering the 3 free games and price it's even better.

But if you are going to drop the kind of money wait for the 8XXXs in a few months

And lol at arreo. "monster of a power supply" for a single modern card? Yea.... No. Even crossfire doesn't take a monster
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 8:29:51 PM

Arreo said:
Why? You'll already have a ludicrously overpowered graphics card that is going to require an absolute monster of a power supply. You're going to be bleeding money on your power bill every month.

At some point you just have to accept to accept that you have a card that can blister any game on the market right now at the highest settings. Why do you need to have two of them? You're not going to notice that much improvement...

power? two of any of these cards can be run on a 650w power supply. also the idle power consumption will be around 100watts. hardly a power bill killer.

also a single card can not max every game on the market at high resolutions. BF3 would kill a 7970/680 with a dual screen setup at ultra settings.

that asus is a triple slot card so a lot of motherboards wouldnt be able to sli it.

also like someone else said it entirely depends on what games you play. some prefer nvidia and some amd. tell us the games and we can go from there.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 8:40:14 PM

bob88931 said:
Curious, does the clock speed make a card fast for the most part? Because that is what I have been judging by and people have been recommending cards with lower clock speeds. What else is a good judge?

PSS Lol djangoringo I was seriously looking into that card too, its really nice.

You can't compare by clocks. They are pretty irrelevant. Or any other specs. It doesn't translate between architectures or even cards. Read reviews.

Guy one can move 2 buckets of dirt a minute. Guy two can only do one bucket a minute. But his bucket is four times as big. who's moving more dirt?
m
l
a c 529 U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 8:41:12 PM

bob88931 said:

AMD and Nvidia use different architectures.
So, that means that they will differ in how well they play different games.
If you play one game exclusively, look to the card/architecture that plays that game well.
Over time, driver updates come out, so the situation may change.
On balance, both amd and nvidia provide comparable performance at similar price points.

Clock rates count, but so do the number of components and other specs like ram speed.
I would ignore them, and use the tom's heirarchy chart.
In the end, there is little difference, among similar cards or at least not enough for you to notice without a synthetic benchmark.

7970 and GTX680 each offer factory overclocked cards. Pick one of those from a vendor you trust that has good support.
I happen to like the direct exhaust coolers which get the heat directly out of your case.
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:41:47 PM

Thank you for the explanation unksol I get it now =)
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:46:33 PM

Also, the games I play are in order from most to least are Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Crysis, Minecraft, and then TF2
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 8:49:39 PM

Guy one can move 2 buckets of dirt a minute. Guy two can only do one bucket a minute. But his bucket is four times as big. who's moving more dirt?[/quotemsg]

That's easy, Guy 1 = 2 buckets / 1 minute. Guy 2 = 4X bucket / 1 minute. Guy 2 moves twice the amount of dirt.
m
l
November 20, 2012 8:53:04 PM

Again, will the 2 cads fit with the pci sound card on that board?
m
l
a c 93 U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 8:58:54 PM

the sapphire toxic is the most powerful single gpu once you enable the overclocked bios.

otherwise the HIS turbo 3 7970 is the fastest at stock bios.
m
l
November 20, 2012 11:59:48 PM

Get the 7970ghz it is the best of the best.
m
l
a c 413 U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 12:04:30 AM

The GTX 690 is the best single card your money can buy....

....assuming you have enough money....
m
l
November 21, 2012 12:11:54 AM

The 690 is NOT a single card. Its 2 680's internally SLI'd (with possible driver issues). 680 is the best from Nvidia, 7970 from AMD. I chose Nvidia and the 680.
m
l
a c 413 U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 12:14:15 AM

But the GPUs themselves still resides on a single physical graphics card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 1:07:33 AM

The HIS X turbo GHZ is the fastest gpu you can buy. Its also the most expensive air cooled single gpu card.
m
l
a c 529 U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 1:51:06 AM

jaguarskx said:
But the GPUs themselves still resides on a single physical graphics card.

The GTX690 is a single card.
It is also a dual gpu card.
It is not exactly sli since it does not need a sli motherboard.
The management of the dual gpu's is done by the card.
And, the GTX requires only a 620W psu, not 800W that would be required for sli GTX680.
m
l
November 21, 2012 9:22:25 AM

Is the HIS X turbo ghz not dual gpu? and you say it is faster then the sapphire toxic too?!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 9:56:08 AM

meh I think all you here are wrong.

The fastest card would be the ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum.
And thanks to the new drivers its performance is further boosted.

Only if the 680s had overvolting capabilities they could have been clocked higher.
m
l