Solved

Opinoins on $350 AMD Build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2013 3:35:08 PM

Hey I'm building my first PC and was going to use it to do simple video editing and some gaming. I used PC part picker to choose parts. Looking for any opinions on my build.

AMD FX-6100 ($110 - NCIX)

MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($50 - Amazon)

Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2X4gb) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47 - Newegg)

MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition ($118 - Newegg)

MSI TC- (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($23 - Microcenter)

Logisys 480W ATX12V Power Supply ($15 - Outlet PC)

*I already have a 500gb HDD and DVD-ROM drive from my old PC and a 3 user pack of windows 7 with two more uses.

More about : opinoins 350 amd build

January 4, 2013 3:59:59 PM

The 7770 seems good for your price range. I was about to recommend the i3 but then i saw that you are gonna be editing. More cores = faster rendering so thats not a bad choice. I actually have that same MSI hd 7770 and it can game at 1080p just fine, but some really demanding games need to dropped to medium. Medium with directx 11 @1080p looks alot better than any console so don't worry :p .
m
l
January 4, 2013 4:07:48 PM

thanks! are the psu and case ok though?
m
l
January 4, 2013 4:25:08 PM

You should really swap out the PSU for a better quality one, i.e. better brand. I know the price is hard to beat, but you really get what you pay for in regards to a PSU.

Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze 24.99 from newegg atm. Tier 3, but still a solid unit. Also, if you can squeeze the extra 20 dollars out, I'd opt for the Amd 6300fx. Slightly faster and next generation core.
m
l
January 4, 2013 4:25:14 PM

Didn't catch that at first. No actually, i wouldn't use a logisys. They will blow your computer up lol. Go for Seasonic or Corsair. And your case should be ok. Its up to you if you want it to be flashy lol.
m
l

Best solution

January 4, 2013 4:26:49 PM

The PSU is crap. You really don't want a no-name POS powering everything because when it goes (and it will) it will often take everything else with it.

The Corsair CX430 V2 a fine PSU for not much money. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The case is more of a preference, so I don't really like the MS TC-128. This Thermaltake V3 would be a better option. http://www.microcenter.com/product/323929/V3_Black_Edit...

On second thought, with the rebate that Microcenter has on the NZXT Source 210, definitely go with that case
http://www.microcenter.com/product/378074/Classic_Serie...
January 4, 2013 4:37:14 PM

^This
m
l
January 4, 2013 4:56:46 PM

Or you could also buy a Corsair TX650 80 plus bronze or 750 considering the fact that your going to run a FX-6100.
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=62825&vpn=CP-9020039-N...
Sometimes its better to have a little more voltage so you can get better performance especially in your graphics card and much faster boot times.
m
l
January 4, 2013 5:12:20 PM

Sometimes its better to have a little more voltage so you can get better performance especially in your graphics card and much faster boot times. said:

Sometimes its better to have a little more voltage so you can get better performance especially in your graphics card and much faster boot times.

A PSU has nothing to do with voltage the components receive, unless it is a crappy PSU and not operating within ATX spec. Sure you can overvolt or undervolt a lot of components through BIOS/UEFI or drivers, but the PSU has NOTHING to do with this, other than supplying the power to do so. A high power PSU does not mean it "automatically" (?!) provies more voltage, or all of those 80 Plus Platinum 1K watt PSUs would melt most builds.

If someone is actively overvolting, then a higher power PSU might be worthwhile, but for this build, no way.
m
l
January 4, 2013 5:27:04 PM

If your parts are sucking 300 watts at startup your not going to have that fast of a boot time because the wattage is not too flexible if you had a 430 watt power supply. And when he is running games on that card requires a minimum of 500 watts.
m
l
January 4, 2013 5:39:45 PM

How much power a system requires on boot doesn't affect the boot times of a system. The system just takes the power it needs, and with a quality power supply, the power supply just passes it along. How much of the rated power is being called on at boot just doesn't matter.

And sure, the card IS rated at 500W min, but that's because of the crappy power supplies out there. Even at load his system will only pull about 300W absolute max. SO not only will his system not ask for 300W at boot, it will rarely or ever even need 300W.
m
l
January 4, 2013 5:44:19 PM

pc part picker said the estimated wattage is about 250W max but how is a rosewill 500W psu?
m
l
January 4, 2013 5:48:28 PM

It depends on the model of the Rosewill (newegg's house brand). Their newer designs are are actually quite good (and therefore more expensive than their old ones), but if it is a 500w it sounds like an older design, as most of their newer ones do the 450, 550, 650, 750 watt differentiation. That Corsair CX430 v2 is probably the cheapest PSU I'd recommend.
m
l
January 4, 2013 6:00:01 PM

Logisys makes PSU-shaped objects, that should never be connected to computer components if there is any chance they will be plugged into an A/C power source at the same time.
On a budget, get an Antec VP-450. It is efficient enough for 80+ (possibly bronze), but is disqualified for not having full range active PFC.
The Corsair V2 Builder reviews well, but may not hold up. That's because it was built by CWT, not Seasonic, using some inferior Samxon capacitors from a line known to experience early failure. Other good budget choices include the Antec Earthwatts line and some of the older Seasonic models.
Your motherboard is not a good choice; it's AM3+ but otherwise all old tech, plus it's MSI, known to use crappy VRMs, particularly on their AMD boards. The link to a spreadsheet I've used to show these is blocked at work (hopefully someone else who has it can post it); you'd be much safer with Asus, ASRock, or Gigabyte.
Edit: I saw the new build. Gigabyte is a much better choice, but it's still an ancient-tech 760G board. If you go AMD, you want a 970 board at the least. You'll get all newer interfaces (USB3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s) as well as 5200 (or 5600) MT/s on the Northbridge.
Also, the FX-6100 was shown in a past $1000 SBM build to be a lousy gaming CPU, even overclocked. If you can fit a FX-8320 that would be a lot better, also for your editing.

m
l
January 4, 2013 6:12:59 PM

The Corsair reviews well, but may not hold up. Start here: http://forums.hardwaresecrets.com/not-so-tough/8805 but you'll have to dig a little because it starts talking about a different PSU entirely. The gist of it is though, that the non-Seasonic V2 Builders contain inferior parts known to die early, especially when stressed. The PSUs I generally use in budget builds are the Antec 380W Earthwatts and the 360W Seasonic G360. Either of them would have no trouble powering a HD7770 24/7.
m
l
January 4, 2013 6:32:18 PM

thank you all for your responses im hoping to choose a new mobo and psu and get things rolling
m
l
January 10, 2013 11:05:42 PM

Best answer selected by garther.
m
l
!