Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My 650 ti being bottlenecked

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 20, 2012 9:10:19 PM

my build:

phenom 965 BE 3.8
evga 650 ti
asus m5a97 motherboard
8 gig ddr3 1333 patriot ram
460w cm psu
wd caviar blue hard drive

I am pretty much 100% sure my gpu is being bottlenecked. I tested in games such as skyrim, dishonored, and borderlands 2 and the highest I ever saw my gpu load go up to was 60%. In skyrim it never went over 40%. My fps would stay around 20 and 30 at medium and high settings. The benchmarks I looked at had much higher results. I do believe my parts are good enough for the 650 ti but I think my cpu might be damaged. When I ran the windows experience index, my calculations per second was only 3.7 and originally was around 7.

The highest I ever overclocked my cpu was to 4.2 and it worked fine. For some reason I underclocked it back to 3.8. That was when I started noticing cpu problems.

Does anyone know how to test whether my cpu actually has problems and how to fix it?

More about : 650 bottlenecked

a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 9:26:07 PM

koa6969 said:
my build:

phenom 965 BE 3.8
evga 650 ti
asus m5a97 motherboard
8 gig ddr3 1333 patriot ram
460w cm psu
wd caviar blue hard drive

I am pretty much 100% sure my gpu is being bottlenecked. I tested in games such as skyrim, dishonored, and borderlands 2 and the highest I ever saw my gpu load go up to was 60%. In skyrim it never went over 40%. My fps would stay around 20 and 30 at medium and high settings. The benchmarks I looked at had much higher results. I do believe my parts are good enough for the 650 ti but I think my cpu might be damaged. When I ran the windows experience index, my calculations per second was only 3.7 and originally was around 7.

The highest I ever overclocked my cpu was to 4.2 and it worked fine. For some reason I underclocked it back to 3.8. That was when I started noticing cpu problems.

Does anyone know how to test whether my cpu actually has problems and how to fix it?


What drivers are you using?

A Phenom II x4 @ 3.8 ghz doesn't bottleneck a gtx 650ti
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 9:31:27 PM

He is right . 965 dsnt bottleneck 650 Ti.

Maybe u need to update driver's as he said too ?

The FPS are stable on 20-30 ?

Any BSOD /game crash or any other problem ?

Maybe the card is just faulty ?

And 1 last Q : Your resolution ?
m
0
l
Related resources
November 20, 2012 9:46:44 PM

my drivers are up to date, my fps is stable, no game crashes, 1600x900 res

I think my cpu is messed up. On amd overdrive it says each of my cores are running at .8 ghz at all times, even when running stress tests. It also says that my vcore is at 1.128v but in bios i set it to about 1.5v. I will continue to do research to find out a solution to this problem. Any help from you guys is appreciated.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 9:50:38 PM

1.5V on bios ... Get it to 1.3 fast.

Maybe try a CMOS reset .Maybe u messed up smth there. Do that and reply to us again
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 9:57:51 PM

i changed it to 1.3v, no performance change.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 9:59:36 PM

Try reseting the bios. Or I assume the PSU is delivering enough power right .

What version of Cm is? Extreme ? Cuz usually the CM is a really bad PSU except the silent M series.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 9:59:44 PM

You may want to re-seat the cpu cooler. It may be loose. You need to get some new thermal paste and set it on again. Check for broken or loose cpu cooler mounts.
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 10:00:24 PM

hasten said:
Whats your temps? It sounds like your CPU is being throttled.


sry, I should have mentioned this earlier. It is really wierd but when running prime my temperature would be around 35. At idle it is also around 35. my cooler is a hyper 212 and when running prime, it spins at 700 rpm.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2012 10:06:46 PM

Try getting a PSU for test ?
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 10:29:24 PM

prototype18 said:
Try getting a PSU for test ?


thanks for the advice

i dont have a spare gpu but there is something i can do for a test. I have an older gt 430 that i can temporarily use instead of my 650 ti. ill test that later
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 11:42:53 PM

prototype18 said:
Hmm i think it ur psu. If it is the extreme CM 460 yes it is the problem.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-El...

It can deliver max 354 W on the 12 V rail(CPU GPU use) it fail do to more at 420W

965 on stock is 125W

and the Gtx 650 ti gets a good 231W

=356 immagine the GPU pulling more ?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6359/the-nvidia-geforce-g...


i think you might be right, but the article said that the psu shut down if it exceeded 420w
m
0
l
November 21, 2012 2:06:15 AM

How about you test and see what your bottleneck is.

1st: Test with Fraps at your current resolution write down the FPS.

2nd: re-run the same benchmark at a lower resolution. If the FPS stays the same at the lower resolution you have a CPU bottleneck. If the FPS goes up at the lower resolution you have a GPU bottleneck. Let us know.
m
0
l
November 21, 2012 2:46:15 AM

cbag said:
How about you test and see what your bottleneck is.

1st: Test with Fraps at your current resolution write down the FPS.

2nd: re-run the same benchmark at a lower resolution. If the FPS stays the same at the lower resolution you have a CPU bottleneck. If the FPS goes up at the lower resolution you have a GPU bottleneck. Let us know.


My fps went up about 5 fps after switching from 1600x900 to 1366x768. I am pretty sure bottlenecking is not the problem though.
m
0
l
November 21, 2012 2:48:19 AM

hasten said:
Have you looked at your CPU rate during these tests? 35 isn't out of the line for AMD gear, but is still pretty low. Make sure it isn't throttling when under stress... Have you tried reseating your heatsink or resetting your settings back to optimal default?


It is not throttling at all. I did reset to optimal defaults in bios.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 5:36:32 AM

try this to test psu
pullout your gpu and use your onboard gpu and then start your pc and check out speed of cpu during prime95
if its speed remains at your clocked speed then probabily its psu problem

also use gpuz to check if "bus interface" is "pcie-2.0 x16 @ x16 2.0" or not
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 5:42:13 AM

hasten said:
You're up there. Could certainly be the issue. I've found that PSU requirements are usually a bit overstated though. I ran a Phenom II 960t @ 4ghz and a GTX 460 1gb @ 800 on a Corsair CX430 for half a year with no problems. A bit more juice than you are using and a bit better PSU... I would try putting everything at stock before swapping PSUs, although get yourself a better PSU!


Its a cx 430W not Cr*pmaster 460W.

Cx 430 is a very good psu (bottom line)



@OP did u try with the Gt 430?
m
0
l
November 21, 2012 6:54:21 AM

koa6969 said:
sry, I should have mentioned this earlier. It is really wierd but when running prime my temperature would be around 35. At idle it is also around 35. my cooler is a hyper 212 and when running prime, it spins at 700 rpm.


That can't be right unless the CPU is throttling. Try running your fan at full 2k rpm and see if your problems resolve. What program are you using to check fan speed, cpu temp, and cpu ghz?
m
0
l
November 21, 2012 4:07:57 PM

prototype18 said:
Its a cx 430W not Cr*pmaster 460W.

Cx 430 is a very good psu (bottom line)



@OP did u try with the Gt 430?


tried 430, but the cpu was still operating at 800 mhz at all times. I also took out a stick of ram to see if that would help, but it made no difference.
m
0
l
November 21, 2012 4:24:34 PM

actually maybe I do have a throttling issue. i tried to fix it in the power option settings but it is not working. I will go into Bios to try to fix it.
m
0
l
November 21, 2012 5:06:18 PM

Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of throttling? In bios I disabled cool and quiet options and c1e but my cpu still runs at a constant 800 mhz.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 8:51:36 PM

Hmm How about trying a different PSU to test it ?

Try this and tell us
m
0
l
November 21, 2012 9:34:21 PM

I do not have an extra psu but I will ask my friend if I can borrow his. I think his is 600w or something
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2012 11:36:35 AM

Ah ok will do the job. Try it and tell us.

And in bios check the multiplier . How much it is ?

If u can do some pic to the bios ?
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
November 22, 2012 12:00:56 PM

Try this and watch the clocks, cpu-z sometime mis reports the clocks while amd overdrive I just don't trust. I highly doubt that your cpu is to blame and some games are not going to put the gpu to full load. I also doubt that your power supply is the problem and if it was you would have plenty of lockups as well crashes.

If any thing check the bios settings for your board (base clock and HT speed) and the ram timings. The memory controller for the Phenom line isn't all that great but slow timings can nerf everything. List all the games and their settings that you are playing.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2012 5:25:33 PM

Agree with nforce4max here.I also find it hard to believe that your psu is causing all these issues,especially as the TDP of a 650 Ti is 110W,so that means your system won't pull more than 300-315W.
What you can try is clearing the CMOS,updating your BIOS if available,re-seating your CPU and re-installing the cooler properly.
If this doesn't work you should submit the scores of each of your components on Windows Experience Index(WEI),so that we may relate those with the standard scores of the hardware you're using.
m
0
l
!