Advice needed on $1000 business build

Hi All,
I'm building a new PC for my parents and have some concerns that I haven't had before with previous systems. Would you take a look and let me know what changes you'd make?

Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vHUs
Main use: Mostly business applications with some very light gaming.
Main concerns (in order):
1. DUST! My parents have two cats with very long fur, 4 dogs, and oh yeah the case is going to be on the floor. I'd like a case with good dust control, decent cable management, and quiet would be nice.
2. Stability. Don't want to have to walk parents through updating firmware or anything like that.
8 answers Last reply
More about advice needed 1000 business build
  1. The Ghost isn't a bad case, but the Fractal Design R4 just won Tom's silent case review, and with its filters and closed off design would help with hair/dust protection.

http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-Define-Cases-FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL/dp/B008HD3CTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357324300&sr=8-1&keywords=fractal+design+r4

The build otherwise looks good to me, although I'm not sure why they would need a $100+ GPU for business uses.

EDIT: if you need a GPU consider a cheaper one (its only for business use) like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102988
  2. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vRYG

I made a few small changes, looks good otherwise.
  3. get the i5-3470 its cheaper and if they don't game they will be fine on the HD 2500 graphics.
  4. Why not get a LAPTOP?

I recommended this to a friend and they are very happy. This is how they have it setup:

MONITOR:
    HDMI->DVI cable

SPEAKERS:
    3.5mm headphone output-> desktop speakers

Mouse/Keyboard:
    Logitech micro-USB receiver

They bought a great Asus $500 laptop with HD7000 series graphics. It's incredibly quiet. The laptop and cables are organized nicely out of the way. They never use the laptop screen (it's left closed).

I started off looking at desktops, but for the same cost the laptop was smaller, quieter, had a battery (power interruptions) and could be unhooked and used as a laptop if need be.

*Oh, and for POWER I just had them set it up to go into STANDBY automatically (45 minutes) until they press a key on the USB keyboard. They NEVER have to open the laptop or touch any keys on it.
  5. you usually pay more for less with a laptop. it depends on what your needs are.
  6. From what you've described as far as use and users. Wouldn't a $500 per-built suffice or possibly be better? Single warranty and support support alone is reason enough for me not to build PC's for my family.

If they're really wanting to drop a grand on a new machine, add one or two nice big monitors. I set my mom up with 2 23" 1080p's + a 6450 for Christmas, did my annual 5 BS explorer toolbar removal and reg clean up on her Dell C2Q. Monitors make a huge difference in user experience, she said it feels like a totally different PC. An added bonus with the new big monitors she's got room for tons of useless toolbars.
  7. bjaminnyc said:
    An added bonus with the new big monitors she's got room for tons of useless toolbars.

thats pretty funny. while i agree with you that for some people its easier to just buy a pre built dell/hp. they wouldn't notice the difference or even care if they got a 3960X or a dual core G860. if you want the most for your money you need to build it yourself.
  8. bjaminnyc said:
    From what you've described as far as use and users. Wouldn't a $500 per-built suffice or possibly be better? Single warranty and support support alone is reason enough for me not to build PC's for my family.

If they're really wanting to drop a grand on a new machine, add one or two nice big monitors. I set my mom up with 2 23" 1080p's + a 6450 for Christmas, did my annual 5 BS explorer toolbar removal and reg clean up on her Dell C2Q. Monitors make a huge difference in user experience, she said it feels like a totally different PC. An added bonus with the new big monitors she's got room for tons of useless toolbars.

While I don't disagree with you, that won't work for my folks. They've bought systems twice from probably the worst place to buy pre-built systems, eMachines.Com and both systems died within 18 months. When I looked inside I honestly couldn't tell who manufactured the parts. There were no labels on anything.

On the first one the HDD died within 6 months, I mean it physically wouldn't work. I replaced with a Western Digital but then the CPU died a few months later.
    On the second system the motherboard fried after a year. And I mean that literally, there were actual burn marks on what I think was the chipset.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product