Sign in with
Your question

Advice needed on $1000 business build

Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2013 4:24:00 PM

Hi All,
I'm building a new PC for my parents and have some concerns that I haven't had before with previous systems. Would you take a look and let me know what changes you'd make?

Link:
Main use: Mostly business applications with some very light gaming.
Main concerns (in order):
1. DUST! My parents have two cats with very long fur, 4 dogs, and oh yeah the case is going to be on the floor. I'd like a case with good dust control, decent cable management, and quiet would be nice.
2. Stability. Don't want to have to walk parents through updating firmware or anything like that.
January 4, 2013 4:34:49 PM

The Ghost isn't a bad case, but the Fractal Design R4 just won Tom's silent case review, and with its filters and closed off design would help with hair/dust protection.

http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-Define-Cases-FD-CA...

The build otherwise looks good to me, although I'm not sure why they would need a $100+ GPU for business uses.

EDIT: if you need a GPU consider a cheaper one (its only for business use) like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2013 6:01:32 PM

get the i5-3470 its cheaper and if they don't game they will be fine on the HD 2500 graphics.
m
l
January 4, 2013 6:46:28 PM

Why not get a LAPTOP?

I recommended this to a friend and they are very happy. This is how they have it setup:

MONITOR:
HDMI->DVI cable

SPEAKERS:
3.5mm headphone output-> desktop speakers

Mouse/Keyboard:
Logitech micro-USB receiver

They bought a great Asus $500 laptop with HD7000 series graphics. It's incredibly quiet. The laptop and cables are organized nicely out of the way. They never use the laptop screen (it's left closed).

I started off looking at desktops, but for the same cost the laptop was smaller, quieter, had a battery (power interruptions) and could be unhooked and used as a laptop if need be.

*Oh, and for POWER I just had them set it up to go into STANDBY automatically (45 minutes) until they press a key on the USB keyboard. They NEVER have to open the laptop or touch any keys on it.
m
l
January 4, 2013 6:57:18 PM

you usually pay more for less with a laptop. it depends on what your needs are.
m
l
January 4, 2013 7:20:03 PM

From what you've described as far as use and users. Wouldn't a $500 per-built suffice or possibly be better? Single warranty and support support alone is reason enough for me not to build PC's for my family.

If they're really wanting to drop a grand on a new machine, add one or two nice big monitors. I set my mom up with 2 23" 1080p's + a 6450 for Christmas, did my annual 5 BS explorer toolbar removal and reg clean up on her Dell C2Q. Monitors make a huge difference in user experience, she said it feels like a totally different PC. An added bonus with the new big monitors she's got room for tons of useless toolbars.
m
l
January 4, 2013 7:27:30 PM

bjaminnyc said:
An added bonus with the new big monitors she's got room for tons of useless toolbars.

thats pretty funny. while i agree with you that for some people its easier to just buy a pre built dell/hp. they wouldn't notice the difference or even care if they got a 3960X or a dual core G860. if you want the most for your money you need to build it yourself.
m
l
January 4, 2013 7:40:20 PM

bjaminnyc said:
From what you've described as far as use and users. Wouldn't a $500 per-built suffice or possibly be better? Single warranty and support support alone is reason enough for me not to build PC's for my family.

If they're really wanting to drop a grand on a new machine, add one or two nice big monitors. I set my mom up with 2 23" 1080p's + a 6450 for Christmas, did my annual 5 BS explorer toolbar removal and reg clean up on her Dell C2Q. Monitors make a huge difference in user experience, she said it feels like a totally different PC. An added bonus with the new big monitors she's got room for tons of useless toolbars.

While I don't disagree with you, that won't work for my folks. They've bought systems twice from probably the worst place to buy pre-built systems, eMachines.Com and both systems died within 18 months. When I looked inside I honestly couldn't tell who manufactured the parts. There were no labels on anything.

On the first one the HDD died within 6 months, I mean it physically wouldn't work. I replaced with a Western Digital but then the CPU died a few months later.
On the second system the motherboard fried after a year. And I mean that literally, there were actual burn marks on what I think was the chipset.
m
l
!