LOGOS/LOGOW Question

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I know how to change the startup/shutdown screens with ones supplied in desktop themes (switching the logo.sys, logos.sys, and logow.sys), but I am not sure how to alter the images themselves. Do I need a special program, or can I just ren their extension, alter the image, then ren it back?

If the latter be the case, which extension is best to use?

VSP

<i> Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
<b> nwod </b> gniog em peek reverof sthguohT </i>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The logo files are bitmaps. (.bmp) Take any .bmp file, with a size of 320 x 400 and 256 colors, and alter it in the program of your choice. When you are ready to use the image, rename the file you intend to replace with the .old file extension. Then add your new file, and rename it, as logo.sys, logow.sys, or logos.sys.

If you have a picture file that has another kind of file extension (such as .jpg), save it as a .bmp with your graphics program (even Microsoft Paint) before altering the name and placing it the Windows folder. And remember ... 256 colors.

<A HREF="http://www.nucleus.com/~kmcmurdo/win95logo.html" target="_new">Win95/98/ME Animated Logo Screens</A>

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
<b>Toe</b>,

You are da man!

I checked out the site, and it is really informative. I haven't used the utils, yet, but I will soon. I have this killer Batman silhouette logo at home that I got with a theme, but the creator, bless him, messed up the ears so much that my wife couldn't identify him. I will use the editor to clean it up a bit and make everyone happy, 'specially me, 'cuz it was buggin'!

BTW, I downloaded a "Shattered Windows 95 with BUGS" logo for my P.O.S. system st work: P-133, 32MB, 2GB HDD, etc. I have the oldest computer in the office, and one person (who can't even type!) has a PIII-866, 128MB, 10GB HDD. Argh!

<whine off>

Thanks again!

VSP

<i>Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
<b>nwod</b> gniog em peek reverof sthguohT</i>

TRENDING THREADS