Concert pictures - kit lens 350D

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 30, 2005 3:01:15 AM

I want to take concert pictures with kit lens (350D) without flash. Is
it possible? At least to look average. I know that kit lens is not the best
to use in low light.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 3:01:16 AM

With a tripod and long exposures, sure. Handheld, probably not.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:42:47 AM

"Dino" <dino_avdic@du.htnet.hr> wrote in message
news:D 9v26r$7dp$1@ss405.t-com.hr...
> I want to take concert pictures with kit lens (350D) without flash. Is
> it possible? At least to look average. I know that kit lens is not the
> best
> to use in low light.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/fscd1/ and click on the "Techy Stuff" link at top
left.

This was written in the days of film but within reason the exposure stuff is
still relevent (digital cameras are more akin to slide film than print film
in terms of exposure latitude...i.e. narrow).
June 30, 2005 12:17:02 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:01:15 +0200, Dino wrote:

> I want to take concert pictures with kit lens (350D) without flash. Is
> it possible? At least to look average. I know that kit lens is not the
> best to use in low light.

I'd like to drive my Ford Ranger at 300kmh, but unfortunately it's not
built for that. Neither is your kit built for concert photography.

You're looking at what is probably one of the most difficult subjects to
photograph well. Even pro's using Leica's with f/1 Noctilux lenses find
the going tough.

I don't know the specs of the 350D in terms of ISO, but the lens you
should be looking at is an 85mm f/1.8.

--
Save photography | shoot some film today!

email: drop rods and insert surfaces
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 7:31:31 PM

Dino napisa³(a):
> I want to take concert pictures with kit lens (350D) without flash. Is
> it possible? At least to look average. I know that kit lens is not the best
> to use in low light.

It depends... well hmmm it has 5.6 at tele - and you should even reduce
it to 6.3 - but you surely can use iso 1600(totally useble)... I use
3200 even (1600 ev:-1)

I would take a monopod on concert...

--
........Marek Mollin "rogus".......
...........ciagle szukam..........

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:01:15 +0200, in <d9v26r$7dp$1@ss405.t-com.hr>,
"Dino" <dino_avdic@du.htnet.hr> said:

> I want to take concert pictures with kit lens (350D) without flash. Is
>it possible? At least to look average. I know that kit lens is not the best
>to use in low light.

The short answer is to forget it. The 350D is up to the job, but your
lens isn't. It'll need to be fast (F1.4 - F2.8 at most) & probably long
as well, unless you can get fairly close to the stage.