Sign in with
Your question

Build questions, Android dev. ~$850 budget

Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2013 5:22:12 PM

This PC is going to be used for developing android OS from source, getting into developing mobile applications and also as a streaming media center to a PS3 or the like. My budget is ~$850 and in my cart right now are the following:
PSU - RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS $51
CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K $330
MB - ASUS P8Z77-V LE $140
SSD - Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB $102
RAM - Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series 16GB $90
HDD - Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB $105
Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 912 $70
For a grand total of $888 before discounts/rebates are applied.

What would you guys change and why? Thank you very much for your time!
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2013 1:05:49 AM

Hi. That looks good. If you want, you can get this RAM for $70 after promo code:

G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And I recommend going with with a different PSU like these:

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W

XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W
January 5, 2013 6:43:24 PM

Just curious as to why you chose these PSU's? I know they are Bronze Certified, but what differences are there that I should be more aware of for the future?

And thank you for your reply.
Related resources
January 5, 2013 7:29:54 PM

Any comments on this PSU for $100? Is it worth the $40 more than the XFX?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2013 7:34:48 PM

gti3358 said:
Any comments on this <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...">PSU</a> for $100? Is it worth the $40 more than the XFX?

you do NOT need a 750 watt PSU!

those two posted prior are fine quality PSUs @ a more appropriate wattage. you can even use thsi:
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 $44.99

since you do not have a graphics card, your system won't even hit 200 watts on full load.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2013 8:05:01 PM

I chose them because they are reliable budget PSUs approved by competent review sites. I'm not sure if the OP plans to add a graphics card in the future or not so I didn't mention the CX430. Are you looking for one with modular cabling?
January 5, 2013 8:46:20 PM

johnsonjohnson said:
I chose them because they are reliable budget PSUs approved by competent review sites. I'm not sure if the OP plans to add a graphics card in the future or not so I didn't mention the CX430. Are you looking for one with modular cabling?

To be honest with you, yes I plan on adding a graphics card in the near future along with 3-4 other HDDs. I will probably never use an SLI or CrossFire but plan to get a decent enough card in case i want to play some games or do some video editing. Modular is nice but not needed and I know 750 is way overkill for this system but if it is in a range that I am comfortable spending for a 5 yr warranty + platinum cert. then is it going to hurt? I know it is way overkill just is it worth the $40 more than the XFX? Will it be too overpowered that the energy savings doesn't even exist? Or right now is it best to just pick up the Corsair 430 and when I start to pick up more components for the PC then upgrade the PSU? Again thanks for the help.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2013 12:28:38 AM

Well if you're comfortable with spending $40 for this PSU, then go for it. It costs more so it will hurt your wallet. We try to select the appropriate PSU for your system and your budget. How much energy savings you get depends on your system usage; it may or may not be worth the premium price. It's a good deal that's just overkill for you. On the other hand most of the 600/650W PSUs costs around the same or a little less. Whether you should get the CX430 now then upgrade later or not is up to you. If you don't mind spending more time and money to upgrade the PSU and need one right now, then you can get the CX430 for $20 after promo code and rebate and look for a good deal on a PSU you want afterward. The XFX was going for $40 after promo code and rebate not that long ago. So nothing beats a good deal but it's still a good PSU regardless.

Edit: This one sits right in between.

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ($80 after rebate)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2013 1:07:15 AM

gti3358 said:
To be honest with you, yes I plan on adding a graphics card in the near future along with 3-4 other HDDs. I will probably never use an SLI or CrossFire but plan to get a decent enough card in case i want to play some games or do some video editing. Modular is nice but not needed and I know 750 is way overkill for this system but if it is in a range that I am comfortable spending for a 5 yr warranty + platinum cert. then is it going to hurt? I know it is way overkill just is it worth the $40 more than the XFX? Will it be too overpowered that the energy savings doesn't even exist? Or right now is it best to just pick up the Corsair 430 and when I start to pick up more components for the PC then upgrade the PSU? Again thanks for the help.

yes it will. PSUs take a nose dive when under a 20%; up to 5%-8% in its efficiency rating. to make a long story short when you idle, which computers do mostly, you will be sitting their with a platinum PSU getting the efficiency of a 80+ or bronze rated. and btw, that PSU barely passes platinum qualifications by 0.1%.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-Tachyon...

honestly with adding a graphics card of ~180 watts (pretty much the most you'll see aside from a 7970) and adding several more hard drives of 10 watts @ start up and 5 watt @ read/writing your consumption will still be under 450 watts. . . . just saying.
January 6, 2013 10:25:19 AM

johnsonjohnson said:
Well if you're comfortable with spending $40 for this PSU, then go for it. It costs more so it will hurt your wallet. We try to select the appropriate PSU for your system and your budget. How much energy savings you get depends on your system usage; it may or may not be worth the premium price. It's a good deal that's just overkill for you. On the other hand most of the 600/650W PSUs costs around the same or a little less. Whether you should get the CX430 now then upgrade later or not is up to you. If you don't mind spending more time and money to upgrade the PSU and need one right now, then you can get the CX430 for $20 after promo code and rebate and look for a good deal on a PSU you want afterward. The XFX was going for $40 after promo code and rebate not that long ago. So nothing beats a good deal but it's still a good PSU regardless.

Edit: This one sits right in between.

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ($80 after rebate)

Anonymous said:
yes it will. PSUs take a nose dive when under a 20%; up to 5%-8% in its efficiency rating. to make a long story short when you idle, which computers do mostly, you will be sitting their with a platinum PSU getting the efficiency of a 80+ or bronze rated. and btw, that PSU barely passes platinum qualifications by 0.1%.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-Tachyon...

honestly with adding a graphics card of ~180 watts (pretty much the most you'll see aside from a 7970) and adding several more hard drives of 10 watts @ start up and 5 watt @ read/writing your consumption will still be under 450 watts. . . . just saying.

Thank you guys so much for better helping me understand exactly what I need and how they work. I am going with the Corsair CX430 for now and if a screaming deal on a 500-550 watt PSU comes along I can jump on it with little guilt.

Oh and BTW I got this build down to $800.72 with rebates and instant savings!

Thanks again for putting up with me!!!!
!