SPTI firewire problem

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Can anybody help me with the following problem?
I am using SPTI's IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH call to send MMC "READ
CAPACITY"(25h) command from my XP PC to the FireWire DVD-drive [in fact,
this is just usual internal DVD-writer hosted in the firewire enclosure.
Commercial Audio CD is used as media in the tray - I tried several Audio CDs
with the same result]. So, drive's behaviour to this command is very
strange: driver reports SRB_STATUS_REQUEST_FLUSHED (0x16) SRB status, then ,
in a short time, it reports SRB_STATUS_NO_DEVICE (0x08) status [as reported
by BusHound] and indeed driver is disconnected from the system at this point
and unusable. Device Manager reports that it unable to start this device
(Code 10) . Of course, I am sending the sequence of different commands to
the drive but this "disconnection" always happens on READ CAPACITY. The same
very DVD-drive on the same computer works fine while being connected to IDE
port and "READ CAPACITY" works fine, so it should be FireWire-related
"software" problem of some kind. Windows Media Player 9 works fine at the
very same computer with this firewire drive and issues "READ CAPACITY"
command [among others] without any problems.[ Does WMP uses SPTI, btw?]
Anyway, what could be reason and whould you recommend me to check first? I
am really stuck up to my head in this, so ANY help will be GREATLY
appreciated!
Many thanks!
Igor.
P.S.
if you want to contact me by e-mail, replace "no-spam" part in the e-mail
address from this message with the following literal "iholodov"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Probably you have a bad 1394 <-> IDE bridge hardware. Try Nero. Will it
burn via such a hardware?

> "software" problem of some kind. Windows Media Player 9 works fine at the
> very same computer with this firewire drive and issues "READ CAPACITY"
> command [among others] without any problems.[ Does WMP uses SPTI, btw?]

No. But PowerDVD do use SPTI.

I had a buggy SPTI filter once. The bug was minor (though BSOD) and fixed in 30
minutes, but WMP never hit this bug while playing a movie, and PowerDVD hit it
each time.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

igor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Thank you!
> Probably you have a bad 1394 <-> IDE bridge hardware.
Probably... How to determine that? In fact, I tried few firewire cards on my
PC and also tried 2 different enclosures from different manufacturers - but
the problem remains. Overall, it looks like the problem is on OS/software,
not hardware side...

> Try Nero. Will it burn via such a hardware?
Yes, Nero works no problem, but this fact is of little help: Nero does not
use SPTI at all - it uses partially ASPI [for IDE] , partially its own
proprietory "access layer" [for Firewire, USB] - oh well, to the best of my
knowledge...
I am pretty sure about that my problem lies somewhere on "access" [SPTI?]
level, because my CDBs are fine [as BusHound reports] and everthing works
perfect when I connect the same DVD-drive via IDE

> No. But PowerDVD do use SPTI.
Thanks for the hint, I'll try PowerDVD

> I had a buggy SPTI filter once.
Oh, I have a feeling that I am missing something very important here - what
is *SPTI filter* ?
How exactly did you fix it?

Many many thanks!
I really appreciate your help!

"Maxim S. Shatskih" <maxim@storagecraft.com> wrote in message
> Probably you have a bad 1394 <-> IDE bridge hardware. Try Nero. Will it
> burn via such a hardware?
>
>> "software" problem of some kind. Windows Media Player 9 works fine at the
>> very same computer with this firewire drive and issues "READ CAPACITY"
>> command [among others] without any problems.[ Does WMP uses SPTI, btw?]
>
> No. But PowerDVD do use SPTI.
>
> I had a buggy SPTI filter once. The bug was minor (though BSOD) and fixed
> in 30
> minutes, but WMP never hit this bug while playing a movie, and PowerDVD
> hit it
> each time.
>
> --
> Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
> StorageCraft Corporation
> maxim@storagecraft.com
> http://www.storagecraft.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

> Yes, Nero works no problem, but this fact is of little help: Nero does not
> use SPTI at all - it uses partially ASPI [for IDE] , partially its own

Absolutely not so. Nero relies on IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT, at least on
SCSI, USB and 1394. I saw this in the SCSI monitor.

Well, you know, ASPI is a wrapper around SPTI anyway :)

> proprietory "access layer" [for Firewire, USB] - oh well, to the best of my
> knowledge...

I cannot understand how IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT can depend on connection
bus.

> Oh, I have a feeling that I am missing something very important here - what
> is *SPTI filter* ?

Filter below CdRom and above the storage port which filtered all SCSI and SPTI
requests.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation
maxim@storagecraft.com
http://www.storagecraft.com

igor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Thank you very much, Maxim, you are very helpful indeed!

> Absolutely not so. Nero relies on IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT, at least
> on
> SCSI, USB and 1394. I saw this in the SCSI monitor.
Thanks for info! Sorry for a bit naive question but what is the *SCSI
monitor* you are using, the one which allows you to trace down
SPTI/DeviceIoControl calls?

> Well, you know, ASPI is a wrapper around SPTI anyway :)
Oh, really? You mean Adaptec's ASPI implementation or what? I thought ASPI
[from Adaptec at least] was much more than that, not just another funny API
around, I mean, but something comprising "fat" kernel-level stuff and
working sort of parallel to SPTI delivery mechanism... and , btw, if ASPI is
simply a wrapper over the SPTI, why FireWire and USB devices are not visible
via ASPI? Frankly, this ASPI stuff is of pure theoretical interest to me, I
am not going to use ASPI anyway, just curious... so you may just ignore
these comments :)

> I cannot understand how IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT can depend on
> connection bus.
You still speaking about ASPI here, right? Well, neither do I ... and what
do you mean by "connection bus" btw? Physical bus like IDE or Firewire? Or
something else?

> Filter below CdRom and above the storage port which filtered all SCSI and
> SPTI
> requests.
Very interesting! You told you were having trouble with it once and you
fixed it. Can you reveal the partucular info how did you do that? And, sorry
for pushing you, speaking of the particular problem I have [i.e.
SPTI-FireWire-disconnect], what would be your primary culprit for that? What
would you recommend to check/investigate/look into? Frankly, I am still
looking for any hint regarding how to approach my problem...
Sorry for being so bothering, I really am!

>> Yes, Nero works no problem, but this fact is of little help: Nero does
>> not
>> use SPTI at all - it uses partially ASPI [for IDE] , partially its own
>
> Absolutely not so. Nero relies on IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT, at least
> on
> SCSI, USB and 1394. I saw this in the SCSI monitor.
>
> Well, you know, ASPI is a wrapper around SPTI anyway :)
>
>> proprietory "access layer" [for Firewire, USB] - oh well, to the best of
>> my
>> knowledge...
>
> I cannot understand how IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT can depend on
> connection
> bus.
>
>> Oh, I have a feeling that I am missing something very important here -
>> what
>> is *SPTI filter* ?
>
> Filter below CdRom and above the storage port which filtered all SCSI and
> SPTI
> requests.
>
> --
> Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
> StorageCraft Corporation
> maxim@storagecraft.com
> http://www.storagecraft.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

> Thanks for info! Sorry for a bit naive question but what is the *SCSI
> monitor* you are using, the one which allows you to trace down
> SPTI/DeviceIoControl calls?

My own code. My own SCSI monitor.

> simply a wrapper over the SPTI, why FireWire and USB devices are not visible
> via ASPI?

Because ASPI is stupid legacy idiocy inherited from MS-DOS. Forget ASPI.

> Very interesting! You told you were having trouble with it once and you
> fixed it. Can you reveal the partucular info how did you do that?

The trouble was some minor, but it revealed the fact that WMP does not send any
SPTI commands, while PowerDVD does.

> for pushing you, speaking of the particular problem I have [i.e.
> SPTI-FireWire-disconnect], what would be your primary culprit for that? What

I cannot understand why READ CAPACITY does not work. The CDFS filesystem relies
on this call to mount.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation
maxim@storagecraft.com
http://www.storagecraft.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

For aspi.sys, there is no need to use SPTI. It can use IRP_MJ_SCSI. SPTI is
always synchronous, and this doesn't playwell with ASPI model.

"Maxim S. Shatskih" <maxim@storagecraft.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, Nero works no problem, but this fact is of little help: Nero does
>> not
>> use SPTI at all - it uses partially ASPI [for IDE] , partially its own
>
> Absolutely not so. Nero relies on IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT, at least
> on
> SCSI, USB and 1394. I saw this in the SCSI monitor.
>
> Well, you know, ASPI is a wrapper around SPTI anyway :)
>
>> proprietory "access layer" [for Firewire, USB] - oh well, to the best of
>> my
>> knowledge...
>
> I cannot understand how IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT can depend on
> connection
> bus.
>
>> Oh, I have a feeling that I am missing something very important here -
>> what
>> is *SPTI filter* ?
>
> Filter below CdRom and above the storage port which filtered all SCSI and
> SPTI
> requests.
>
> --
> Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
> StorageCraft Corporation
> maxim@storagecraft.com
> http://www.storagecraft.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Your READ CAPACITY is probably malformed.

--
http://www.firestreamer.com - NTBackup to DVD and DV

<no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can anybody help me with the following problem?
> I am using SPTI's IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH call to send MMC "READ
> CAPACITY"(25h) command from my XP PC to the FireWire DVD-drive [in fact,
> this is just usual internal DVD-writer hosted in the firewire enclosure.
> Commercial Audio CD is used as media in the tray - I tried several Audio
> CDs with the same result]. So, drive's behaviour to this command is very
> strange: driver reports SRB_STATUS_REQUEST_FLUSHED (0x16) SRB status, then
> , in a short time, it reports SRB_STATUS_NO_DEVICE (0x08) status [as
> reported by BusHound] and indeed driver is disconnected from the system at
> this point and unusable. Device Manager reports that it unable to start
> this device (Code 10) . Of course, I am sending the sequence of different
> commands to the drive but this "disconnection" always happens on READ
> CAPACITY. The same very DVD-drive on the same computer works fine while
> being connected to IDE port and "READ CAPACITY" works fine, so it should
> be FireWire-related "software" problem of some kind. Windows Media Player
> 9 works fine at the very same computer with this firewire drive and issues
> "READ CAPACITY" command [among others] without any problems.[ Does WMP
> uses SPTI, btw?] Anyway, what could be reason and whould you recommend me
> to check first? I am really stuck up to my head in this, so ANY help will
> be GREATLY appreciated!
> Many thanks!
> Igor.
> P.S.
> if you want to contact me by e-mail, replace "no-spam" part in the e-mail
> address from this message with the following literal "iholodov"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

It is easy to make a mistake in a SPTI request, eg, specify OUT instead of
IN or set invalid lengths. You may want to try firestreamer-dvd to see if
your drive disconnects. Firestreamer issues READ CAPACITY for DVD-ROMs only,
not for rewritable disks.

If your READ CAPACITY is flushed, then the problem is most likely with the
*previous* command, not with READ CAPACITY.

--

"igor" <no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> uses SPTI, btw?] Anyway, what could be reason and whould you recommend
>>> me
>>> to check first? I am really stuck up to my head in this, so ANY help
>>> will
>>> be GREATLY appreciated!
>>> Many thanks!
>>> Igor.
>>> P.S.
>>> if you want to contact me by e-mail, replace "no-spam" part in the
>>> e-mail
>>> address from this message with the following literal "iholodov"

igor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

> Firestreamer issues READ CAPACITY for DVD-ROMs only, not for rewritable
In a way, so do I, only for CDs - I am using READ FORMAT CAPACITIES for
writable CD media, but, as I said, there was commercial Audio CD in the
tray, so READ CAPACITY was used. And, thanks for advice, I would give a try
to Firestreamer, although I do not quite see how it will help me to approach
my problem... but thanks anyway!

> If your READ CAPACITY is flushed, then the problem is most likely with the
> *previous* command, not with READ CAPACITY.
Right. As you can see from the SCSI log, it is GET EVENT STATUS was flashed
and the previous command was exactly "READ CAPACITY".

> It is easy to make a mistake in a SPTI request, eg, specify OUT instead of
> IN or set invalid lengths.
Agree. But you can see from the SCSI log that both direction and size are
Ok.
Also, let me put it this way: unless I am terribly mistaken, malformed CDB
is malformed CDB, no more, no less. You can send it via Firewire or you can
send it via IDE - it still remains malformed CDB, right? If you are sending
malformed CDB to the device, it won't work no matter what do you send it
through: IDE or FireWire, right? Correct me if I am wrong. Also, while
sending malformed CDB, you have a good chance to get back appropriate SCSI
sense code [e.g. "5 26 00 INVALID FIELD IN PARAMETER LIST"] none of which
are present here. What IS present, though, is weird behaviour which is
peculiar to FireWire only. Overall, it looks more like sort of timing-like
issue to me, could it be that way? If yes, is there any control over it? Or
perhaps there are some mandatory Firewire windows updates/patches which I am
not aware about... Btw, are you aware of any? The nature of the problem
makes me to suspect that the solution to my problem lies more likely in this
area, rather than in CDB tweaking - although, I can be mistaken on this, of
course.... What do you think?

> It is easy to make a mistake in a SPTI request, eg, specify OUT instead of
> IN or set invalid lengths. You may want to try firestreamer-dvd to see if
> your drive disconnects. Firestreamer issues READ CAPACITY for DVD-ROMs
> only, not for rewritable disks.
>
> If your READ CAPACITY is flushed, then the problem is most likely with the
> *previous* command, not with READ CAPACITY.
>
> --
> http://www.firestreamer.com - NTBackup to DVD and DV
>

> "igor" <no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you for you reply!
>>
>>> Your READ CAPACITY is probably malformed.
>> I do not think so ... for it is not so easy to malform such trivial
>> command as "READ CAPACITY" - although certainly possible :) Seriously, as
>> far as I can see, the command is perfectly fine, only the drive behaviour
>> is weird [ in the firewire enclosure only, the same drive works fine
>> while connected via IDE]. Here is the excerpt from the SCSI logs I
>> collected: firewire and ide (see attachments) - just to make sure ...
>> Many thanks!
>> Igor.
>>

>> "cristalink" <cristalink@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>>> Your READ CAPACITY is probably malformed.
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.firestreamer.com - NTBackup to DVD and DV
>>>

>>> <no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

> your drive disconnects. Firestreamer issues READ CAPACITY for DVD-ROMs only,
> not for rewritable disks.

READ CAPACITY is a reader command, and must not be used for writing, there is
READ WRITE CAPACITY.

--

>> Firestreamer issues READ CAPACITY for DVD-ROMs only, not for rewritable
>> disks.
> In a way, so do I, only for CDs - I am using READ FORMAT CAPACITIES for
> writable CD media, but, as I said, there was commercial Audio CD in the
> tray, so READ CAPACITY was used. And, thanks for advice, I would give a
> try to Firestreamer, although I do not quite see how it will help me to
> approach my problem... but thanks anyway!

I've got a better idea. Send one of the following from the user mode. These
are translated into READ CAPACITY. If your drive is still alive after you
sent IOCTL, then the problem is in your code. See CDROM class sources.

IOCTL_DISK_GET_LENGTH_INFO:
IOCTL_DISK_GET_DRIVE_GEOMETRY_EX:
IOCTL_DISK_GET_DRIVE_GEOMETRY:
IOCTL_CDROM_GET_DRIVE_GEOMETRY_EX:
IOCTL_CDROM_GET_DRIVE_GEOMETRY: {

>> If your READ CAPACITY is flushed, then the problem is most likely with
>> the *previous* command, not with READ CAPACITY.
> Right. As you can see from the SCSI log, it is GET EVENT STATUS was
> flashed and the previous command was exactly "READ CAPACITY".

I wouldn't use GET EVENT STATUS unless absolute necessary. As far as I can
see from your log, GET STATUS fails after INQUIRY and TEST UNIT READY, too.

>> It is easy to make a mistake in a SPTI request, eg, specify OUT instead
>> of IN or set invalid lengths.
> Agree. But you can see from the SCSI log that both direction and size are
> Ok.
> Also, let me put it this way: unless I am terribly mistaken, malformed CDB
> is malformed CDB, no more, no less. You can send it via Firewire or you
> can send it via IDE - it still remains malformed CDB, right? If you are
> sending malformed CDB to the device, it won't work no matter what do you
> send it through: IDE or FireWire, right? Correct me if I am wrong. Also,
> while sending malformed CDB, you have a good chance to get back
> appropriate SCSI sense code [e.g. "5 26 00 INVALID FIELD IN PARAMETER
> LIST"] none of which are present here.

If it only was so easy! I've seen disconnects, too. READ CAPACITY should
work though.

> What IS present, though, is weird behaviour which is peculiar to FireWire
> only. Overall, it looks more like sort of timing-like issue to me, could
> it be that way? If yes, is there any control over it? Or perhaps there are
> some mandatory Firewire windows updates/patches which I am not aware
> about... Btw, are you aware of any? The nature of the problem makes me to
> suspect that the solution to my problem lies more likely in this area,
> rather than in CDB tweaking - although, I can be mistaken on this, of
> course.... What do you think?

Try IOCTL from user mode first

> Many thanks!
> I really appreciate your help!
> Igor.
> P.S.
> if you want to contact me by e-mail, replace "no-spam" part in the e-mail
> address from this message with the following literal "iholodov"
>

> "cristalink" <cristalink@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> It is easy to make a mistake in a SPTI request, eg, specify OUT instead
>> of IN or set invalid lengths. You may want to try firestreamer-dvd to see
>> if your drive disconnects. Firestreamer issues READ CAPACITY for DVD-ROMs
>> only, not for rewritable disks.
>>
>> If your READ CAPACITY is flushed, then the problem is most likely with
>> the *previous* command, not with READ CAPACITY.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.firestreamer.com - NTBackup to DVD and DV
>>

>> "igor" <no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Thank you for you reply!

>>> I do not think so ... for it is not so easy to malform such trivial
>>> command as "READ CAPACITY" - although certainly possible :) Seriously,
>>> as far as I can see, the command is perfectly fine, only the drive
>>> behaviour is weird [ in the firewire enclosure only, the same drive
>>> works fine while connected via IDE]. Here is the excerpt from the SCSI
>>> logs I collected: firewire and ide (see attachments) - just to make sure
>>> Many thanks!
>>> Igor.
>>>

>>> "cristalink" <cristalink@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

igor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

thank you for the idea - I'll try that !
Many thanks again!

> [...]
>> P.S.
>> if you want to contact me by e-mail, replace "no-spam" part in the e-mail
>> address from this message with the following literal "iholodov"
>>

>> "cristalink" <cristalink@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>>> It is easy to make a mistake in a SPTI request, eg, specify OUT instead
>>> of IN or set invalid lengths. You may want to try firestreamer-dvd to
>>> see if your drive disconnects. Firestreamer issues READ CAPACITY for
>>> DVD-ROMs only, not for rewritable disks.
>>>
>>> If your READ CAPACITY is flushed, then the problem is most likely with
>>> the *previous* command, not with READ CAPACITY.
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.firestreamer.com - NTBackup to DVD and DV
>>>

>>> "igor" <no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Besides, *as far as I remember*, GET EVENT STATUS clears the status in the
device. If you send this command from your app, this interferes with
CLASSPNP. Say, a user pressed the Eject button on a locked drive, your app
reads the status, but the class cannot see it since the status is cleared.
So nobody except of you knows that the user wants the disk out. On the other
hand, the status can be cleared by the class driver before you can see it.
So GET EVENT STATUS is useless and harmful if used by anyone but CLASSPNP.

--
> [...]

>> "igor" <no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Thank you for you reply!

>>> I do not think so ... for it is not so easy to malform such trivial
>>> command as "READ CAPACITY" - although certainly possible :) Seriously,
>>> as far as I can see, the command is perfectly fine, only the drive
>>> behaviour is weird [ in the firewire enclosure only, the same drive
>>> works fine while connected via IDE]. Here is the excerpt from the SCSI
>>> logs I collected: firewire and ide (see attachments) - just to make sure
>>> Many thanks!
>>> Igor.
>>>

>>> "cristalink" <cristalink@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

igor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Thank you very much for info!
In fact, I am NOT sending this command to the drive explicitely. Where is it
from - I do not know exactly, my understanding was that some kind of
"middleware" [between my DeviceIoControl call and the drive itself ] is
sending it. I am observing this command on regular base in many places while
doing my SCSI logs and so far it was absolutely harmless, so I kindda got
an impression that it is inevitable part of working with SPTI :)
Is there any way to figure out what component [besides my program] may send
it?

> [...]
>> P.S.
>> if you want to contact me by e-mail, replace "no-spam" part in the e-mail
>> address from this message with the following literal "iholodov"
>>

>> "cristalink" <cristalink@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>>> It is easy to make a mistake in a SPTI request, eg, specify OUT instead
>>> of IN or set invalid lengths. You may want to try firestreamer-dvd to
>>> see if your drive disconnects. Firestreamer issues READ CAPACITY for
>>> DVD-ROMs only, not for rewritable disks.
>>>
>>> If your READ CAPACITY is flushed, then the problem is most likely with
>>> the *previous* command, not with READ CAPACITY.
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.firestreamer.com - NTBackup to DVD and DV
>>>

>>> "igor" <no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

CLASSPNP.SYS

--

> [...]
> >> problem lies more likely in this area, rather than in CDB tweaking -
> >> although, I can be mistaken on this, of course.... What do you think?
> >> Many thanks!
> >> I really appreciate your help!
> >> Igor.
> >> P.S.
> >> if you want to contact me by e-mail, replace "no-spam" part in the
e-mail
> >> address from this message with the following literal "iholodov"
> >>

> >> "cristalink" <cristalink@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

Seriously,
SCSI

READ

igor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

FYI: I tried to issue IOCTL_DISK_GET_DRIVE_GEOMETRY_EX instead of "READ
CAPACITY" via SPTI and it worked with my firewire drive just fine. So, at
least, I have a functional workaround, thank you very much for the idea!!!
I still do not quite understand why READ CAPACITY through SPTI does not work
[or worse, why it partially(!) does not work: works for IDE but not for
firewire] - it would be easier in a way if it wouldn't work at all <g>...
anyway ... thank you very much for your help again!

I think you did something wrong.