Why isn't Displayport more common among basic monitors?

Sorry, this is probably the wrong place to post but there didn't seem to be a right place for it.

One thing I have noticed is that Displayport capability on your basic monitor (TN panel, 60Hz essentially) is pretty much non-existent. Only options to connect to the monitor are DVI, HDMI and VGA.
I question why this is though. DisplayPort is practically on every single graphics card available on the market (Unlike VGA, which is still supported) and on some higher end motherboards. It is required for AMD Eyefinity to work, so why would monitor manufacturers not include it and force the consumer to get a $50 adapter on top of the three monitors they are buying from them. Its even royalty free so it costs manufacturers nothing to implement its design into the monitor.
Am I missing something or is it just one of those idiosyncrasies that only high end monitors support DisplayPort?

abbadon_34

Distinguished
my understanding is it was a competing digita; standard that didn't quite make it, video only drm signal, in between drm free video only (VGA and some DVI) and drm video + audio (HDMI) . Since displays got stuck at 1920x1080 the high resolution support was also unncessary. While technically supporior, the larger HDMI has caught on in the consumer space. Next year companies are supposes to ditch VGA and DVI and go to DS. Ill believe it when I see it

edit: This is my very basic understanding and I would welcome someone more intheknow to chime in.

Spaniard United

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
You have to think about its application in current video cards and monitors. Right now, most of the use that the display port gets is from eyefinity/triple+ monitor users. This represents a rather small percentage of the overall market. Most people only have 1 or maybe two monitors that they use with their PC. These are easily utilized by VGA, DVI, or HDMI. So most consumers don't even need DP, thereby most manufacturers don't need to include it, especially when adapters exist that do the job for them.

Since DP isn't poised to replace HDMI, I don't know where/how far the technology will go. For the moment however, it's gotten a boost from being included on modern video cards. We'll just have to see how far that takes it. I wouldn't count on seeing a DP port on every monitor any time soon.