Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading to a 680..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 21, 2012 5:05:00 AM

Hey there, I am planning on potentially upgrading to a GTX 680 (preferably the FTW version, but it's not definite yet). I'm currently using 2 560's SLI'd. My question is if I were to upgrade to the 680, how would it perform in games by itself? Would I be better off using one of the 560's for physX processing? Would it be possible to use the 560's sli'd as physX dedicated or would that just limit the bandwidth of my bus and negatively affect the 680, if even possible?

I get that the 680 is a beast of a card, but I can't afford to SLI them for overkill status, and I want to be sure that it's a wise decision to upgrade to a 680.

More about : upgrading 680

a b Î Nvidia
November 21, 2012 5:17:44 AM

Actually it would work fine using 1 560as dedicated physX
a b Î Nvidia
November 21, 2012 5:23:57 AM

It's not a good idea to upgrade imo
Related resources
November 21, 2012 5:28:34 AM

Why don't you think it's a good idea to upgrade?
a b Î Nvidia
November 21, 2012 5:43:21 PM

Well because it would be about 5% faster only.
November 22, 2012 3:46:07 AM

How on earth can I increase my graphics performance, then? My CPU is a i5-2500k OC'd to 4.6GHz right now, I plan on going to 4.8-5 (most likely 5) once I get an H80..

Should I SLI 670's instead or something? I'm just wanting a little more punch from my system and I feel like having 560's is holding me back from being able to notch every single setting to ultra and having high FPS (as close to 120 as possible, as I have a 120hz monitor).

Any suggestions on how to upgrade?
a b Î Nvidia
November 22, 2012 3:50:31 AM

Two 670's would be worth it i had a 570 and upgraded and i am very happy
a b Î Nvidia
November 22, 2012 3:57:24 AM

ephexx793 said:
How on earth can I increase my graphics performance, then? My CPU is a i5-2500k OC'd to 4.6GHz right now, I plan on going to 4.8-5 (most likely 5) once I get an H80..

Should I SLI 670's instead or something? I'm just wanting a little more punch from my system and I feel like having 560's is holding me back from being able to notch every single setting to ultra and having high FPS (as close to 120 as possible, as I have a 120hz monitor).

Any suggestions on how to upgrade?
Yeah you will be pissed with one 680 trust me i know what you want the answer is two 670's. ;)  Here a few examples http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eldqjLLHc9o&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bsxc3YsGak&feature=plcp

November 22, 2012 4:57:39 AM

Yeah, honestly with the 680's being the price they are now I just don't see myself being able to buy another to set up an SLI between two, if I were to even get one, any time soon. That's just a lot of $ I don't have sitting around right now.

However, the 670's are in a nice price range. Would I be losing performance if I were to grab a 670 and use one of my 560's for physX until I got another 670 for SLI?

Also, are FTW+ cards worth it? I mean, sure they may have barely higher clocks than the 'superclocked' version, but the main advantage is that they have 2GB more VRAM. How much does this actually affect performance? Between 4GB and 2GB of VRAM?
a b Î Nvidia
November 22, 2012 5:05:59 AM

You'll get about the same performance from a 670 as you would with two 560 so no you won't lose performance.The 4gb models are for two or three monitor setups.The EVGA FTW!Is a nice card certainly not the best 670 as it runs hotter and louder then some of the others but it's not a horrible choice and evga has great customer service.

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
November 22, 2012 5:10:20 AM

I would be all over that Asus TOP for its high factory overclock, cool temps, and really, really quiet fans.heavily modified PCB, with an efficient VRM design to produce low temperatures, improved voltage regulation circuitry, much better ChiL controller , specially binned chip and voltage control and monitoring support that you won't find on most other non-reference cards. It looks aggressive to me and indeed is monster let's keep it on the real not only does it violently murder most of the other 670's period it does it without even breaking a sweat! TechPoweUp gives the 670 TOP an 10.0 rating, the only 10.0 rating ever
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...

Quote :

Overall the ASUS GTX 670 Direct CU II is the best card I ever tested.
The following build quality features really sets it apart from other cards:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
November 22, 2012 5:13:42 AM

Yeah, I've always been a fan of EVGA as they prove to have reliable products and customer service, from what I've heard.. Thankfully I've never had to talk with them.

Now, if I'll be getting ~ the same performance from one 670 as two 560's, would that be noticeably boosted by using one of those 560's for physX processing?

Also, which 670 would you recommend buying? From what I can tell, the overclocks max out all around ~1084/5 mhz. I was thinking most likely I would go with an EVGA card, but if you have some input that is different I've always got an open mind.

Thanks very much for all your help, by the way.

Edit: Looks like I should've waited another minute before posting! That is exactly what I was looking for, yet sadly it is by ASUS. ASUS has great innovation and wonderful products - when they work. And when they don't, you have to deal with their god awful customer service. I had a really bad experience with ASUS one time and vowed to never buy from them again... I don't know if I am willing to break for this, but it might just happen this one time only.
November 22, 2012 5:23:22 AM

Best answer selected by ephexx793.
November 22, 2012 5:29:23 AM

Awesome, thanks a lot for everything man.. Looks like I've got a decision to make now, and that ASUS card is looking irresistible compared to the others on the market...

Edit: I dunno man, there's a lot of bad reviews about this card having major stability issues on Newegg. I know that doesn't mean every card is like that, but with ASUS' horrible customer service (also complained about in the reviews), I don't know if I can handle another nightmare with them...
a b Î Nvidia
November 22, 2012 5:38:17 AM

The reviews are old.It turned out to be a bios issue that has been fixed look when the reviews were wrote i see the recent ones are 5 stars i understand your concern though so if it make you feel better get the EVGA.I bought two MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks. MSI is asking a $389.99 price for their card, which doesn't look unreasonable, given the improved cooling and higher clocks.The other card i linked is a great card. The card uses the exact same PCB as the NVIDIA reference design GTX 680, paired with GIGABYTE's own cooling solution.Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce, a sleek behemoth that sports a triple-fanned cooler, increased Base Clock speeds, and a Boost Clock potential that appears to be second to none. Some of those terms not ringing a bell?
here a review of it http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GeForce_GTX...
November 23, 2012 12:29:03 AM

Thanks again, I think I will be keeping my eye on that Gigabyte card.. That seems to be just what I am looking for. I always have an uneasy feeling when I stray away from my "comfort zone" of trusted companies when making a hardware purchase, but this card is definitely the one I'm looking for.

Thanks for all your extensive information and linking to in-depth articles and reviews, I really appreciate the help and it has expanded my knowledge base in general!

Take care!
!