Canon Digital Rebel XT - Lens help

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 30, 2005 1:59:30 PM

A beginner, I bought a Canon Digital Rebel XT and looking for two lens.

One that has a good zoom, EF75/200 ?
One good macro lens?

I need to take pictures of dogs working, they may be 50 to 100 yards
away, and really close shots.

Bev Peabody :(

--
k9malinois
Anonymous

> A beginner, I bought a Canon Digital Rebel XT and looking for two lens.
>
> One that has a good zoom, EF75/200 ?
> One good macro lens?
>
> I need to take pictures of dogs working, they may be 50 to 100 yards
> away, and really close shots.

To get close shots of dogs that are 100 yards away, you will probably want
something with a bit more range than a 200. Also, if the shots are pretty
close, then 75mm will probably be a bit too long. A 28-300mm L lens would
seem the most appropriate, but of course, it's a pretty expensive lens.
Sigma makes a 28-300 that's about 1/5th or 1/6th the price of the Canon "L"
lens, but with a commensurate drop in quality.

steve
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 2:30:58 AM

"Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message
>> > To get close shots of dogs that are 100 yards away, you will probably

> Sure, if he had all the time in the world and money to burn, he could go
> with a 100-400 "L" and a 24-70 "L" - or even primes - but from his
> description, it sounds like he doesn't exactly have that luxury.

Two bodies!!!! Yeah that would solve the problem. ;-)

--

Rob
July 1, 2005 2:30:59 AM

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
> "Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message
>
>> Sure, if he had all the time in the world and money to burn, he
>> could go with a 100-400 "L" and a 24-70 "L" - or even primes - but
>> from his description, it sounds like he doesn't exactly have that
>> luxury.
>
> Two bodies!!!! Yeah that would solve the problem. ;-)

And generate others.

The multi-body solution was a handy one back in the F-1N, A1, AE-1,
AE-1P era. My arrangement was the first two hanging ready and the
other two in a big bag, also hanging.

Couple weeks ago I went to a luncheon-picnic and as another fellow
present said, was "loaded for bear": 20D / Canon 24-70 L and RebXT /
EF-S 10-22; Nikon CP 8700 in a fanny-pack worn in front.

I'm not as strong as I was twenty years ago, and apparently not as
staminous, either. After an hour or so lugging that load around,
minding their trajectories in all dimensions, I was ready for a break.
It was much more pleasant and productive to leave the bag and one
camera under the eye of a companion, and hit the high spots with the
other camera, coming back to switch. All that to avoid changing lenses
in a dusty environment.

I'd reckon a few weeks of every-other-day practice at that, I'll be
ready for an upcoming three-and-a-half-day project. Adjusting to the
weight will come naturally. Perfecting the two-heavy-camera ballet has
the potential to be costly. It is no trivial exercise to move into
position, choose and swing into readiness a camera while keeping
another safe and unobtrusive.

In such circumstances I'd seriously consider a super-zoom trade-off of
convenience for slightly diminished quality. If I weren't beginning to
learn to appreciate some of the subtle differences between "regular"
and "L" products. And if the zoomer would start a good deal wider than
the currently available examples. 28-300? Yes, but ...

Decisions, decisions.

Reminds me: weight and size not withstanding, I wish I'd waited that
couple months and saved up for a second 20D: the RebXT is a nice
camera with excellent output, but the 20D is much easier to control.
Rather, it makes me a much better controller with less perceived
effort.

I'll start on that weight training and conditioning program after this
long weekend. Yes I will.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

A newbie thought here (i.e. take with a grain of salt)

What about the EF 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS USM (i.e. 45-216) and then a macro
lens in addition? Or would 216 not be sufficient for the 50-100 yard
range?.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 2:11:40 PM

codetalker@hotmail.com wrote:
> A newbie thought here (i.e. take with a grain of salt)
>
> What about the EF 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS USM (i.e. 45-216) and then a
> macro
> lens in addition? Or would 216 not be sufficient for the 50-100
> yard
> range?.

Here's a dog, small, one each, taken from about thirteen yards
distance, with a 300mm lens:

http://www.fototime.com/34B0BA5E8869D4B/orig.jpg et in the corner

300mm Full frame
Canon EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS
1/400 @ f/7.1 Canon 20D
Hand-held IS Auto focus
Reduced to size in 10% decrements
Unsharp Mask 100%, 0.4, 0, Fade USM
Save For Web at Photo Shop 30 quality

I estimated the distance to be twenty yards, but when I measured it
with a metal tape, it was quite a bit less. I wonder if the OP is
accurate in the 50 to 100-yard distance specified.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

In article <1120140186.8b70ef4856d2711af6e0a3732c3191d6@teranews>,
k9malinois <k9malinois.1rg06a@no-mx.Newsgroup.Gateway> wrote:

> I need to take pictures of dogs working, they may be 50 to 100 yards
> away, and really close shots.

Bev-

At 100 yards, a dog may be hard to recognize as a dog if you use the 200mm
zoom lens. Steve Wolfe's 100-400 L lens suggestion is the closest you
might be able to use, and I expect you would be disappointed at the
greater distance. It would be a good idea to try-out a lens before
spending that kind of money, to be sure you can use it at all.

If you take a picture with a lens you have, you can estimate the focal
length you need. If the subject needs to be ten times as big in the
resulting photo, you need a lens with ten times the focal length.

Longer lenses often have smaller maximum apertures, resulting in slower
shutter speed and a greater chance of camera-shake. Unless you use a
tripod, you should also consider a lens with the Image Stabilization (IS)
feature.

Fred
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 1:52:16 PM

Have you thought about the Canon 70-300 DO lens? It's reasonably fast and
small enough that you're not going to be worrying much about it.

I've shot with a 70-200 f/2.8 L lens. Beautiful photos but too much weight
for the kind of application your are looking for.

Steve

"k9malinois" <k9malinois.1rg06a@no-mx.Newsgroup.Gateway> wrote in message

> A beginner, I bought a Canon Digital Rebel XT and looking for two lens.
>
> One that has a good zoom, EF75/200 ?
> One good macro lens?
>
> I need to take pictures of dogs working, they may be 50 to 100 yards
> away, and really close shots.
>
> Bev Peabody :(
>

> --
> k9malinois
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:54:06 PM

For macro get the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 its an excellent macro/portrait lens.
However for dogs and close up shots a 50mm f/1.4 would probably be better.
Here is an example of a close up of a dog with the 50mm f/1.4 lens

http://photography.firstchurchofthestreets.com/pets/kir...

For the reach you might do ok with a 70-200L f/4 an excellent lens, and if
200mm isn't long enough go for the Canon 100-400L also an excellent lens.