Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My modem has 2 lan ports can i set up 2 wifi routers?

Last response: in Networking
December 27, 2011 10:29:08 PM

Good day!

I have a modem with two lan ports, lan 1 is DHCP enabled and the other is not, 1 wireless router is already connected and configured on the DHCP port and already working nicely inside the house, my question is can i set up another wireless router from the lan port 2? will it work? will it not slow down the internet on lan1?
a b X LAN
December 28, 2011 3:48:20 PM

Do you want the second wireless router to act as an access point to broaden signal coverage in the house -- like an Ethernet cable to the other end of the house attached to the second wireless router?

If so, you can if the second router supports wireless AP mode -- you would make sure DHCP is off (the other router would handle that task), use the same SSID, and use different channels. If supported, this would improve network performance by providing a stronger signal and allowing access to the stronger signal in each area.

A little more detail on your equipment would help, models and connection order.
m
l
January 7, 2012 6:18:39 AM

thanks for the reply,

what i would want to do is set 2 totally different networks using 1 modem. i have 1 vsat modem which has 2 lanports, lan1 is dhcp enabled and lan 2 is not. I have already set-up lan1 on my office just beside my house, my old garage actually, with dlink dir655 which is already working. but the problem is people in my house also connects to my wifi router. and im thinking that it slows down my internet connection in the office. in the office i have 12 pcs and in the house i have 5 pcs and some other handheld gadgets that uses wifi connection.
i want to set up a 2nd wifi router inside my house in which it has its own network using lan2 of the modem. would it also slow down the internet connection? or it would be different? if it would be just the same i guess i dont have to buy another wifi router inside the house.

sorry im just a newbie in this kind of stuff.. thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
a b X LAN
January 7, 2012 4:16:22 PM

Which vsat modem model do you have? I would have to look at the specs to see if it would support two distinct wireless networks, each with its own dhcp server using a different pair of channels and obviously a different subnet on each router.

My initial thought is that the dlink dir-655 can support that many devices easily and the only real reason to add another would be to expand the coverage area if you have spotty connections at a distance from the dlink.

If you are happy with the coverage area but some experimenting indicates that your network seems slower with the additional device you have a second option. Get an inexpensive gigabit switch or two and attach it them) to one (or two) of the 4 LAN ports on the dir-655 and connect your offices machines all to wired LAN connections. Then the only wireless connections would be from the home devices.

Of course neither option will really help if the slow point in the whole chain is your single initial Internet connection speed.
m
l
January 14, 2012 5:04:16 AM

i see.. i got your point. i have a HUGHES HN7740 VSat modem. with a contention ratio of 20:1. its speed is at par on a good day but when it rains transmission gets ugly...

i really need both to be connected thru wifi. due to aesthetic purposes :-)
so what do you think is more efficient? set 2 different routers or expand my existing one? if i were to expand my existing one, can i use a different router? or should it be the same as my first wifi router?

thanks for your time.. im learning a lot..
m
l

Best solution

a b X LAN
January 14, 2012 1:26:47 PM

The big question is whether your current wireless router provides adequate coverage -- is the signal strength sufficient throughout the whole house. If so, I would just stay with one. If not, I would add a second as I described above as a wireless access point (AP).

There would be no advantage to having two different wireless networks running that I can see for your situation.
January 21, 2012 2:23:59 AM

i see.. so i think i would just add a second router as an wireless AP.. thanks a lot..

cheers!
m
l
February 2, 2012 2:28:41 AM

Best answer selected by sinn3D.
m
l
!