Caution (sensor cleaning)

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 1, 2005 5:22:29 PM

Well, I had a few spots on my D70 and figure I'd try the brush method for a
change. I used the brushes that are being sold on eBay. Anyway, I'm not
sure if the problem was that the brushes aren't as clean as they say they
are, or if it was what I used to blow air across the brush, but the brush
left pretty good size streaks behind, and I had to use the Pec Pad method
and gently scrub the streaks using the corner of the tool to get rid of
them. What a pain.

I've now come to the conclusion that the Pec Pad method is by far the gold
standard -- after using a blower -- and those of us who swap lenses a lot
will just have to learn to live with a spot here and there and not worry
about it. After all, how many times do you take a picture of the sky or a
white wall at f22?

Sheldon
July 1, 2005 9:22:45 PM

Sheldon wrote:

> Well, I had a few spots on my D70 and figure I'd try the brush method for a
> change. I used the brushes that are being sold on eBay. Anyway, I'm not
> sure if the problem was that the brushes aren't as clean as they say they
> are, or if it was what I used to blow air across the brush, but the brush
> left pretty good size streaks behind, and I had to use the Pec Pad method
> and gently scrub the streaks using the corner of the tool to get rid of
> them. What a pain.
>
> I've now come to the conclusion that the Pec Pad method is by far the gold
> standard -- after using a blower -- and those of us who swap lenses a lot
> will just have to learn to live with a spot here and there and not worry
> about it. After all, how many times do you take a picture of the sky or a
> white wall at f22?
>
> Sheldon

_Now_ you tell me; I just received my brushes a couple days ago. Perhaps
I'll give them a quick cleaning before using.

Thanks for the heads up.

BTW, what did you use to blow across the brush and how many times have
you used it (the brush)?
--
Slack
Anonymous

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 13:22:29 -0600, "Sheldon"
<sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:

>Well, I had a few spots on my D70 and figure I'd try the brush method for a
>change. I used the brushes that are being sold on eBay. Anyway, I'm not
>sure if the problem was that the brushes aren't as clean as they say they
>are, or if it was what I used to blow air across the brush, but the brush
>left pretty good size streaks behind, and I had to use the Pec Pad method
>and gently scrub the streaks using the corner of the tool to get rid of
>them. What a pain.
>
>I've now come to the conclusion that the Pec Pad method is by far the gold
>standard -- after using a blower -- and those of us who swap lenses a lot
>will just have to learn to live with a spot here and there and not worry
>about it. After all, how many times do you take a picture of the sky or a
>white wall at f22?
>
>Sheldon

I don't understand this. The sensor is covered (I believe) by a flat
optical glass (crown) plate that is anti-reflection coated, just like
any lens surface. Cleaning it (apart from the accessibility issue)
should be no more difficult (or damaging) than cleaning any lens
surface.
July 1, 2005 11:52:05 PM

"Slack" <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote in message
> Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Well, I had a few spots on my D70 and figure I'd try the brush method for
>> a change. I used the brushes that are being sold on eBay. Anyway, I'm
>> not sure if the problem was that the brushes aren't as clean as they say
>> they are, or if it was what I used to blow air across the brush, but the
>> brush left pretty good size streaks behind, and I had to use the Pec Pad
>> method and gently scrub the streaks using the corner of the tool to get
>> rid of them. What a pain.
>>
>> I've now come to the conclusion that the Pec Pad method is by far the
>> gold standard -- after using a blower -- and those of us who swap lenses
>> a lot will just have to learn to live with a spot here and there and not
>> worry about it. After all, how many times do you take a picture of the
>> sky or a white wall at f22?
>>
>> Sheldon
> _Now_ you tell me; I just received my brushes a couple days ago. Perhaps
> I'll give them a quick cleaning before using.
>
> Thanks for the heads up.
>

> BTW, what did you use to blow across the brush and how many times have you
> used it (the brush)?
> --
> Slack

Only used it once, but I would do the test where you brush it a zillion
times against a clean UV filter and look for any streaking. Also, I used a
can of compressed something -- antiflourocarbideoxidegeritol -- or something
like that. :-) That might have been the problem. I don't know. I use it
as a duster on lots of stuff.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 12:03:49 AM

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 13:22:29 -0600, "Sheldon"
<sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:

>I've now come to the conclusion that the Pec Pad method is by far the gold
>standard -- after using a blower -- and those of us who swap lenses a lot
>will just have to learn to live with a spot here and there and not worry
>about it. After all, how many times do you take a picture of the sky or a
>white wall at f22?

You made your own swab out of Pec Pads? I found sensor cleaning using
the sensor swabs + eclipse to be fairly straightforward. A little more
expensive, but it works great.

(Didn't get them from here, but here is a picture of them...)
http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/eclipse.html

I think I paid about $35 for a box of 12, and use up 1 or 2 each
clean.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

"Owamanga" <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 13:22:29 -0600, "Sheldon"
> <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:
>
>>I've now come to the conclusion that the Pec Pad method is by far the gold
>>standard -- after using a blower -- and those of us who swap lenses a lot
>>will just have to learn to live with a spot here and there and not worry
>>about it. After all, how many times do you take a picture of the sky or a
>>white wall at f22?
>
> You made your own swab out of Pec Pads? I found sensor cleaning using
> the sensor swabs + eclipse to be fairly straightforward. A little more
> expensive, but it works great.

You make a wand, or buy one which is what I did, and fold a Pec Pad around
it. Much cheaper than using Sensor Swabs, but I would bet the Sensor Swab
probably works a little better.

Sheldon
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 4:02:01 AM

"Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:

>Well, I had a few spots on my D70 and figure I'd try the brush method for a
>change. I used the brushes that are being sold on eBay. Anyway, I'm not
>sure if the problem was that the brushes aren't as clean as they say they
>are, or if it was what I used to blow air across the brush, but the brush
>left pretty good size streaks behind, and I had to use the Pec Pad method
>and gently scrub the streaks using the corner of the tool to get rid of
>them. What a pain.
>
>I've now come to the conclusion that the Pec Pad method is by far the gold
>standard -- after using a blower -- and those of us who swap lenses a lot
>will just have to learn to live with a spot here and there and not worry
>about it. After all, how many times do you take a picture of the sky or a
>white wall at f22?

The gold standard is the Olympus E System's ultrasonic dust remover.
It works extremely well, with no manual intervention required.

I just received back my E-1 from a CLA. The sensor was pronounced
spotless, and the only work needed was to replace the sticky strip
that catches the dust shaken off the sensor.

I also had two ZD lenses CLA'd, and there was absolutely no sign of
water or dust ingress despite the fact that I use my equipment
extensively on dusty construction sites and in adverse weather.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 4:02:02 AM

"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:
>>
>>Well, I had a few spots on my D70 and figure I'd try the brush method for
>>change. I used the brushes that are being sold on eBay. Anyway, I'm not
>>sure if the problem was that the brushes aren't as clean as they say they
>>are, or if it was what I used to blow air across the brush, but the brush
>>left pretty good size streaks behind, and I had to use the Pec Pad method
>>and gently scrub the streaks using the corner of the tool to get rid of
>>them. What a pain.
>>
>>I've now come to the conclusion that the Pec Pad method is by far the gold
>>standard -- after using a blower -- and those of us who swap lenses a lot
>>will just have to learn to live with a spot here and there and not worry
>>about it. After all, how many times do you take a picture of the sky or a
>>white wall at f22?
>

> The gold standard is the Olympus E System's ultrasonic dust remover.
> It works extremely well, with no manual intervention required.
>
> I just received back my E-1 from a CLA. The sensor was pronounced
> spotless, and the only work needed was to replace the sticky strip
> that catches the dust shaken off the sensor.
>
> I also had two ZD lenses CLA'd, and there was absolutely no sign of
> water or dust ingress despite the fact that I use my equipment
> extensively on dusty construction sites and in adverse weather.

Yeah, yeah, rub it in (no pun intended). <BG>

BTW, can you feel it vibrate?
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 4:57:12 AM

"Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:
>"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.net> wrote
>>
>> The gold standard is the Olympus E System's ultrasonic dust remover.
>> It works extremely well, with no manual intervention required.
>>
>> I just received back my E-1 from a CLA. The sensor was pronounced
>> spotless, and the only work needed was to replace the sticky strip
>> that catches the dust shaken off the sensor.
>>
>> I also had two ZD lenses CLA'd, and there was absolutely no sign of
>> water or dust ingress despite the fact that I use my equipment
>> extensively on dusty construction sites and in adverse weather.
>>
>Yeah, yeah, rub it in (no pun intended). <BG>
>
>BTW, can you feel it vibrate?

Alas, no. But it does work extremely well.

;-)
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 5:25:26 AM

RichA wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 02:28:26 -0000, Bubbabob
> <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:
>
> >RichA <none@none.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I don't understand this. The sensor is covered (I believe) by a flat
> >> optical glass (crown) plate that is anti-reflection coated, just like
> >> any lens surface. Cleaning it (apart from the accessibility issue)
> >> should be no more difficult (or damaging) than cleaning any lens
> >> surface.
> >>

> >It has to be about 1000 times cleaner than the lens does.
>
> Depends on the lens. Try using light microscope with dirty
> objectives.
>
> The next time you some some dunce-like camera user using swirling
> a "lens cleaning cloth" around a lens, kick them. That is the kind
> of person who has to be taught (like a kid being taught how to tie
> shoes) how to properly clean a lens or sensor.

As long as it's not my lens, why should I kick 'em? I'm not in charge
of teaching the world. Clean microfiber cloths do a good job of keeping
nose prints in check on the back of the camera, but...I sure wouldn't
follow up by wipe the lens. Others do. Their camera. Their pictures.
Their bucks for replacement. None of my business.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 5:41:19 AM

"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.net> wrote in message

> The gold standard is the Olympus E System's ultrasonic dust remover.
> It works extremely well, with no manual intervention required.<

Great idea for cleaning the sensor - now, all they have to do is overcome
the ridiculous amount of noise at moderate ISO's (this is on of mankind's
great mysteries - which will come first?, an Olympus dslr that isn't
significantly noisier than the competition, or the end of the world?...)
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 6:28:26 AM

RichA <none@none.com> wrote:

> I don't understand this. The sensor is covered (I believe) by a flat
> optical glass (crown) plate that is anti-reflection coated, just like
> any lens surface. Cleaning it (apart from the accessibility issue)
> should be no more difficult (or damaging) than cleaning any lens
> surface.

It has to be about 1000 times cleaner than the lens does.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 6:28:27 AM

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 02:28:26 -0000, Bubbabob
<rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:

>RichA <none@none.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't understand this. The sensor is covered (I believe) by a flat
>> optical glass (crown) plate that is anti-reflection coated, just like
>> any lens surface. Cleaning it (apart from the accessibility issue)
>> should be no more difficult (or damaging) than cleaning any lens
>> surface.
>>

>It has to be about 1000 times cleaner than the lens does.

Depends on the lens. Try using light microscope with dirty
objectives.

The next time you some some dunce-like camera user using swirling
a "lens cleaning cloth" around a lens, kick them. That is the kind
of person who has to be taught (like a kid being taught how to tie
shoes) how to properly clean a lens or sensor.
-Rich
July 2, 2005 2:42:10 PM

RichA wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 13:22:29 -0600, "Sheldon"
> <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:
>

>>Well, I had a few spots on my D70 and figure I'd try the brush method for a
>>change. I used the brushes that are being sold on eBay. Anyway, I'm not
>>sure if the problem was that the brushes aren't as clean as they say they
>>are, or if it was what I used to blow air across the brush, but the brush
>>left pretty good size streaks behind, and I had to use the Pec Pad method
>>and gently scrub the streaks using the corner of the tool to get rid of
>>them. What a pain.
>>
>>I've now come to the conclusion that the Pec Pad method is by far the gold
>>standard -- after using a blower -- and those of us who swap lenses a lot
>>will just have to learn to live with a spot here and there and not worry
>>about it. After all, how many times do you take a picture of the sky or a
>>white wall at f22?
>>
>>Sheldon
>>

> I don't understand this. The sensor is covered (I believe) by a flat
> optical glass (crown) plate that is anti-reflection coated, just like
> any lens surface. Cleaning it (apart from the accessibility issue)
> should be no more difficult (or damaging) than cleaning any lens
> surface.

It isn't really any harder than cleaning a lens surface.
The accessibility and visibility issue is what makes it difficult.
The method using of pec pads on a wand works extremely well once you get
the hang of it - the whole operation takes only a few minutes including
set-up.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 5:04:49 PM

> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 02:28:26 -0000, Bubbabob
> <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:
>
> >RichA <none@none.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I don't understand this. The sensor is covered (I believe) by a flat
> >> optical glass (crown) plate that is anti-reflection coated, just like
> >> any lens surface. Cleaning it (apart from the accessibility issue)
> >> should be no more difficult (or damaging) than cleaning any lens
> >> surface.
> >>

> >It has to be about 1000 times cleaner than the lens does.
>
> Depends on the lens. Try using light microscope with dirty
> objectives.
>
> The next time you some some dunce-like camera user using swirling
> a "lens cleaning cloth" around a lens, kick them.

Should I kick our publicity photographers at work when they're using their
shirt sleeves to clean all their L stuff at the Academy Awards?

Greg
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 3:35:12 PM

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 13:04:49 -0700, "G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com>
wrote:

>"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>
>> The next time you some some dunce-like camera user using swirling
>> a "lens cleaning cloth" around a lens, kick them.
>
>Should I kick our publicity photographers at work when they're using their
>shirt sleeves to clean all their L stuff at the Academy Awards?

No, but then when was the last time you saw a high-quality Academy
Award photo?

;-)

You might have, because of your job, but my point of view as an
occasional member of the general public:

Stuff destined to be a 480x320 NTSC image on tonight's news, or to be
printed at 72dpi on recycled newspaper the following day doesn't
demand quality....

So these guys could use sand-paper to clean their lenses, nobody would
notice.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Owamanga wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 13:04:49 -0700, "G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com>
> wrote:
>
>> "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> The next time you some some dunce-like camera user using swirling
>>> a "lens cleaning cloth" around a lens, kick them.
>>
>> Should I kick our publicity photographers at work when they're using
>> their shirt sleeves to clean all their L stuff at the Academy Awards?
>
> No, but then when was the last time you saw a high-quality Academy
> Award photo?
>
> ;-)
>
> You might have, because of your job, but my point of view as an
> occasional member of the general public:
>
> Stuff destined to be a 480x320 NTSC image on tonight's news, or to be
> printed at 72dpi on recycled newspaper the following day doesn't
> demand quality....
>
> So these guys could use sand-paper to clean their lenses, nobody would
> notice.

Sand paper seems to work for many of the ~subjects~ of those AW photos,

Bob ^,,^
!