Lazy Cd-Rom problem.

G

Hey all, I've got a problem I was hoping someone could help me shed some light on, I searched through the archives for some insight but had no luck.

I just upgraded my system this holiday from a 400 mhz rig to an XP 1600+. The upgrade consited of an EPoX mainboard, 40GB IBM Deskstar 60GXP hard drive, Gainward GeForce2 Ti/450, 128MB PC2100 DDR, and a Yamaha CRW2200EZ CD burner. The pieces have been coming in the mail for the past two weeks and as of today I've recieved all of it with the exception of the GeForce2 card.

With my previous rig I'd occasionaly experience CD-Rom 'spindown', this would happen a lot whenever reinstalling Win98SE. My BIOS would have no problems detecting the CD drive, and I'd then boot to DOS from the Win98SE floppy. Three choices appear and I'd choose "Boot computer with CD-Rom support and install Windows 98", which then it would load up MSCDEX and I'd hear my drive spin up to speed, but then it'd soon just slow back down again and I'd get the messege, "Startup files could not be found." Most of the time this is what would happen but every now and then when I'd attempt, it would acctualy work and I could reinstall the OS.

I just figured it was my old CD drive that was to blame, but to my surprise I found that my brand spanking new CD burner gives me the same problem, and not only that but on my brand spanking new system. Today when my CPU arrived in the mail I finaly was able to start setting up the software on my new system. I took out my previous mainboard, CPU, hard drive, cd-rom, etc, out of my case and installed all myu new stuff in its place. I booted it up and after partioning the hardrive, I was ready to install the OS. Upon attempting I got the same "Startup files can not be found" messege after attempting to install Win98SE after booting from its bootdisk.

This problem also occurs during the period of Win98 setup when it searches for installed components and needs to get drivers off the Win98 CD. Often I'll have my computer ask me to insert my Win98 cd even when it's already in the drive. And then after pushing 'Okay', I get a screen that tells me the file can not be found. If I then choose the 'browse' option to search for the file myself I find that my D: isn't even availiable as a selection.

Since the only things that my old rig and my new rig share are the computer case (Enlight 7230), the grpahics card (an original Nvidia TNT), and the OS I'm trying to install, it would seem one of those is the source of my problem.

The case: My case only puts out 250W, which is about 50W less then is recommended for my new system. Could the low power output be the cause for my problems, but having the CD rom suddenly seem to shut down from time to itme? If so then why did I suffer the same problem with my old 400 mhz setup?

The card: Could a graphics card cause this kind of problem? My replacement GeForce2 won't be here for another week so I won't know untill then... but I have been having some issues with my old TNT latley where every now and then when loading up Windows I'll get a "Your display adapter is not compatible with the current display settings." I've tried all the avaliable detonator drivers and still I experience that problem from time to time.

The OS: This is the one I'm leaning tword. Could the version of MSCDEX that is on my Windows install boot disk be slightly incompatible with my drives?

sninja387

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2001
The problem is probably your Windows98 CD. If the disc is scratched/deformed, or even if the disc is a CDR of a scratched/deformed disc, it probably won't work.

The problem could also be that the motherboard has an ultra66 controller and widows doesn't have the drivers for it, causing the CD drives not to work

Here might be a way to do the upgrade:
Copy the contents of the Windows98 to your old hard drive in their own folder (like c:\win98cd). If you can't do this, then the CD itself is damaged, and you will need a new one.

Then put that hard drive into your new system as either a slave drive or on the second IDE channel. Make sure the jumper is configured correctly.

Start the new computer using the startup disk. You can select "Boot computer without CD-Rom support" because its faster.

When the command prompt comes up, type in this line:
d:\win98cd\win98\setup ('d' is probably the letter for the old hard drive)

Windows will then install from the other hard drive.

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
I'd say this is definitely a CD problem. Your CD has become (or has always been) defective, meaning either it wasn't properly written/recorded right from the start, or became overly dusty/scratchy or the like. Get a new one!

The fact that the drive spins down makes me recall some experiences with CDs that hadn't been recorded properly. They all confuse the CD drive like this. I've also got several original CDs (not even CDR/CD-RWs) that have become defective for no good reason (sometimes no visible scratches) after about three years and very little use.