Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Advice on new build

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 4, 2013 11:03:25 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: 6 January 2013

Budget Range: 1500-2000ish, I can go over if I see a worthwhile improvement in performance.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: High-end Gaming, Heavy multitasking, Surfing the web, watching ...erm, "movies".)

Are you buying a monitor: Not right now, though I'll be buying two more later.

Parts to Upgrade: None.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Location: Georgia

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Seagate HDDs (not a big deal), EVGA and Mushkin for everything else.

Overclocking: Very yes.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, but not initially.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 for now, I'll be upgrading to 3x monitors in the future, all 3 the same make/model.

Additional Comments: I plan on upgrading later on this year by doubling the ram and getting another 670 as well as 2 more monitors.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Because I have the money and feel I spend enough time on the PC to justify the pricetag.

Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2x Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
EVGA 04G-P4-3673-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
EVGA Z77 FTW 151-IB-E699-KR LGA 1155 Intel Z77 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
LG Black Blu-ray Combo Drive Model UH12NS29 - OEM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MX MKNSSDCR120GB-MX 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
3x 18" Sata Cables http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is the build my coworkers and I have put together, any advice?

More about : advice build

January 4, 2013 11:42:06 PM

I'd get GTx 690 at least and lower some product like to these
MoBo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ (You dont need H100i because you dont need to go 5GHz, anything beyond 4.4GHz will not benefit much in games)
RAM: 8GB 1600Mhz RAM is good enough for gaming, any faster or more will be useless
m
0
l
January 5, 2013 4:32:40 AM

Everything is very good.
You don't need Water cooling or any other Fan. Because you are not going to Overclock a Non-k model.
So stock Cooler is fine.

SLI ing GTX 670 is a great Idea, it will handle 3 Monitors flawlessly... ;) 
m
0
l
Related resources
January 5, 2013 5:53:45 AM

Oops! I meant to pick the 3570k. I asked around a few places and decided to go for the 3770k. Great advice though, thanks for the reply!
m
0
l
January 5, 2013 5:55:29 AM

legendkiller said:
I'd get GTx 690 at least and lower some product like to these
MoBo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ (You dont need H100i because you dont need to go 5GHz, anything beyond 4.4GHz will not benefit much in games)
RAM: 8GB 1600Mhz RAM is good enough for gaming, any faster or more will be useless


Why? The 690 is incredibly expensive and dual GTX 670s give you the exact same performance +-2 FPS and that's around $300 cheaper.

The original build is decent. Ideal? No. EVGA motherboards aren't really worth purchasing - the BIOS isn't that intuitive and hasn't been changed in years. The included software on them isn't that great either. The Thor is a massive case and you don't really need one that big. And you don't need that setup if you're not getting an unlocked CPU. I also noticed the build lacked an SSD.

This would be a more ideal configuration:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($192.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($366.97 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1393.74
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-05 02:55 EST-0500)
m
0
l
January 5, 2013 8:53:22 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Why? The 690 is incredibly expensive and dual GTX 670s give you the exact same performance +-2 FPS and that's around $300 cheaper.

The original build is decent. Ideal? No. EVGA motherboards aren't really worth purchasing - the BIOS isn't that intuitive and hasn't been changed in years. The included software on them isn't that great either.


Noted.

Quote:
The Thor is a massive case and you don't really need one that big.


I'm very very picky about the aesthetics of the computer case, this was pretty much the only one that I liked and since I plan on upgrading to at least 2x670s then I hardly see how the space is wasted.

Quote:
And you don't need that setup if you're not getting an unlocked CPU.


Yeah, derp, I for some reason didn't type k in, I ended up with the 3770k either way.

Quote:
I also noticed the build lacked an SSD.


Look again, mushkin, near the bottom.

Quote:
This would be a more ideal configuration:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($192.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($366.97 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1393.74
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-05 02:55 EST-0500)


You downgraded literally every piece of with the exception of the typo processor and arguably the motherboard.
m
0
l
January 5, 2013 9:20:27 AM

Here my suggestion.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($208.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($394.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($185.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($136.82 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1614.20
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-05 06:22 EST-0500)
m
0
l
January 5, 2013 9:20:40 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Why? The 690 is incredibly expensive and dual GTX 670s give you the exact same performance +-2 FPS and that's around $300 cheaper.

The original build is decent. Ideal? No. EVGA motherboards aren't really worth purchasing - the BIOS isn't that intuitive and hasn't been changed in years. The included software on them isn't that great either. The Thor is a massive case and you don't really need one that big. And you don't need that setup if you're not getting an unlocked CPU. I also noticed the build lacked an SSD.

This would be a more ideal configuration:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($192.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($366.97 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1393.74
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-05 02:55 EST-0500)


Gigabyte's 670 and 680 are voltage locked btw. You can flash it to a different BIOS, but still. +1 on the Switch 810, bloody awesome case.
m
0
l
!