why not include VIA VT8237 SATA controller driver in winXP..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cn.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

My computer has a SATA hard disk, and a VIA VT8237 south bridge(built-in
SATA controller).
but the winXP installment CD do not include the driver for this SATA
controller.
When i installing the winXP, i need a floppy disk drive to load this SATA
controller driver, or the winXP setup cannot continue, because it cannot
find the hard disk and the hard disk controller without driver installed.
Many computer have a VT8237 south bridge but do not have a floppy drive. Why
not include this SATA controller driver in winXP installment CD or the
further service pack?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cn.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

The most likely reasons that the Windows XP install CD is missing the driver
are:

1) VIA did not send the driver in time for Microsoft to include it in the
distribution of the XP install CD.

OR

2) This SATA controller came onto the market after the original release of
the XP install CD.

If you want, you can create a NEW XP install CD, where you can "slipstream"
SP2 and include you SATA drivers. MaximumPC has the details in the Winter
2005 special issue (until March 8 2005).

"wingman" <wingsum@21cn.c0m> wrote in message
> My computer has a SATA hard disk, and a VIA VT8237 south bridge(built-in
> SATA controller).
> but the winXP installment CD do not include the driver for this SATA
> controller.
> When i installing the winXP, i need a floppy disk drive to load this SATA
> controller driver, or the winXP setup cannot continue, because it cannot
> find the hard disk and the hard disk controller without driver installed.
> Many computer have a VT8237 south bridge but do not have a floppy drive.
> Why
> not include this SATA controller driver in winXP installment CD or the
> further service pack?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cn.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

"wingman" <wingsum@21cn.c0m> wrote in message
> My computer has a SATA hard disk, and a VIA VT8237 south bridge(built-in
> SATA controller).
> but the winXP installment CD do not include the driver for this SATA
> controller.
> When i installing the winXP, i need a floppy disk drive to load this SATA
> controller driver, or the winXP setup cannot continue, because it cannot
> find the hard disk and the hard disk controller without driver installed.
> Many computer have a VT8237 south bridge but do not have a floppy drive.
> Why
> not include this SATA controller driver in winXP installment CD or the
> further service pack?

A very good how-to has been posted on the site:

http://www.maximumpc.com/how_to/reprint_2005-01-05.html

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cn.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Thank very much. but I think Microsoft should include this SATA driver in
sevice pack 3.
> The most likely reasons that the Windows XP install CD is missing the
driver
> are:
>
> 1) VIA did not send the driver in time for Microsoft to include it in the
> distribution of the XP install CD.
>
> OR
>
> 2) This SATA controller came onto the market after the original release of
> the XP install CD.
>

> If you want, you can create a NEW XP install CD, where you can
"slipstream"
> SP2 and include you SATA drivers. MaximumPC has the details in the Winter
> 2005 special issue (until March 8 2005).
>

> "wingman" <wingsum@21cn.c0m> wrote in message
> > My computer has a SATA hard disk, and a VIA VT8237 south bridge(built-in
> > SATA controller).
> > but the winXP installment CD do not include the driver for this SATA
> > controller.
> > When i installing the winXP, i need a floppy disk drive to load this
SATA
> > controller driver, or the winXP setup cannot continue, because it cannot
> > find the hard disk and the hard disk controller without driver
installed.
> > Many computer have a VT8237 south bridge but do not have a floppy drive.
> > Why
> > not include this SATA controller driver in winXP installment CD or the
> > further service pack?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cn.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

For the time being, just insert the manufacturer's diskette when the
installer asks if you want to load any drivers. This is very early in the
text phase and you have to hit F6 rather quickly.

> Thank very much. but I think Microsoft should include this SATA driver in
> sevice pack 3.
> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>> The most likely reasons that the Windows XP install CD is missing the
> driver
>> are:
>>
>> 1) VIA did not send the driver in time for Microsoft to include it in
>> the
>> distribution of the XP install CD.
>>
>> OR
>>
>> 2) This SATA controller came onto the market after the original release
>> of
>> the XP install CD.
>>

>> If you want, you can create a NEW XP install CD, where you can
> "slipstream"
>> SP2 and include you SATA drivers. MaximumPC has the details in the
>> Winter
>> 2005 special issue (until March 8 2005).
>>

>> "wingman" <wingsum@21cn.c0m> wrote in message
>> > My computer has a SATA hard disk, and a VIA VT8237 south
>> > bridge(built-in
>> > SATA controller).
>> > but the winXP installment CD do not include the driver for this SATA
>> > controller.
>> > When i installing the winXP, i need a floppy disk drive to load this
> SATA
>> > controller driver, or the winXP setup cannot continue, because it
>> > cannot
>> > find the hard disk and the hard disk controller without driver
> installed.
>> > Many computer have a VT8237 south bridge but do not have a floppy
>> > drive.
>> > Why
>> > not include this SATA controller driver in winXP installment CD or the
>> > further service pack?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cn.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi, the reason it might not be included is because maybe Via haven't
submitted it to MS for certification....
ChrisC
> For the time being, just insert the manufacturer's diskette when the
> installer asks if you want to load any drivers. This is very early in the
> text phase and you have to hit F6 rather quickly.

> "wingman" <wingsum@21cn.c0m> wrote in message
>> Thank very much. but I think Microsoft should include this SATA driver in
>> sevice pack 3.
>> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>>> The most likely reasons that the Windows XP install CD is missing the
>> driver
>>> are:
>>>
>>> 1) VIA did not send the driver in time for Microsoft to include it in
>>> the
>>> distribution of the XP install CD.
>>>
>>> OR
>>>
>>> 2) This SATA controller came onto the market after the original release
>>> of
>>> the XP install CD.
>>>

>>> If you want, you can create a NEW XP install CD, where you can
>> "slipstream"
>>> SP2 and include you SATA drivers. MaximumPC has the details in the
>>> Winter
>>> 2005 special issue (until March 8 2005).
>>>

>>> "wingman" <wingsum@21cn.c0m> wrote in message
>> SATA
>> installed.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cn.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I do know this, but I do not have a floppy drive :(

They only cost $15.00 these days.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

>I do know this, but I do not have a floppy drive :(
>> For the time being, just insert the manufacturer's diskette when the
>> installer asks if you want to load any drivers. This is very early in
>> the
>> text phase and you have to hit F6 rather quickly.
>>
>> --
>> "wingman" <wingsum@21cn.c0m> wrote in message
>> > Thank very much. but I think Microsoft should include this SATA driver
> in
>> > sevice pack 3.
>> > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>> > driver

>> > "slipstream"

>> > SATA
>> > installed.
> the

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cn.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I can borrow one from my roommate. But the prlobem is not a flooy dirve or
$15, MS shuold include this harddisk controller driver in windows XP. It is
really annoyed.
"Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:%23J%23h9kgDFHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> They only cost $15.00 these days.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> "wingman" <wingsum@21cn.c0m> wrote in message
> >I do know this, but I do not have a floppy drive :(
> > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
> >> For the time being, just insert the manufacturer's diskette when the
> >> installer asks if you want to load any drivers. This is very early in
> >> the
> >> text phase and you have to hit F6 rather quickly.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
> >> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
> >> "wingman" <wingsum@21cn.c0m> wrote in message
> > in

SATA
> > the

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cn.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Of course, but the question is how to proceed today.

>I can borrow one from my roommate. But the prlobem is not a flooy dirve or
> $15, MS shuold include this harddisk controller driver in windows XP. It
> is
> really annoyed.
> "Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:%23J%23h9kgDFHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> They only cost $15.00 these days.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

>> "wingman" <wingsum@21cn.c0m> wrote in message
>> >I do know this, but I do not have a floppy drive :(
>> > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

> driver
>> > in
> the

> in

> SATA
> this
>> > the

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cn.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

If MS adds the driver to service pack, the winXP setup CD can be updated.
> Of course, but the question is how to proceed today.

> "wingman" <wingsum@21cn.c0m> wrote in message
> >I can borrow one from my roommate. But the prlobem is not a flooy dirve
or
> > $15, MS shuold include this harddisk controller driver in windows XP. It
> > is
> > really annoyed.
> > "Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote
in
> > message news:%23J%23h9kgDFHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> They only cost $15.00 these days.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Richard Urban
> >>
> >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
> >>
> >> If you knew as much as you think you know,
> >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
> >>

> >> "wingman" <wingsum@21cn.c0m> wrote in message

> > driver
> > the

> > in

> > SATA
> > this

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cn.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Yes, you will be able to create a slipstreamed cd containing the new service
pack. However, I haven't seen anything to suggest that a Service Pack 3 is
even in the works. I hope you work this out.

For the life of me, I don't know why the new machines don't have a floppy.
They don't hurt anything and they can sure help. The cost is almost
trivial.