Nokia 9500 - giving up !!

Hi all,
I'm about to give up with my Nokia 9500, and return to my Sony Ericson P900,
UNLESS someone here can tell me what I'm doing wrong !!

1. After several weeks of using the 9500, I still have the same problem
synchronizing between Outlook and Calendar. Calendar is 1 hour earlier for
most entries. However, now and again, some entries are OK. I met another
guy, here in Israel, with a 9500 and he has the same problem

2. Sometimes sending emails, or replying, or forwarding, work OK, and
sometimes they don't. Wireless is OK, and the problem seems to be with
GPRS. It just shouldn't be so complicated. It's so easy with the P900.

3. If I create an email and press "Recipient" to select the "To" field, it
takes 20 - 25 seconds to open the contacts list, just to be able to choose
the email address. This is totally unacceptable. It's the same if Contacts
is or is not open when I do this. I have maybe 1,200 contacts.

I must say I was disappointed by the lack of progress of the core software.
I used to have the 9210, and the core software ... contacts, tel, calendar,
etc, has hardly progressed.

All ideas welcome !!
Regards

Stuart
7 answers Last reply
More about nokia 9500 giving

    Stuart Ballan wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I'm about to give up with my Nokia 9500, and return to my Sony Ericson P900,
    > UNLESS someone here can tell me what I'm doing wrong !!
    >
    > 1. After several weeks of using the 9500, I still have the same problem
    > synchronizing between Outlook and Calendar. Calendar is 1 hour earlier for
    > most entries. However, now and again, some entries are OK. I met another
    > guy, here in Israel, with a 9500 and he has the same problem
    >
    > 2. Sometimes sending emails, or replying, or forwarding, work OK, and
    > sometimes they don't. Wireless is OK, and the problem seems to be with
    > GPRS. It just shouldn't be so complicated. It's so easy with the P900.
    >
    > 3. If I create an email and press "Recipient" to select the "To" field, it
    > takes 20 - 25 seconds to open the contacts list, just to be able to choose
    > the email address. This is totally unacceptable. It's the same if Contacts
    > is or is not open when I do this. I have maybe 1,200 contacts.
    >
    > I must say I was disappointed by the lack of progress of the core software.
    > I used to have the 9210, and the core software ... contacts, tel, calendar,
    > etc, has hardly progressed.
    >
    > All ideas welcome !!
    > Regards
    >
    > Stuart

    Maybe is pproblem in old software version! Try to flash it in your nokia
    store, this should be free if you have valid nokia warrenty!

    --
    -------------------------------------
    Visit: http://seal_fk.spymac.net

    View all new TECHnews on my blog at link http://seal_fk.spymac.net/blog/

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:52:18 +0200, Stuart Ballan wrote:

    > 1. After several weeks of using the 9500, I still have the same problem
    > synchronizing between Outlook and Calendar. Calendar is 1 hour earlier for
    > most entries. However, now and again, some entries are OK. I met another
    > guy, here in Israel, with a 9500 and he has the same problem

    I think you need 4.5 firmware

    > 2. Sometimes sending emails, or replying, or forwarding, work OK, and
    > sometimes they don't. Wireless is OK, and the problem seems to be with
    > GPRS. It just shouldn't be so complicated. It's so easy with the P900.

    It wasn't with my P910i and there was no Wifi with it so you *have* to use
    GPRS :-(

    > 3. If I create an email and press "Recipient" to select the "To" field, it
    > takes 20 - 25 seconds to open the contacts list, just to be able to choose
    > the email address. This is totally unacceptable. It's the same if Contacts
    > is or is not open when I do this. I have maybe 1,200 contacts.

    Yes, it is unacceptably slow, but try this: Find the recipient in the
    contacts directory first, select the email address from the right hand
    pane and press the 'Wriet email' button. I think you'll find it to be
    quicker.

    > I must say I was disappointed by the lack of progress of the core software.
    > I used to have the 9210, and the core software ... contacts, tel, calendar,
    > etc, has hardly progressed.

    I still prefer it to the P910i.

    --
    Best regards
    Barry

    Barry,
    Thanks for your reply.

    How can I figure out what firmware version I have now, and how do I get it
    upgraded? I'll be in the UK in 10 days.

    Don't understand your comment about GPRS .. sorry !!

    Your idea about a workaround for getting an email address is a good one.
    I'll give it a go.

    You've given me hope !!

    Regards

    Stuart

    "BJH" <barryh@kentra.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:52:18 +0200, Stuart Ballan wrote:
    >
    >> 1. After several weeks of using the 9500, I still have the same problem
    >> synchronizing between Outlook and Calendar. Calendar is 1 hour earlier
    >> for
    >> most entries. However, now and again, some entries are OK. I met
    >> another
    >> guy, here in Israel, with a 9500 and he has the same problem
    >
    > I think you need 4.5 firmware
    >
    >> 2. Sometimes sending emails, or replying, or forwarding, work OK, and
    >> sometimes they don't. Wireless is OK, and the problem seems to be with
    >> GPRS. It just shouldn't be so complicated. It's so easy with the P900.
    >
    > It wasn't with my P910i and there was no Wifi with it so you *have* to use
    > GPRS :-(
    >
    >> 3. If I create an email and press "Recipient" to select the "To" field,
    >> it
    >> takes 20 - 25 seconds to open the contacts list, just to be able to
    >> choose
    >> the email address. This is totally unacceptable. It's the same if
    >> Contacts
    >> is or is not open when I do this. I have maybe 1,200 contacts.
    >
    > Yes, it is unacceptably slow, but try this: Find the recipient in the
    > contacts directory first, select the email address from the right hand
    > pane and press the 'Wriet email' button. I think you'll find it to be
    > quicker.
    >
    >> I must say I was disappointed by the lack of progress of the core
    >> software.
    >> I used to have the 9210, and the core software ... contacts, tel,
    >> calendar,
    >> etc, has hardly progressed.
    >
    > I still prefer it to the P910i.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards
    > Barry

    firmware
    type *#0000# from memory

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:16:10 +0200, Stuart Ballan wrote:

    > How can I figure out what firmware version I have now, and how do I get it
    > upgraded? I'll be in the UK in 10 days.

    Type *#0000# from the cover phone

    You need to find a Nokia service centre, but my local centre (York) wasn't
    able to upgrade my phone so I'm still having to run V4.44. They haven't got
    the hardware. :-(

    I've been using Mobical (www.mobical.net) and Lotus Organiser and have and
    no problems synching to either.

    > Your idea about a workaround for getting an email address is a good one.
    > I'll give it a go.

    > You've given me hope !!

    Good! I still think its a better device than the P9xx. Each to his own.

    --
    Regards
    Barry

    Thanks. I just checked and it's 4.44(01) of 27 Oct 2004.

    All sounds very complicated to get a firmware upgrade, considering I paid
    full price for the phone, and another 40% (yes really) to get it through
    customs here. Is there good reason to believe the new firmware revision
    will help? As you know, you can upgrade the firmware of P9xx over the web.

    Regards

    Stuart

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:13:38 +0200, Stuart Ballan wrote:

    > Thanks. I just checked and it's 4.44(01) of 27 Oct 2004.

    > All sounds very complicated to get a firmware upgrade, considering I paid
    > full price for the phone, and another 40% (yes really) to get it through
    > customs here. Is there good reason to believe the new firmware revision
    > will help? As you know, you can upgrade the firmware of P9xx over the web.

    I read somewhere that its something like a 100Mb of code. I'd sooner leave
    that to someone else to mess up!

    The one you're interested in is down the bottom

    Changes/improvements made from MCU SW version 4.44(1) to version 4.51(0):

    - User Interface:
    - CUI Profiles - self-made profile stability improvement.
    - Note correction in SIM Lock (when using other than locked SIM)
    - Improved G-icon suspend mode when making data call using PC.
    - Profile name language correction on CUI when the UI language is
    changed.
    - Presentation editor stability improved when opening slide show from
    MMC.
    - Telephony:
    - Waiting call alert correction (after active voice call is ended).
    - Call forwarding status check functionality improved.
    - ALS line change improvement by using menu shortcuts (e.g. Menu-5-1-
    7-2).
    - Messaging
    - French SMS editor improved (shortcut ctrl + M)
    - Corrected SMS receiving when BT authentication notifier is on the
    screen.
    - Improvements in MMS sending, viewing, opening.
    - Correction for missing characters in MMS messages.
    - Image presentation in SMIL messages improved.
    - Multiple message deleting stability improved.
    - SIM message deleting improved.
    - E-Mail
    - Email account - Settings stability with long names improved (>25
    characters).
    - Email header retrieving improvement (many recipients in To: or Cc:
    fields)
    - Data Mover
    - The Data Mover functionality improved in case where the contacts
    writing process has been cancelled by the user with a double-click.
    - Unnamed contact template transfer improvement.
    - Transferring Notes from Desk has been improved.
    - Transferring Background image has been improved.
    - Audio
    - AMR file playback improvement.
    - Browser
    - Browsing improved when primary DNS server is down.
    - Improvement in loading combined browser pages.
    - Overall improved stability of loading different XHTML web pages.
    - Improved SDP file opening from browser.
    - Navigation between more than one input-field improved.
    - Localization of flashing banner and info note.
    - Correction for some WAP links not accessible when browsing.
    - MMC
    - MMC memory card formatting improvement.
    - Backup to/restore from MMC functionality improved.
    - Memory
    - Improved functionality in memory full situations.
    - Contacts
    - SIM card Contacts accessing improvement in start-up.
    - Improved functionality of sending Compact Business card with
    maximum characters via SMS.
    - Improved functionality of sending Compact Business card containing a
    picture.
    - Contact search/open speed improved in cover UI (in case there?s no
    MMC in).
    - WLAN
    - WLAN functionality improvement while associating to an Access Point.
    - Setting the WEP key reliability improvement.
    - Connection manager stability improved when dropping first VPN and
    then WLAN connection.
    - Synchronization & PCSuite
    - Improved PCSuite connectivity.

    - Calendar sync correction (extra 1 hour for some entries).

    - Fixed dialing number improvements when turning it Off--On-Off.
    - SIM memory stability improved on CUI when Fixed dialling is active.
    - FDN OTA download improved.
    - Fixed dialing menu functionality improved.
    - Slide showing improvement when using data projector.
    - Remote locking by SMS improved.
    - RealPlayer functionality improvement with over 256 characters long URLs.
    - Closed User Group stability improved (receiving call from CUG member).
    - Fax functionality improvements.
    - Word97 doc compatibility improvement with PC Word 2003.
    - Installation of Java applications improved.
    - Improved initiation of phone call from MIDlet.
    - Improved video capture from MIDlet.
    - Fax viewing and printing improved.

    --
    Regards