New parts no boot

opusarlo

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I just completed rebuild of my PC by installing:

Crosshair V mobo
AMD 8350 FX CPU
Corsair Vengeance RAM

THis is my first complete build so to say. I used the old HDD and optical as well as the GPU, but this was a major undertaking for me. I ended up not connecting teh speaker from the front panel but other than that things went great. I booted to the mobo disc and made my settings in there. After that I thought I could just let computer boot to windows (remember I am a noob). It would not do that and windows repair program suggested I do a system restore so I figured why not. After that was done I could still not boot. Then I went online and relized I needed to install fresh windows so I put my windows DvD in and rebooted. Now my computer keeps telling me to 1 install windows disk, 2 restart computer, etc...there is an error code of oxcoooo18?? I looked it up and found it to be an inability for board to communicate with cd drive...but it was communicating just fine for the mobo disk...now I am lost and I do not want to call my friend because he will simply laugh and poke....besides charge me tons of cash to rectify this. please help

windows 7 64 bit ultimate
2 versions of windows already installed on HDD

Use just one hardrive at a time and one stick of ram in the slot closest to the cpu; disconnect both to see if your system gives you a post screen, then connect the drive you want to install windows on. If you get a post screen, press the "del" key to enter the bios. Change the sata setting to "ide", then set the boot order to cd (or dvd)>hardrive (possibly ide 0 instead depending on your bios options). Then the next time you reboot the windows dvd should give you the option of installing windows again. You may have a bad ram stick. You described the windows options appearing on the screen, so the system is posting, which means you don't need a bios flash to use the 8350, which is a common problem since the cpu is relatively new. You can also view some youtube videos for troubleshooting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0mKux2T2DU

WskOsc

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Okay, there's a couple of simple routes you can take with this.

1) If it's an IDE HDD (wide ribbon cable) then make sure it's on the end of the cable and the jumper on the back of the HDD itself is set to 'master'. Use only 1 hard drive, and if possible try a different cable.

2) If it's a SATA HDD (thin cable, usually red, sometimes black, connector is L shaped) then make sure you've not got it connected to one of the 6GB/s ports on your motherboard (check the manual to determine which ones are SATA2 and SATA3 (SATA3 are usually navy blue, but not always). Once you've checked this, go into your BIOS and make sure the SATA device priorities are set so that the optical drive has a lower number/higher priority than the HDD (sounds stupid I know, but I've had issues with the Windows 7 disks hating the optical drive having the lower priority). Also make sure the boot order lists the optical drive, then the HDD.

Hope that helps.