Sign in with
Your question

Computer freezes up every <15 minutes

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2013 8:49:43 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my computer and I was wondering if someone know how I should approach this issue.
I've had this computer for several years and recently something strange started to happen. My computer freezes for an extremely short period every now and then. Beside the visual freeze you can also hear the audio lagging and freezing up. After that everything continues to do everything normal. It happens every couple of minutes. When I have my resource monitor open I don't see any weird spikes in the CPU, Disk, Network or Memory graphs. How would you approach this?

I can obviously start with the basic things such as cleaning everything up, virusscan, checking out of it happens in safe mode etc. But I was wondering if there's a less time consuming method of finding the problem.

Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate
i5-2500K CPU
8 GB Memory
120 GB SSD
2 x 1 TB HDD
570 GTX videocard

I also don't know what section I should post this problem in so let's hope it's the right one.

Greetings,

Qwertyrules
January 5, 2013 3:11:21 PM

Sadly most problem hunting missions are time consuming but thankfully you can usually set the tool running and walk away or go to sleep or something else productive.

I know it's almost cliche to blame the PSU but if it's an older model that you've had for a few years it might be worth checking that. Put the machine under some load (run prime95 and Furmark or OCCT) at the same time and watch for the stutters becoming more common.
It also never hurts to run your RAM through memtest for a few passes (8GB should only take a couple of hours to get a few passes).

Naturally, cleaning it out, running a virus scan/CCleaner and a good ol' fashioned defrag can also help with these mini-freezes if there's no hardware issues behind them. For the defrag I'd recommend running UltraDefrag (it's open source and free and pretty darn good too).
January 31, 2013 3:34:41 AM

WskOsc said:
Sadly most problem hunting missions are time consuming but thankfully you can usually set the tool running and walk away or go to sleep or something else productive.

I know it's almost cliche to blame the PSU but if it's an older model that you've had for a few years it might be worth checking that. Put the machine under some load (run prime95 and Furmark or OCCT) at the same time and watch for the stutters becoming more common.
It also never hurts to run your RAM through memtest for a few passes (8GB should only take a couple of hours to get a few passes).

Naturally, cleaning it out, running a virus scan/CCleaner and a good ol' fashioned defrag can also help with these mini-freezes if there's no hardware issues behind them. For the defrag I'd recommend running UltraDefrag (it's open source and free and pretty darn good too).

Thank you, just cleaning everything up did the job. I don't know what was the exact cause.
!