Sign in with
Your question

Quick question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 21, 2012 4:47:35 PM

I'm sure this has been asked before, but OC versions of cards are just more expensive bc they've overlocked them for you? Basically its a waste of money to pay 20, 30 or 50 bucks for 100 more Mhz right? I just ordered an XFX 7970 but its the stock speeds. I can overclock it with MSI afterburner or does XFX have its own software? OC'd or not, the card is gonna kick *ss. Just wanted to make sure i shouldn't be moanin and groanin that I didn't purchase the Black Edition (which is surprisingly white btwhttp://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/kao...). Thanks guys!!

More about : quick question

a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 5:48:19 PM

OC versions usually have better cooler then the standard version.
m
l
November 21, 2012 6:36:14 PM

Congratulations, you didn't get caught in the marketing schemes. Seriously, the OC versions are generally over-rated. It's only worth it whenever you get a good deals (as in you pay the same price as the non OC ones) because like RGD said, they get better cooling and/or voltage ratio.

Depending on how your airflows in your case, you'd be able to achieve the almost (if not the same) OC with stock coolers.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 6:46:55 PM

If an OC version is the same price as a stock version you may as well grab the OC version, I got my Gigabyte 670 at release with their windforce cooler and factory OC for the exact same price as other 670's at lower clock speeds.
m
l
!