Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't show up on any monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 21, 2012 6:00:15 PM

Hello,
I can't seem to get my computer to show up on any monitor. I've used different monitors, cables, swapped graphics cards, taken out ram and put it back in, and checked the CMOS battery. Everything seems to be booting up properly, it just won't show up on a monitor.

More about : computer show monitor

a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2012 7:34:06 PM

When you say everything is booting up properly it might not be case, not because you hear the fans spinning means that the system is booting. One way to tell is to look at your hard drive activity LED if it's flashing repeatedly and you can hear the drive working hard it could mean that the system is booting indeed because the OS is loading from the HD. Then, you could try to access the system remotely through the network, or at least try to ping the hostname or IP address then it will tell you that your OS has loaded and is alive and that it's only a display issue. But as I said even though some lights are coming on and some fans are spinning it doesn't mean that the full boot process is going through, for example if the motherboard or power supply have problems they could just send enough power or signal for the fans to spin, but fail to launch other vital components like the CPU or video card or some chipsets, etc...

Try to boot with minimal components, remove the video card and try onboard video. You should also remove everything else, all peripherals, all expansion cards, even disconnect the CD-ROM and the hard drive (you don't need the hard drive to get to the BIOS, from what I understand you're not even able to display the BIOS, right?). You can even disconnect the mouse, because to access the BIOS all you need really is only onboard video and keyboard, that's all. The BIOS is the most simple thing to display on the screen because it doesn't involve any drivers, but if you can't even display that with onboard video, I'm afraid some major components could be defective like the CPU, motherboard, power supply, etc...
m
l
November 21, 2012 10:15:52 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions! I tried them all, but unfortunately none of them worked which means my ol' desktop is a gonner. I guess I'll just have to slip into a deep dark depression and begin the long search for another.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 13, 2013 12:59:44 AM

ddtwo said:
Thanks for all your suggestions! I tried them all, but unfortunately none of them worked which means my ol' desktop is a gonner. I guess I'll just have to slip into a deep dark depression and begin the long search for another.

This is common. 9/10 you need to clear your CMOS. It is nearly always the first to go to if you don't see anything on your monitor after you upgrade certain parts or build a new system from scratch.
m
l
Related resources
!