BIOS no longer recognizes SSD

kobralani

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I just finished putting my first computer build together last night and everything seemed to be working fine. I got Windows installed, all my drives were recognized, I began installing programs, etc. I left it running overnight to install a particularly large game, and when I woke up this morning, it had returned to a black screen and was asking me to reboot and select the proper boot device. Confusion abounded, so I restarted and it gave me the "Windows did not properly shut down..." screen; I told it to start up normally and after a moment it got stuck on the "Loading Windows" screen. I waited a few minutes, nothing happened, so I restarted again and checked the BIOS. My boot SSD is no longer recognized, but it sees my HDD and optical drive without issue.

I have unplugged and replugged the power and SATA cables to the SSD, tried different SATA ports on the motherboard, tried different SATA cables, plugged in a different power cable, unplugged the HDD entirely, rechecked the BIOS what feels like a million times, and googled everything I can think of to see if someone else has had this problem. I couldn't find anything that helped, and I'm stumped.

However, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a really hardware-savvy person and on top of that, I'm normally a Mac user...so the intricacies of Windows are not second nature to me.

Here's my build:
Intel Core i5-3570K
Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD GA-Z77X-UD3H
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Thermaltake TR2 600W
EVGA GeForce GTX670
SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB
HGST Deskstar 1TB HDD
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

The only thing I, with my less-than-extensive knowledge, can figure is that the SSD is just a dud and I'll need to replace it, but I'm really crossing my fingers that I'm wrong!

if you have another pc (or a friends), try using your ssd there and see how it goes. i think it's the ssd since you have another HDD and it's working fine (am i right? i didnt read everything sorry).
if its the ssd then you know what to do

kobralani

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for the responses! Cons29, I don't have any PCs that I can try the SSD in but I'll see if one of my friends will let me borrow theirs. The HDD does seem to work just fine--at least, it's recognized by the BIOS without a hitch.

clarkjd, I did try plugging the SSD into a differet SATA port and BIOS still didn't have a clue it was there. :( Sucks if it is bad, but I guess that's better than a bad MB...less to remove and not quite as scary for me!