BIOS no longer recognizes SSD

I just finished putting my first computer build together last night and everything seemed to be working fine. I got Windows installed, all my drives were recognized, I began installing programs, etc. I left it running overnight to install a particularly large game, and when I woke up this morning, it had returned to a black screen and was asking me to reboot and select the proper boot device. Confusion abounded, so I restarted and it gave me the "Windows did not properly shut down..." screen; I told it to start up normally and after a moment it got stuck on the "Loading Windows" screen. I waited a few minutes, nothing happened, so I restarted again and checked the BIOS. My boot SSD is no longer recognized, but it sees my HDD and optical drive without issue.

I have unplugged and replugged the power and SATA cables to the SSD, tried different SATA ports on the motherboard, tried different SATA cables, plugged in a different power cable, unplugged the HDD entirely, rechecked the BIOS what feels like a million times, and googled everything I can think of to see if someone else has had this problem. I couldn't find anything that helped, and I'm stumped.

However, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a really hardware-savvy person and on top of that, I'm normally a Mac the intricacies of Windows are not second nature to me.

Here's my build:
Intel Core i5-3570K
Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD GA-Z77X-UD3H
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Thermaltake TR2 600W
EVGA GeForce GTX670
SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB
HGST Deskstar 1TB HDD
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

The only thing I, with my less-than-extensive knowledge, can figure is that the SSD is just a dud and I'll need to replace it, but I'm really crossing my fingers that I'm wrong!
3 answers Last reply
More about bios longer recognizes
  1. if you have another pc (or a friends), try using your ssd there and see how it goes. i think it's the ssd since you have another HDD and it's working fine (am i right? i didnt read everything sorry).
    if its the ssd then you know what to do
  2. have you tried plugging the SSD into a different SATA port? If BIOS still doesn't see it, then your SSD is probably bad. If the BIOS sees the drive, then the SATA port on your MB is probably bad. RMA whichever one is bad..Good Luck!
  3. Thanks for the responses! Cons29, I don't have any PCs that I can try the SSD in but I'll see if one of my friends will let me borrow theirs. The HDD does seem to work just fine--at least, it's recognized by the BIOS without a hitch.

clarkjd, I did try plugging the SSD into a differet SATA port and BIOS still didn't have a clue it was there. :( Sucks if it is bad, but I guess that's better than a bad MB...less to remove and not quite as scary for me!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems