Printer driver 'File not found'

I have been trying to install a printer driver I created but run into a
stange problem. If I connect via USB the 'Add Hardware Wizzard' starts up and
the dirver installs ok. If I delete the printer and driver in the 'Servers
Properties' and I try to install via 'Add a printer' I get to a point where
files are being installed, and then get an error message that a .dll file
cannot be found, and to browse for the file. I browse for the file, which is
loacted with all the other printer dirver files, and installtion continues
and finishes without any problem. I have tried this also with other printers
and dirvers.
What could be causing my .dll file not to be found, especially if it located
in the same directory with the other printer driver files?
2 answers Last reply
More about printer driver file found

    See the SourceDisksFiles section of your inf file. It has an option to
    specify the Subdirectory for all the files. In your case since the files are
    in the same folder where your inf is, Subdirectory option shouldn't be there
    in the SourceDisksFiles section.
    (See DDK for the details)

    -Nitin

    "about display names" <about display names@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message news:8615FAC9-7148-4C81-9E28-3005177A8FF1@microsoft.com...
    > I have been trying to install a printer driver I created but run into a
    > stange problem. If I connect via USB the 'Add Hardware Wizzard' starts up
    and
    > the dirver installs ok. If I delete the printer and driver in the
    'Servers
    > Properties' and I try to install via 'Add a printer' I get to a point
    where
    > files are being installed, and then get an error message that a .dll file
    > cannot be found, and to browse for the file. I browse for the file, which
    is
    > loacted with all the other printer dirver files, and installtion continues
    > and finishes without any problem. I have tried this also with other
    printers
    > and dirvers.
    > What could be causing my .dll file not to be found, especially if it
    located
    > in the same directory with the other printer driver files?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    "Nitin" <nitinp@noida.hcltech.com> wrote in message
    : See the SourceDisksFiles section of your inf file. It has an option to
    : specify the Subdirectory for all the files. In your case since the files
    are
    : in the same folder where your inf is, Subdirectory option shouldn't be
    there
    : in the SourceDisksFiles section.
    : (See DDK for the details)
    :
    : -Nitin
    :

    I agree with you. The printer setup dialog gave the user too much freedom to
    browse through directory, if mismatched driver is installed then the whole
    thing fails.

Drivers Printer Driver Printers Windows XP