Null driver WHQL signing

Is it possible to obtain WHQL certification for a null driver? I
have created an “inf” file modeled after the form specified in the
following MSDN webpage:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/install/hh/install/specinst_3d0749f4-1498-49d5-8e53-804c65f16cd1.xml.asp

This “null” driver can only install with administrative permission. I
would like to obtain WHQL signing for my “inf” file so that it will
install unattended. Is this possible? What steps do I need to take to
proceed?

Thank you for any information.

See:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/whql/default.mspx
www.coribright.com

"Andrew Webber" <"awebber -at- drti.com"> wrote in message
> Is it possible to obtain WHQL certification for a null driver? I have
> created an “inf” file modeled after the form specified in the following
> MSDN webpage:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/install/hh/install/specinst_3d0749f4-1498-49d5-8e53-804c65f16cd1.xml.asp
>
> This “null” driver can only install with administrative permission. I
> would like to obtain WHQL signing for my “inf” file so that it will
> install unattended. Is this possible? What steps do I need to take to
> proceed?
>
> Thank you for any information.

Andrew,

Please be sure to contact whqldt@microsoft.com to verify for your specific
situation and confirm the following process. We have submitted null device
drivers in the past but, the rules may have changed - OR - your particular
null device may not qualify.

You will first have to go to the winqual.microsoft.com site, enroll as a
participant, then apply for a Verisign account for code signing
(www.verisign.com) Once you have these you can then submit your driver under
the Universal/Unclassified device category. For testing, you will select the
Universal/Unclassified Device from the choices, then run CHKInf. Make sure
you are doing your testing on a qualified test bed (i.e.. "logo'd) so all of
the other drivers on the system are logo'd and signed.

Assuming the INF passes CHKINF, you should be able to wrap the results to
create the .CAB to upload. You will have a LOT of tests that are incomplete.
Typically, you must include a reference for each failed or incomplete test
in the README file but, in this case, you should be able to reference all of
the incomplete tests with one entry as something like "All other tests" and
put in the Notes: "Not required for NULL device drivers."

You should also run the Signability test against your INF. However, you are
not required to submit the results for the Signability test.

Sorry if this reply reaches you to late as I see the original post was a
month ago but, I hope you find it useful.

Rick Brooks
Industry Certification Engineering
Vibren Technologies, Inc.
rick_brooks@nospam.vibren.com