Nikon NEF Question

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 2, 2005 11:03:49 PM

I recently bought a Nikon D70s, am pleased with the camera, and want to try
working with Nikon's RAW files (NEFs). I thought I had read here that
Photoshop Elements would open NEF files, but just would not reproduce the
"as shot" settings. When I try it, though, PE does not accept the NEF
format. I know that Nikon Capture 4.2 will open NEFs, but don't want to
spend the money unnecessarily. Two questions:

1. Can I get a plug-in for Photoshop Elements that will read NEFs (even
without "as shot" information)?

2. Has anybody used Nikon Capture 4.2? How does it compare with PE?
Once I open an NEF in Nikon Capture 4.2, can I export it to PE (other than
as a JPEG)?

Many thanks.

Zaz

More about : nikon nef question

July 2, 2005 11:03:50 PM

Zazanos wrote:
> I recently bought a Nikon D70s, am pleased with the camera, and want to try
> working with Nikon's RAW files (NEFs). I thought I had read here that
> Photoshop Elements would open NEF files, but just would not reproduce the
> "as shot" settings. When I try it, though, PE does not accept the NEF
> format. I know that Nikon Capture 4.2 will open NEFs, but don't want to
> spend the money unnecessarily. Two questions:
>
> 1. Can I get a plug-in for Photoshop Elements that will read NEFs (even
> without "as shot" information)?
>
> 2. Has anybody used Nikon Capture 4.2? How does it compare with PE?
> Once I open an NEF in Nikon Capture 4.2, can I export it to PE (other than
> as a JPEG)?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Zaz

Assuming you have Elements 3, you might try here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?prod...

There may be a couple of things that you could use there.

re: Capture, yes you can export your raw files to Elements as 16 but
TIFFs. There should be a button in the tool palette that will take your
file directly to Elements.

Hope this helps,
Dave
July 4, 2005 10:57:29 PM

The D50 seems like it has a different format of the :nef" because it says my
nef fiiles are corrupted when I try to load them in pse3 trial version.

John
"Dave" <dsmith5@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Zazanos wrote:
>> I recently bought a Nikon D70s, am pleased with the camera, and want to
>> try
>> working with Nikon's RAW files (NEFs). I thought I had read here that
>> Photoshop Elements would open NEF files, but just would not reproduce the
>> "as shot" settings. When I try it, though, PE does not accept the NEF
>> format. I know that Nikon Capture 4.2 will open NEFs, but don't want to
>> spend the money unnecessarily. Two questions:
>>
>> 1. Can I get a plug-in for Photoshop Elements that will read NEFs (even
>> without "as shot" information)?
>>
>> 2. Has anybody used Nikon Capture 4.2? How does it compare with PE?
>> Once I open an NEF in Nikon Capture 4.2, can I export it to PE (other
>> than
>> as a JPEG)?
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>
>> Zaz
>>

> Assuming you have Elements 3, you might try here:
>
> http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?prod...
>
> There may be a couple of things that you could use there.
>
> re: Capture, yes you can export your raw files to Elements as 16 but
> TIFFs. There should be a button in the tool palette that will take your
> file directly to Elements.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Dave
Related resources
July 5, 2005 8:03:34 AM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:57:29 GMT, "shutterbug"
<shutterbug@houston.rr.com> wrote:

>The D50 seems like it has a different format of the :nef" because it says my
>nef fiiles are corrupted when I try to load them in pse3 trial version.
>
>John
>"Dave" <dsmith5@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> Zazanos wrote:
>>> I recently bought a Nikon D70s, am pleased with the camera, and want to
>>> try
>>> working with Nikon's RAW files (NEFs). I thought I had read here that
>>> Photoshop Elements would open NEF files, but just would not reproduce the
>>> "as shot" settings. When I try it, though, PE does not accept the NEF
>>> format. I know that Nikon Capture 4.2 will open NEFs, but don't want to
>>> spend the money unnecessarily. Two questions:
>>>
>>> 1. Can I get a plug-in for Photoshop Elements that will read NEFs (even
>>> without "as shot" information)?

Go to the Adobe site and select updates/down loads for Photoshop CS,
or which ever version you have. There is an update for RAWs and CS
will open them.

IF you have Photoshop Elements installing "Nikon View" *after* you
install PE will give PE the ability to open NEFs. I'm not sure if
that is needed for the latest version of PE.

>>> 2. Has anybody used Nikon Capture 4.2? How does it compare with PE?
>>> Once I open an NEF in Nikon Capture 4.2, can I export it to PE (other

PE is free with the Nikon D70, or was. I've never used Nikon Capture
even though there was an evaluation copy with the D70 as well. I
decided to stick with PE. Version 2 came with the camera and I've
since upgraded to version 3. I also have Photoshop CS, but have not
upgraded it although I have the latest updates in it.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>>> than
>>> as a JPEG)?
>>>
>>> Many thanks.
>>>
>>> Zaz
>>>

>> Assuming you have Elements 3, you might try here:
>>
>> http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?prod...
>>
>> There may be a couple of things that you could use there.
>>
>> re: Capture, yes you can export your raw files to Elements as 16 but
>> TIFFs. There should be a button in the tool palette that will take your
>> file directly to Elements.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Dave

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 8:12:59 AM

Roger -- Were you able to open NEF files in PE?

(btw, did you once file comments in the FCC BPL proceeding?)

Zaz

!