Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I need help with my first computer build

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 21, 2012 7:40:39 PM

Hello people,

So basically, I am 14 and I am building my first PC. I know how, I have taken apart quite a few different PCs and I have watched a lot of videos on how to do it. It's quite simple.

Here is what I am going to buy:


-AMD FX-4100 CPU

-ATI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition

-8GB CORSAIR Vengeance RAM 1866MHz

-CoolerMaster HAF 912 Case

-Lite-ON DVD Drive

-ASUS M5A97 AM3+ Motherboard


The problem I am having is with the PSU. I was thinking of an OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Modular PSU. What I wanted to know is that it says "compatible with Intel Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom." Does that mean that it is not compatible with my FX-4100 CPU?

Also, I was wondering if you guys think that a 7770 GHz Edition is good. I am on a strict budget, my dad will not spend more than $130 on the GPU. Do not recommend buying a pre-built because they are overpriced and my dad is only buying me all this because he knows I really like computers so he wants me to get into it, so he's helping me with buying all the parts.


Thanks for your help,

euphoriax

More about : computer build

November 21, 2012 7:44:46 PM

Can't answer your PSU question but drop your RAM down to 1600mhz, the extra 266 won't give you much performance increase and you can put the little bit of difference into your GPU.
November 21, 2012 8:17:28 PM

euphoriax said:
Hello people,

So basically, I am 14 and I am building my first PC. I know how, I have taken apart quite a few different PCs and I have watched a lot of videos on how to do it. It's quite simple.

Here is what I am going to buy:


-AMD FX-4100 CPU

-ATI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition

-8GB CORSAIR Vengeance RAM 1866MHz

-CoolerMaster HAF 912 Case

-Lite-ON DVD Drive

-ASUS M5A97 AM3+ Motherboard


The problem I am having is with the PSU. I was thinking of an OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Modular PSU. What I wanted to know is that it says "compatible with Intel Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom." Does that mean that it is not compatible with my FX-4100 CPU?

Also, I was wondering if you guys think that a 7770 GHz Edition is good. I am on a strict budget, my dad will not spend more than $130 on the GPU. Do not recommend buying a pre-built because they are overpriced and my dad is only buying me all this because he knows I really like computers so he wants me to get into it, so he's helping me with buying all the parts.


Thanks for your help,

euphoriax



If it's for gaming drop the anemic 4100 and get a 965 BE.

Save the money, get 1600 mhz ram like previously stated.

Use the money you saved and upgrade your gpu.
Related resources
November 21, 2012 10:14:43 PM

maxalge said:
If it's for gaming drop the anemic 4100 and get a 965 BE.

Save the money, get 1600 mhz ram like previously stated.

Use the money you saved and upgrade your gpu.



I actually was thinking of going with the 965 Black Edition but I went to Tiger DIrect and told him that I wanted that and said that I should go with the FX-4100 because it's a lot better.
November 21, 2012 10:26:01 PM

Him being your dad? He's wrong, unfortunately. Either that or he's just going by clock speeds, which means he's not only wrong but doesn't know enough about computers to be advising you.
November 21, 2012 11:02:36 PM

The 965BE is better then the FX-4100, but I wouldn't go AMD, I'd go with a Intel. Pentium G2120 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz CPU, or to save money a Intel Pentium G860 and and put more money into your GPU. You can use a ASUS P8H77-V LE motherboard. You then have a nice upgrade path better then with AMD, you can upgrade all the way to an i7 if you want in the future w/o having to change anything.
November 21, 2012 11:19:38 PM

Yeah if you're really wanting to go with a newer CPU, you're better off going with the Vishera FX-4300. But I must echo the previous comments, in that price range, go with a good Phenom II, cut back some on the RAM speed, and invest it in the graphics card.
November 22, 2012 12:24:48 AM

DarkSable said:
Him being your dad? He's wrong, unfortunately. Either that or he's just going by clock speeds, which means he's not only wrong but doesn't know enough about computers to be advising you.


Him being the guy at Tiger Direct.
!