shnish

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: NZXT Guardian 921 RB ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.74 @ Mwave)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $731.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-05 14:49 EST-0500)

This is my current build for a gaming PC I plan on building by the end of January. I've already bought a $60 power supply and the $40 ram listed here (It was on sale recently, so it was a steal), which puts my build at just around $800. The power supply was a corsair HX650, which I managed to get on ebay for $60. My current situation is whether or not I should shell out an extra $40ish for a Caviar Black. I'm coming from a seagate 750 gb hard drive on my XPS 15, and one of the things about me is that anything better than what I currently have is usually okay unless I'm trying to future proof. That being said, I'm not super impatient and could probably tolerate a barracuda no problem, but any recommendations would be helpful. I also really like the case that I chose (It's around $75 on amazon with tax), and I don't currently have an USB 3 devices, so I could tolerate putting them in the motherboard directly if I needed fast speeds. The desktop won't be inside of a desk or anything, so I should have easy access to the different sides of it. I don't plan on overclocking for awhile, but I'll likely buy a CM 212 down the line if I want to go to 4 ghz. For now if I overclocked at all, I'd probably only do it a few hundred megahertz (if that). I also am not totally set on the 660ti since I hear a lot of people saying that the 7950 is a much better card for the price. I would probably get the 7950 for $320 on newegg (Twin Frozr II) and since I have a 650w psu, I could probably overclock it up to a 7970, correct? I'm going Intel, but I've heard that the whole "better compatibility" thing of Intel and Nvidia mainly just applies to laptops that use Optimus. The 660ti seems to perform better in a lot of games, but if I could overclock the 7950 without any negative effects, I might consider that as well. My main thing with the graphics card is getting the best one for my money so I can future proof it and not have to buy a new one for at least three years. I run on a 1920 x 1080 monitor, but I'd be willing to lower the settings in games years from now as long as I can maintain 60 fps. Any suggestions for this build would be great, thanks!

Solution
-there is no such thing as futureproofing
-black drives are just regular blue drives with more warranty
-CPU is already at 3.8ghz. 4ghz is not considered a "overclock" if you ask me.
-to see any benefit from overclocking, you must be at least 4.2ghz or above
-run your memory at 1600mhz. running it faster isnt covered by intel
-what power supply did you buy. if its not a derivative of a seasonic or superflower unit, its probably not that good
-fyi, a 7950 performs better than a 660ti, just with a bit less stabilty. given a 660ti is cheaper than a 7950 right now, id get the 660ti

here is the revisions i made
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/w2N8

if you dont overclock, i can save you 50 or so bucks
-there is no such thing as futureproofing
-black drives are just regular blue drives with more warranty
-CPU is already at 3.8ghz. 4ghz is not considered a "overclock" if you ask me.
-to see any benefit from overclocking, you must be at least 4.2ghz or above
-run your memory at 1600mhz. running it faster isnt covered by intel
-what power supply did you buy. if its not a derivative of a seasonic or superflower unit, its probably not that good
-fyi, a 7950 performs better than a 660ti, just with a bit less stabilty. given a 660ti is cheaper than a 7950 right now, id get the 660ti

here is the revisions i made
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/w2N8

if you dont overclock, i can save you 50 or so bucks

Solution

shnish

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Completely forgot about the whole intel stock overclocking thing. You're right about that. The ram I'll likely run at 1600mhz just because clockspeed over that doesn't matter much. I bought a corsair TX650, which I'm certain is a great power supply. Saving money isn't a big issue to me, more of just getting the most for my money. The "future proofing" is a temporary thing, of course. A core i5 will certainly last longer than a phenom II X4 in how long it can be used before it shows signs of bottlenecking. That's all I mean by future proofing. Do you think the black drives are actually worth it, or should I just stick with a $60-70 seagate?

shnish

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Oh. Well it's a 2.5" laptop hard drive in my XPS and I wouldn't have a hard drive in it otherwise. My plan is definitely to get a new hard drive, not to use the laptop one.

shnish

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Yup. I've got one not too far away from me that's $183 after tax. Much better than the $170 8320 I originally thought to buy on Amazon. What benefits does the extreme 4 serve? Isn't it at least $20 more expensive? I do believe that quality motherboards are important, I guess I just don't really know why I think that other than just the fact that it's a common belief.

you can wipe your old drive and use it in the new rig. now we just have to get the go-ahead and select a SSD for your usage

and id defintely get a seagate over a WD black in terms of pricing.

id also suggest a better motherboard if you are not buying a new hard drive. it needs quite a bit of improvement

shnish

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

I'm not going to get an ssd for now, I don't think. I'd want a 128 gig so I could put some games on it as well, and it doesn't seem like there are any priced that well. I need to keep the hard drive in the laptop because I may be selling it or I just want it to remain there in case I ever need to use it. I'd like to completely rule out using that laptop's hard drive, though.

shnish

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Definitely buying a new hard drive. Probably going to go for the Seagate drive. Do you know of any good, cheap, 128 gb SSDs? I want to be able to have windows and some large games (like BF3) on it if I do decide to get one.

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

Its price is a steal, it can overclock just as well as a lot of other $150+ boards and has pretty much everything you would need on it for a gamer like that extra PCIe slot for SLI/CFX

even though the MSI board would be the cheaper choice, the ASrock would be a more solid choice in my opinion

shnish

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

My main problem with it is that it's about $40 more than I'd like to spend on a motherboard, plus shipping. I likely won't go SLI/CFX down the line, I'd only do that if i got a lower end card. I don't use a lot of usb ports and use a wireless usb headset, so I don't actually need extra pci ports for a soundcard or anything. Do you have any boards that you can recommend in the $90 range that are better than the one I chose?

shnish

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Any examples? The boards that I've been looking at are pretty expensive, except for the micro atx ones. I'm going atx, though.

shnish

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

I didn't know MC was still having that deal. Extremely good to hear! Thanks so much for telling me about it. I'll be picking up the mobo/proc next week.

shnish

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Well, because of the whole $50 off thing at micro center, I'll just pick up the motherboard for around $90 with tax. It's possible that I'd throw in a second video card down the line, but I wouldn't buy a motherboard specifically for that feature.

shnish

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Probably not, because by the time I chose to upgrade, crossfire/sli just wouldn't be worth it. Are there other boards that are even cheaper with that $50 micro center deal? At this point I just want a good motherboard that's under $100. The extreme 4 might be a bit overkill, though. If there's any other board that's cheaper at MC, I'd be willing to go for that, too.

TRENDING THREADS