Problem with motherboard mounting screw

SarBashar

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Corsair 300R case
Intel DZ77SL-50K motherboard.

motherboard is lined up with the stand offs built into the case, with the center bolt through the center ATX mobo alignment and the back slots alligned with the back plate.

If you imagine an ATX mobo having a 3x3 grid of standoff points, the upper middle stand off screw WILL NOT screw in. Around and around it goes, to no avail. I've tried with 2 other screws as well, so it's not the screw; i fear it's the standoff screw hole. The other 7 standoff screws fit well, the middle standoff seems to be alright, although there is no obvious bolt to place on it.

Question: Can I get away with 8/9 mounts on the motherboard? Any other suggestions about the screw hole that won't take?

Thank you.

G

as the COL said, you're fine.

now if it does bother you with it being in the middle, you can always swap it with on on the lower/corner (when looking at the board standing in the case). or you can replace them by taking a quick trip to your local comp store; if one is around.

stand offs are easy to move/replace with a small pair of pliers.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

If it bothers you, they sell plastic standoffs that keep the board sturdy.

Also, have you tried screwing it in with a nut driver?

SarBashar

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6055/corsair-carbide-300r-case-review-corsair-for-the-masses/3

"First, the motherboard tray is practically a godsend. Corsair doesn't include any motherboard standoffs with the 300R because the tray itself has a single brass stud in the center for lining up the board and then extrusions with mounts built into them. "

as the board currently sits, the brass stud referenced above is line up correctly though the board. The case came with a small bolt which would appear to fit over top of this, but it does not screw on correctly. No reference to the small bolt in case instructions.

Note: I readily admit to this being the first time i've built a computer in 10 years, so I greatly appreciate the help.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Meh, simply ignore it then. If anandtech doesnt know, we sure in hell wont.