Random shut downs (kernel 41)

blade of grass

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hey guys,

I recently built a computer (finished on the 27th) and have been having some issues.

Within the two weeks, I have had 7 Kernel 41 shutdowns. Yes, seven!
Now right before they happen, I usually have a "Crash dump initialization failed!" error (which was probably caused by me not allowing any pagefile) and or a "Session "Homegroup Log" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035" error.

So whats wrong? I'm running my RAM at its 1600MHz XMP and my CPU at 3.8GHz (3570k).
I ran Prime 95 and got one rounding error after 6 hours, and I'm going to try Memtest, but I really don't know whats wrong. Any ideas?

Solution
Code 41 is related to the machine losing power unexpectedly.

I'd advise running through the standard troubleshooting stuff, though (and I seem to be posting this a lot lately in relation to these issues) the K-Lite codec pack causes this error - your hardware will all test fine but it's that one little codec pack messing everything up and pointing to the PSU with the blame.

If it's not the codec pack (that is, if you don't have it installed) then check all your connections, reseat components like the GPU and RAM and make sure all the cables are inserted fully. Disable BIOS surge protection (intel SpeedStep triggers most of them) and give it another go and get back to us.

WskOsc

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Code 41 is related to the machine losing power unexpectedly.

I'd advise running through the standard troubleshooting stuff, though (and I seem to be posting this a lot lately in relation to these issues) the K-Lite codec pack causes this error - your hardware will all test fine but it's that one little codec pack messing everything up and pointing to the PSU with the blame.

If it's not the codec pack (that is, if you don't have it installed) then check all your connections, reseat components like the GPU and RAM and make sure all the cables are inserted fully. Disable BIOS surge protection (intel SpeedStep triggers most of them) and give it another go and get back to us.

Solution

blade of grass

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
I actually solved the issue, it was being cause by a bad stock of Ram that instantly failed memtest 86+ with 25000 errors within seconds. But that's for the help, and irony have those codecs installed.

WskOsc

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Glad you solved it mate, sorry about the RAM though.

Out of curiosity did you only find the errors when running it through memtest a single stick at a time or from a specific motherboard RAM slot? Regardless, it's likely the RAM was causing the issue anyway.

blade of grass

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

Nope, found errors when is dual channel, then tried the sticks individually to see which was the bad one in the same (#1) slot.

WskOsc

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
See I was wondering if it was the frequency you're running the RAM at that's throwing up those errors in dual channel mode. The RAM might be alright if you lower it down to 1333MHz and make sure your XMP profile isn't trying to ram your Bus speed up to something silly.

blade of grass

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

I tried it stock and it still didnt work. Also, using XMP one passed 100% while the other failed completely, which shows that it isnt a motherboard, but a RAM issue.

Christopher Barron

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Yes I know it's an old post*
Does this issue happen with a PC that has an OS on an SSD?? I'm having this issue as well and I heard that it's possible to be my SSD. This person said that some brands of SSDs don't handle the 'Sleep' function very well and will cause this issue.
I've already had this issue before with it being the PSU, which was understandable because I bought a cheap one (still happened). Then I thought it was because I was being cheap and went with an AMD build. So I go back to the store and get myself an Asus Intel z97 Haswell Motherboard and an i5 4690kThis time after installing Windows 10 Pro Tech Preview as an upgrade, then doing Windows Rollback back to my Win 8.1 Pro. ITS DOING IT AGAIN!
Now the only thing I havn't tried is going with a better quality SSD for my build. I currently have a Patriot Blaze and when I check their website, they don't even provide firmware updates for this line of SSDs which has got me wondering whether or not this really is the issue. My dang SSD. I will have to try it. What do you guys think??

blade of grass

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

The issue in this case was one of the RAM sticks being dead. I was able to confirm it by individually running them and testing with Memtest86. Have you considered your RAM being an issue?

Christopher Barron

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

Well, I'm not gonna lie, I ran memtest only for about 20 mins. I hear the longer the better and I didn't listen. I haven't tried anything else besides that time with the RAM. I have Patriot Viper 1866MHz (8GB Dual). It was on sale too. :pfff lol . I will have to try that too.