Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Hello,

I've built a new system with the following components

Intel i3 2120
MSI H61 Motherboard
Cooler Master PSU
4GB RAM

I've plugged everything in (I think) but when I press the power or reset button, absolutely nothing at all happens. All the components are new. I've been through the checklist in this forum to no avail.

I've tried:

-switching the polarities of the power switch cable
-a different mains power cable
-the switch on the back of the PSU is on
-the motherboard power connector is plugged in (there are two 4 pin connectors which both fit, ones labeled P2 but neither works)
-I installed the motherboard standoffs from the start
-I have integrated graphics so video card is not a problem

Even the PSU fan doesn't come on.

I did bend one of the pins in the CPU socket when installing the CPU but it's not touching any other pins and the CPU is in the right way round. Surely the PSU fan should still come on even though there's one bent pin?

Thanks for reading, I'm completely out of ideas.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
-push the ram in all the way
-ensure the outlet works
-try one stick of ram at a time

It sounds like you've got everything in right. Just make sure the power,reset,led,hdd etc little things are in right and that you hear a snap with the ram sticks and I think it will start.

wman2

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I only have one stick of RAM in, it's a 1x4gb slot. It's in the right slot and it's fully snapped in (the little plastic things spring into place when it's pushed in). I've tried the outlet with the tv and it works fine. I'm just stuck for ideas :'(

wman2

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
By the way, is it true that something should happen, e.g. A fan at least even if the bent pin in the CPU socket was a problem? Or would not even the PSU switch on?

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I'm not sure, I've never bent a cpu pin. I hate that feeling when you put everything together and push the power button and nothing comes on, but you've already looked at the most likely things that could have happened. Can you send the cpu back and get another?

wman2

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

Sorry for not updating the thread. I found an unplugged wire behind the bezel for the front panel switches which let the system boot up by bridging the circuit past the power button. But of course that meant I didn't have a power button since it wasn't working. Luckily the reset button was working so I plugged the reset button into the power button's pin socket and that works fine! :) It also has the added benefit of meaning my little cousins won't know how to boot up the computer and mess it all up :kaola: (although that'll be difficult since I'll be running command-line linux on it).

TRENDING THREADS