Sign in with
Your question

Can my computer handle this?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 21, 2012 11:55:43 PM

I was wondering if you think my computer could handle a Geforce GTX550? Also, on Newegg.com, what would be the best one to purchase without buying from an untrustworthy/unreliable company?
My power supply is a Corsair CX500 (500 watt), I've got 6 gigs of RAM and my processor is a Pentium Dual-Core E5400 @.2.70GHz
Thanks!

More about : computer handle

a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2012 12:01:40 AM

The 550 was a power hog.

Any chance of affording a 650? It'll run faster AND cooler.
m
l
Related resources
November 22, 2012 12:05:28 AM

DarkSable said:
The 550 was a power hog.

Any chance of affording a 650? It'll run faster AND cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... How about this? I like that it's actually small (which is indicated from the comments in the feedback) because my casing isn't that big and it's actually very reasonable in price.
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2012 12:07:40 AM

MSI>EVGA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The best deal, better brand and cheaper($69.99 after $30.00 rebate) and with 2 games

bottleneck : while in games that cpu will cry with 100 % (minimum recommended for games nowadays is a dual core 3 ghz) usage the gpu will be constrained by the performance of the cpu.

for e.g. : Assassins creed 3 system requirements : 2.66 GHz Intel® Core™2 Duo E8200 or 2.66 GHz AMD Athlon™ II X4 620
Black ops 2 : Intel Core2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHz or AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHz
m
l
November 22, 2012 12:30:11 AM

djangoringo said:
MSI>EVGA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The best deal, better brand and cheaper($69.99 after $30.00 rebate) and with 2 games

bottleneck : while in games that cpu will cry with 100 % (minimum recommended for games nowadays is a dual core 3 ghz) usage the gpu will be constrained by the performance of the cpu.

for e.g. : Assassins creed 3 system requirements : 2.66 GHz Intel® Core™2 Duo E8200 or 2.66 GHz AMD Athlon™ II X4 620

Well, I'm not planning on playing lots of high-spec games. I'm going to play stuff like Minecraft, Morrowind, Oblivion, MAYBE Skyrim (but probably on low-medium settings). I'm not big into lots of newer games and when I do play newer games I don't mind if I'm not on high settings.
But are you sure the MSI card you linked me is good? It's only $99 (I'm not going to put hope into the rebate). There's not even one review.
m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2012 12:37:13 AM

djangoringo said:
MSI>EVGA

the only difference between the E8200 and the OPs E5400 is the FSB and L2 cache. it would make a bit of a difference but not enough to cause a "massive bottleneck" on one processor compared to the other.

those conroe chips overclock like a champ w/o breaking a sweat. i had an E5300 oc'd to 3.8 (with a stock heatsink from a q6600) it screamed through anything i threw at it. i "upgraded" to a E8500 oc'd to 3.6 and really could not tell *that* much of a difference.

now running a gaming like skyrim @ low resolution/settings would have some problems but, most any game @ 1080 would be fine with a 7770/650ti with a bit of an OC on the E5400.
m
l
November 22, 2012 12:39:41 AM

Anonymous said:
the only difference between the E8200 and the OPs E5400 is the FSB and L2 cache. it would make a bit of a difference but not enough to cause a "massive bottleneck" on one processor compared to the other.

those conroe chips overclock like a champ w/o breaking a sweat. i had an E5300 oc'd to 3.8 (with a stock heatsink from a q6600) it screamed through anything i threw at it. i "upgraded" to a E8500 oc'd to 3.6 and really could not tell *that* much of a difference.

now running a gaming like skyrim @ low resolution/settings would have some problems but, most any game @ 1080 would be fine with a 7770/650ti with a bit of an OC on the E5400.

I'm sort of nervous about overclocking, though. I don't want to ruin my processor. That would suck.
Also, if I were to get Skyrim, it would probably be with money I get from Christmas. However, I'd also like to know if it's smart to buy a new processor. Are processors easily replaced? do you just unscrew a few things and pull it out like a graphics card or power supply or is it more complicated?
m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2012 12:54:46 AM

Drakthuran said:
I'm sort of nervous about overclocking, though. I don't want to ruin my processor. That would suck.
Also, if I were to get Skyrim, it would probably be with money I get from Christmas. However, I'd also like to know if it's smart to buy a new processor. Are processors easily replaced? do you just unscrew a few things and pull it out like a graphics card or power supply or is it more complicated?

it is not difficult to put a minor OC on that processor, though i would highly recommend getting a better heatsink than that tiny intel one. google few overclocking guides for that cpu to see if you become confident with doing it.

though you are much better off spending the money to get a newer cpu and motherboard than getting a used socket 775 cpu. even cheap a sandy pentium (Intel Pentium G860 for $75) and a H61/67 motherboard for ~$50-$75 would outperform any E8xxx socket 775 cpu (which are about $125 on ebay.)

though you would need some DDR3 ram for $25- $45 (4/8 gigs).
m
l
November 22, 2012 12:58:52 AM

Anonymous said:
it is not difficult to put a minor OC on that processor, though i would highly recommend getting a better heatsink than that tiny intel one. google few overclocking guides for that cpu to see if you become confident with doing it.

though you are much better off spending the money to get a newer cpu and motherboard than getting a used socket 775 cpu. even cheap a sandy pentium (Intel Pentium G860 for $75) and a H61/67 motherboard for ~$50-$75 would outperform any E8xxx socket 775 cpu (which are about $125 on ebay.)

though you would need some DDR3 ram for $25- $45 (4/8 gigs).

Oh, I have to replace both the motherboard and CPU at the same time? That sucks... All right, well, until then, my current setup with the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... would be able to handle what? Games I'll most likely be playing are Modern Warfare (the first one from years and years ago), Warhammer 40K Space Marine, Warhammer 40K 2 Retribution, Starcraft 2, Minecraft, Morrowind, Oblivion, Heroes of Might and Magic 6... I probably won't play Skyrim on the PC, tbh, if it will take that much upgrading.
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2012 1:01:19 AM

Yes it will do, skyrim plays well on a dual core (someone had it running with a 2.4 ghz dual core+8800gtx @ high settings ~40 fps, and that card is better than a 8800gtx).
m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2012 1:11:42 AM

Drakthuran said:
Oh, I have to replace both the motherboard and CPU at the same time? That sucks... All right, well, until then, my current setup with the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... would be able to handle what? Games I'll most likely be playing are Modern Warfare (the first one from years and years ago), Warhammer 40K Space Marine, Warhammer 40K 2 Retribution, Starcraft 2, Minecraft, Morrowind, Oblivion, Heroes of Might and Magic 6... I probably won't play Skyrim on the PC, tbh, if it will take that much upgrading.

you can go with that card. though to be honest the 7750 w/2gb of Vram that was alos suggested looks like another winner . .but it is debatable about a 128 bus using all 2gbs or memory but that little extra it will use may come in handy.

a bit of a "work around" with dealing with a cpu bottlenecking is to raise the resolution; the lower fps being rendered by the gpu will alleviate a bit of the load on the cpu which will help it keep up. go for broke, you may end up wasting a little performance in the worse case but it isn't like your wanting a 7870 . . . :lol: 
m
l
November 22, 2012 1:12:55 AM

djangoringo said:
Yes it will do, skyrim plays well on a dual core (someone had it running with a 2.4 ghz dual core+8800gtx @ high settings ~40 fps, and that card is better than a 8800gtx).

All right. Thanks! Unless someone else objects and gives a good reason for me not to, I'll buy the MSI 650X Ti.
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2012 1:17:27 AM

Its not 650 ti only 650 gtx the ti version is double of the price.
Like someone said if you oc the cpu it will get you even better performance with that card.
m
l
November 22, 2012 1:30:49 AM

djangoringo said:
Its not 650 ti only 650 gtx the ti version is double of the price.
Like someone said if you oc the cpu it will get you even better performance with that card.

All right. Oh, by the way, IDK if this is allowed, but I have another question within this question thread lol. The last graphics card I bought was around 120 bucks and it the screen was all fuzzy everytime I used it to play video games. I am kind of scared that this is because the card is loose. You see, one time, when I was taking a graphics card out of my computer, I pressed the lever too hard and it came off. This lever was a small, blue piece of cheap plastic that, if you pressed on it, loosened the hold on the graphics card so you could pull it out of the slot easily. However, it broke off. I can still easily pull the graphics card out, but is it stable? I'm scared that if I get another big card like the MSI one you linked me, it'll put too much weight on it and be loose. I'm not sure if that's possible that that would be the cause of the screen getting fuzzy and having lines through it, but I don't know.
m
l
November 22, 2012 2:06:33 AM

Anyone? Bump.
m
l
!