Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New build - no beep.. stumped

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 5, 2013 9:21:33 PM

Looked at the other threads about this but still haven't found a solution.

Built a new pc for my wife yesterday. Hooked up everything but there was no beep and no display on the monitor. When I push the power button all the fans and light activate. I can hear the hard drive and dvd drive turning on and stuff but no beep and display. I checked the PSU by hooking it up on my older pc and it booted no problem. Tried breadboarding and stripped it down to MB, CPU, HSF, case speaker and PSU, no beep indicating no RAM or GPU or anything. Checked the sticked post and still no luck.

Right now I'm leaning towards the motherboard or the cpu since I couldn't really test those two. I'm not an expert on these things so maybe the community can help me. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS AMD 760G Motherboard
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
CPU: AMD HDZ965FBK4DGM Phenom II X4 965 Processor
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
PSU: Corsair GS Series GS600 CP-9020012-NA 600W Power Supply
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
HSF: Cooler Master Hyper N520 CPU Cooler
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
RAM: Patriot Viper 3 Extreme Performance Black Mamba PV38G186C9K 8GB Memory Module Kit
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
HDD: WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB Desktop Hard Drive
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 01G-P4-2650-KR Video Card - 1GB GDDR5
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
Case: Apevia X-TRPJR-BK X-Trooper Jr Mid Tower Case
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

More about : build beep stumped

January 5, 2013 9:29:55 PM

Did your motherboard/graphics card touch carpet or anything that could have damaged it? You may just have a faulty part. Another culprit could be your monitor, or the cables connecting the monitor to the graphics card. If you have another graphics card from your old computer available, I would recommend removing it and putting it in the new computer and see if it works.
m
0
l
January 5, 2013 10:12:08 PM

Can you check your memory in the other computer?
Does the cpu get warm when you turn on the computer?
I once had a build that I thought the mb was bad and I was ready to send it back, I reset the cmos even though I had never done a bios firmware update and then it booted.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 5, 2013 10:26:59 PM

Try starting the board with only CPU and CPU fan installed. If a case speaker (beeper) is connected, you should get 1 long 2 short beeps (error for no RAMs).
m
0
l
January 5, 2013 10:52:50 PM

NerdBBQ said:
Did your motherboard/graphics card touch carpet or anything that could have damaged it? You may just have a faulty part. Another culprit could be your monitor, or the cables connecting the monitor to the graphics card. If you have another graphics card from your old computer available, I would recommend removing it and putting it in the new computer and see if it works.


Thanks for the replies. I did most of the installation on the plastic that contained the mb while wearing anti-static wrist wrap. I hooked my wife's pc on my monitor with a working pc. Right now I removed the gpu and hooked it up on the on board video. I'm just trying to get it to bios set up at the moment.

jnkweaver said:
Can you check your memory in the other computer?
Does the cpu get warm when you turn on the computer?
I once had a build that I thought the mb was bad and I was ready to send it back, I reset the cmos even though I had never done a bios firmware update and then it booted.


I wasn't able to hook up my wife's RAM on to my pc since mine still uses DDR2 so I removed those when I was breadboarding just in case those are faulty too. How long should I keep the computer running till the cpu gets warm?

alexoiu said:
Try starting the board with only CPU and CPU fan installed. If a case speaker (beeper) is connected, you should get 1 long 2 short beeps (error for no RAMs).


I’ve tried that already and still didn’t get any beep which worries me a lot.
m
0
l
January 5, 2013 10:59:15 PM

The cpu should get warm to the touch within 20 secs. Unfortunately the lack of heat still doesn't tell you whether it is the CPU or motherboard. The presence of heat would usuallly point to a good CPU and bad mb.
m
0
l
January 5, 2013 11:12:35 PM

If no beeps and the beeper and the power supply do work (the CPU fan does spin), then it's a board or a CPU issue.
If inside, try testing the board outside the case (ruling out a shorting issue).
m
0
l
January 5, 2013 11:38:02 PM

He is already bread boarding. Do you have anyone locally that can check the CPU? I am betting its the mb.
m
0
l
January 5, 2013 11:43:17 PM

Sometimes reinstalling the CPU does work. Check it also for bent pins.
m
0
l
January 5, 2013 11:46:46 PM

Last resort clear the cmos.
m
0
l
January 6, 2013 1:08:14 AM

jnkweaver said:
Last resort clear the cmos.


Yeah I'm guessing it's the mobo as well. I've already tried clearing the cmos by using the jumper and also removing the battery but still no luck.

alexoiu said:
Sometimes reinstalling the CPU does work. Check it also for bent pins.


Thanks. Tried to reinstall cpu just in case some dirt got stuck or bent pins like you said but everything looks ok.

m
0
l
January 6, 2013 1:10:10 AM

I'm thinking I'll just try to RMA the motherboard and see what happens from there.
m
0
l
January 6, 2013 1:12:47 AM

Good plan you have a 50-50 chance that you picked the right component.
m
0
l
January 6, 2013 1:33:19 AM

i had the same problem, turns out that the CPU arrows weren't aligned i believe. try that just to be sure.
m
0
l
!