Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Advice on GPU compatibility

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 22, 2012 12:44:25 AM

Hi,
My warranty is up on my PC so I was looking to upgrade my GPU and then I would have to upgrade my power supply as well. I would appreciate your advice on compatibility.

I have until 11/30/12 to make a decision. (newegg sale)

I'm not heavily into gaming but I play occasionally and would like to run games in high performance or close to it. The games I currently play are CS:GO in second best settings. GTAIV on steam, but I can't get past the 6th mission because the graphics are really bad, & I rarely play SC2 on medium settings, I've also never been able to play anything more than 2vs2 and even that gets really laggy.

I was looking at this gpu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
I was interested in this GPU because someone on the circuit city/tiger reviews for my pc said they had or were going to install a 560 ti GPU into theirs and that it is a really tight fit, but doable.


I'm guessing I would need a 650 watt power supply
Most people purchased this with the GPU above:
Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-650 650W Continuous @40°C, 80

I have a SYX Ascent MPC 10 purchased in May 2011.
i7 2600k sandy bridge 90 watt cpu
8GB ddr3 ram
1tb HDD
Mobo: MSI-h61m-e23 pci 2.0 x16
currently using onboard graphics
Power supply: ATX SL-8320 BTX 300 watt 6"x5.5"x3.3"

I noticed most of the power supplies listed their dimensions at 6"x 5.5"x 3.4" will the difference between 3.3", 3.4", & 3.5" be a deal breaker?

And does my current pc & power supply have all the connectors needed for the power supply I want to get?

Thanks Tom's Hardware Community.
Related resources
November 22, 2012 1:20:50 AM

samuelspark said:
On a budget:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This will have all the connectors you need. Also, you only need about 500w for a GTX 560 Ti.

I think I would get a 7850 if you could. More power efficient and powerful.


Awesome, thanks I will probably go with this one. As I said before I like to game but I'm not that into it to where I would want to spend a fortune upgrading my PC.
m
0
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2012 1:21:47 AM

Going off of the graphics cards, don't get a 560ti - the 500 series were not amazing. Get a 660 instead - it'll be faster, cooler, and more efficient.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2012 1:22:00 AM

samuelspark said:

I think I would get a 7850 if you could. More power efficient and powerful.

+1

GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-1GD Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit $169.99
Save: $10.00 (6%)
$149.99 after $20.00 rebate card
m
0
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2012 1:26:41 AM

fosh1zzle said:
The 7850 is for an AMD chip set though?

nope. fully compatible with your motherboard, or any . . . . there is no "need AMD for AMD" or "AMD only" for motherboards and graphics cards.

Quote:
I don't think I have pci 3.0 just 2.0 and this card is almost 10" vs the 560 or 660 which are 9". I'm limited on space with my mid tower.

pci 2.0 or 3.0 also doesn't matter both are fully compatible with each other. .but know sure if there is a difference in the case size. most mid towers are fine. got a spec size?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 109 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2012 1:27:54 AM

Its is compatible with pci 2.0 any gfx card pci 3.0 is.

i'd go with a 7850 2GB instead of 1GB, with the 7850 you get better performance than the 560ti and less electrical bills.

And save $ with the psu 430w corsair the 7850 only need one pci connector and with 75w.
That psu more than enough
Share
November 22, 2012 1:35:29 AM

Anonymous said:
nope. fully compatible with your motherboard, or any . . . . there is no "need AMD for AMD" or "AMD only" for motherboards and graphics cards.

Quote:
I don't think I have pci 3.0 just 2.0 and this card is almost 10" vs the 560 or 660 which are 9". I'm limited on space with my mid tower.

pci 2.0 or 3.0 also doesn't matter both are fully compatible with each other. .but know sure if there is a difference in the case size. most mid towers are fine. got a spec size?


Ok thanks for the clarification. No spec size, but I do have a ruler! 16"L x 14" H x 7" W
m
0
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2012 1:39:11 AM

fosh1zzle said:
I have pci 2.0 sandy bridge
These are for 3.0 Ivy Bridge, and the reviews aren't great

1) it does not matter that you have PCI 2.0, PCI 3.0 is backwards compatible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#PCI_Express_3....
Quote:
PCI Express 3.0 Base specification revision 3.0 was made available in November 2010, after multiple delays. In August 2007, PCI-SIG announced that PCI Express 3.0 would carry a bit rate of 8 gigatransfers per second (GT/s), and that it would be backward compatible with existing PCIe implementations.


2) new egg reviewers are . .well most people who post there are . . technology challenged for the most part.
m
0
l
November 22, 2012 1:39:15 AM

djangoringo said:
Its is compatible with pci 2.0 any gfx card pci 3.0 is.

i'd go with a 7850 2GB instead of 1GB, with the 7850 you get better performance than the 560ti and less electrical bills.

And save $ with the psu 430w corsair the 7850 only need one pci connector and with 75w.
That psu more than enough


K, this is shaping up to be the best answer. Do you mind looking at the dimensions I put for my tower(in an earlier post) and giving me your advice on the fit.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2012 1:44:38 AM

fosh1zzle said:
K, this is shaping up to be the best answer. Do you mind looking at the dimensions I put for my tower(in an earlier post) and giving me your advice on the fit.

your PSU dimentions are of no use, sorry but the motherboard sit perpendicular.

speaking of you motherboard it is 9.6 inches
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/H61M-E23--B3-.html#/?div=...
Dimension
• 24.5cm(L) x 21.5cm(W) M-ATX Form Factor
either 7850 mentioned is fine.
m
0
l
November 22, 2012 1:45:53 AM

Best answer selected by fosh1zzle.
m
0
l
!