Sign in with
Your question

Intel office pc

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2013 10:06:33 PM

I own an auto repair shop and spend eleven hours of my day in front of my pc. Time is money and blood pressure goes up when I see the hourglass come up on the screen. Also I get noise polluted and at times listening to the hard drive do its thing will drive me up a wall. I run Mitchell 1 as well as Quickbooks, while running several internet tabs in the back ground. My current system is approx. five years old and has been great, stable, but is starting to slow down. I want to build a wicked fast rock stable office pc. Here is a starting point and hopefully someone will chime in and give me some direction :) 
$no particular budget
Will update from XP to 7
RAM???
Motherboard???
CPU???
SSD? quiet and fast set up in RAID0???
Will a small GPU take some load off other hardware to make it even faster?
Power Supply wattage?

More about : intel office

January 5, 2013 11:15:36 PM

Here's something to start with: Core i3 CPU, H77 motherboard, SSD for OS and programs, and 1 TB HDD for storage.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/w5mW
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/w5mW/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/w5mW/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($49.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq 350W ATX12V Power Supply ($34.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS324-98 DVD/CD Writer ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $477.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-05 20:15 EST-0500)
January 5, 2013 11:56:04 PM

if i was building a system for work and want it as silent as i could i would start with
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
fan less power supply.
liquid cooler.

as your not going to use this for gaming an amd apu is faster then i3 listed above but has a build in 7000 gpu. with it and the right mb you could do two screen. keep more info open. any 1600 8g kit will be fine. i would swap out the small 60g ssd it not large for your os and apps min is 120g drive. with an ssd you need to leave room for trim and garbage collection. i would buy two hard drive and a drive clone or a better backup software emc for small biz or something like it. if your main drive goes south the right backup software will only need a boot disk and a replacement drive and about 10 min to get you back where you were.
one other thing i would do is set up some online backup for your work pc so that it backup nightly. they make network stroage cases now that are not to costly. some are routers with storage drive or ones that you can add a storage drive. also look to upgrade to the newest quickbooks if you have not..has a lot of good time saving features that the older quickbooks dont have.
one other software you may want to look at is go to my pc or one like it. it let you work from another pc or laptop. so you can connect to it from your home pc.
Related resources
January 6, 2013 1:44:22 AM

You can easily build an Office PC for about $500usd. (Windows 7 costs $100)

Aristotelian made an ok build. However, unless you need a lot of storage just buy a 500gb HDD. If you need more then buy a 1TB HDD, which is only $20 more.

You don't need a GPU for office work.

If you do want an extra punch, then get a SSD and put all your programs and OS on it, then save everything to a HDD. If you are worried about data then get a second HDD that will be a duplicate in case one fails. (and HDDs occasionally fail, so its safer for company usage)

350W seems fine.
January 6, 2013 11:45:14 AM

I understand the desire to build new, but if it's not necessary, then it's a waste of money. Please list the specifications of your current system. I suspect maxing out the RAM (for under $100) would alleviate all of your issues.

-Wolf sends
January 7, 2013 8:45:30 PM

Wolfshadw said:
I understand the desire to build new, but if it's not necessary, then it's a waste of money. Please list the specifications of your current system. I suspect maxing out the RAM (for under $100) would alleviate all of your issues.

-Wolf sends

XP Professional Service Pack 3
Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @2.4GHz
2.9 GB RAM
January 8, 2013 3:00:22 PM

Well, it doesn't seem to be an issue of insufficient RAM, unless there's a lot more running in the background. I don't see any reason why your current system isn't able to keep up with your tasks. It's appears that you have more than enough system memory. Perhaps a good system clean up (uninstall unused programs, registry clean up, delete or back up older files) is in order.

Aside from that, I don't see anything wrong with the suggestions the other posters provided.

-Wolf sends
January 9, 2013 12:54:02 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Well, it doesn't seem to be an issue of insufficient RAM, unless there's a lot more running in the background. I don't see any reason why your current system isn't able to keep up with your tasks. It's appears that you have more than enough system memory. Perhaps a good system clean up (uninstall unused programs, registry clean up, delete or back up older files) is in order.

Aside from that, I don't see anything wrong with the suggestions the other posters provided.

-Wolf sends

Thanks for the response
January 9, 2013 5:53:13 PM

cccleaner..good anti virus scan and run hdtune and wd/seagate hard drive tools...it may be the hard drive getting old and having issues.
!