GPU Upgrade for HP Pavilion p7-1020 PC

euphanian

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Hello. I've owned an HP Pavilion p7-1020 PC for about a year now. I love it, but I'd like to upgrade it's original video card.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Anywhere from the next few days to around or after Christmas. My budget is 200$ at most.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming. The computer already does everything else that I've asked it to do exceptionally. The games I'd like to play most are games like Fallout and Skyrim. Graphical settings are not extremely important to me. If I can get something for under 200$ that runs these games on high settings, then that's nice. But, as long as the games run smoothly, I'll be fine.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon HD 4200 Integrated Graphics. I'm not one hundred percent sure what the power supply is. I can't seem to find it online. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I wouldn't mind buying another power supply, if that helps.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:

AMD Phenom II 960T Quad-Core Processor
8GB DDR3 system memory

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: It doesn't really matter to me.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Again, it doesn't really matter, as long as the part is reliable and well made.

OVERCLOCKING: No.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I'm not one hundred percent sure what the resolution is.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I appreciate any help y'all have to offer. If you can't help me because I don't know what the power supply is, then I'm sorry for wasting your time.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

From looking at your computer in HP's website it seems you have a 250w unit.

You motherboard also has a PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card.

OK, so for skyrim and fallout...

430w corsair power supply and xfx 7850 1gb = $206.98 in newegg and they come with $40 in rebates. So $166.98 after rebates.

Dunno how reliable rebates are nowadays though.

euphanian

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Thanks for the help. Anybody else have suggestions? I wouldn't mind having a second opinion or so before I buy anything, if that's alright. Also, does anybody know where I'd be able to go and find help on installing the new hardware once it gets here?