January 5, 2013 11:31:31 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Next Few Days

Budget Range: $500-650 with HDDs

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Media Streaming, File storage

Are you buying a monitor: Headless

Do you need to buy OS: No, Plan on using FreeNAS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, Amazon.com

Additional Comments: Needs to be quiet, low power use, and small

What I'm wanting to build is a NAS setup for storing my movies/music and be able to stream them to the different devises in the house. I have been reading up and it looks to me that FreeNAS is an easy way to do it. I would rather build myself that way I know what its running and I can have the ability to upgrade in the future. This will be hooked up via Ethernet to a gigabit router and home network.

First NAS Server
Processor: AMD Fusion APU C-60 (1.0GHz, dual core)
Motherboard: ASUS C60M1-I AMD Fusion APU C-60 (1.0GHz, dual core) AMD Hudson M1 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo $79.99
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) $35.99
Hard Drive: x3 Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s $129.99
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 FD-CA-NODE-304-BL $89.99
Power Supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified $44.99($20MIR)
Cooling: Fans included in case
DVD Burner: Already have
Total $658.88
This total also includes a few SATA III cables and an additional CAT6 cable.

This mobo seems to be a common choice for this. From what I understand, you don't need a really powerful CPU for this. This mobo is shown to be extremely low power as this will be running 24/7. I plan on installing the image on a USB drive. I'm very, very new to RAID...so be gentle. I was planning on running the 3 drives in a RAIDZ so that I will have 4TB storage with a 2TB for redundancy/fail. The case & mobo allows 6 drives to be installed, so I have the ability to expand in the future.

The advise I got for my first rig build a few months ago from the community was great.
Any suggestions or advise is welcome as this is my first one of these.

Thanks
January 6, 2013 9:11:05 PM

If none, then I guess I will be ordering this on Monday.
January 6, 2013 9:30:14 PM

some changed components
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wfoP

-cheaper ram
-better power supply
-you want as few as possible drives in the rig. less point of failure. you can have a raid 1 where 2 drives are cloned. if one dies, you dont lose data.
Related resources
January 7, 2013 1:51:34 AM

Wouldn't it be better to set it up as a RAID5 though? I get the speed and the loss of 1 drive without data loss. I hear that Raid1 is really slow write speeds, would Raid5 be better.

If not, then Raid1 seems the best then for what I will be using it for?
January 7, 2013 9:52:19 AM

raid 5 would be even slower. raid 5 or 6 is for larger banks of drives (at least 3 for raid 5 and id get 4 for raid 6)
!