Sign in with
Your question
Solved

White Bitfenix Prodigy Cooling

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2013 1:06:24 AM

Hello the amazing people of the forums,
I am an artist. And a gamer. I was going to buy the white bitfenix prodigy and "reskin" it with a pacman theme paintjob.
There is one problem though.
I am a gamer, and i want to have good airflow in this case.
Is there any ways of getting good airflow into the case without modding the front panel?
I am not going to overclock, but i need this pc to stay cool while i play.

My pc specs:
CPU: Intel core-i5 3570k
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212EVO
GPU: MSI nVidia Gefore GTX-550ti
RAM: Corsair Vengance 1x8gb
MOBO: ASRock Z77E-ITX
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2tb
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500w

I am willing to liquid cool this system, although this is my first ever gaming build and i have never done liquid cooling before. I do not have much money to spend on cooling, as i do not have a job and have been saving for a while.
If I can get some suggestions, i will post pictures, designs and videos/ tutorials of how i will make this case beautiful.
Thanks in advance :) 
January 6, 2013 1:20:50 AM

I have a 3570k with a BitFenix Prodigy also and if you're not overclocking you will get good temps with the fans included. (Mine had two, no sure about yourself) The included fans are good fans and will cool your system just fine. There is no need to mod the front panel. So go ahead and paint it I say, and post the end result, I would love to see it.

Rob
m
l
January 6, 2013 1:23:21 AM

zrobbb said:
I have a 3570k with a BitFenix Prodigy also and if you're not overclocking you will get good temps with the fans included. (Mine had two, no sure about yourself) The included fans are good fans and will cool your system just fine. There is no need to mod the front panel. So go ahead and paint it I say, and post the end result, I would love to see it.

Rob

Thanks Rob for the quick reply.
If this is so, should i at least replace the stock fans with some better ones?
I do a lot of heavy stuff on this basic gaming pc so i was hoping to keep temperatures down as much as possible.
Thanks for the support. All i have now to do is wait for my paint to come and start painting!!!
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2013 1:30:59 AM

The bigger problem with the white version of the Bitfenix Prodigy is that its front panel is solid, not mesh like the black version. Completely chokes the front intake fan.
Otherwise the cooling at stock is fine.
m
l

Best solution

January 6, 2013 1:34:13 AM

If I am not mistaken, your case came with BitFenix Spectres? If so, these are more than adequate fans. You also have a strong CPU cooler. I think you will be fine with the stock fans. If you still have concerns, just monitor your temperatures when under heavy load and see what they reach, if you feel they are too high then act accordingly and if they are fine then you can go ahead and paint your case.
Good luck.

Rob
January 6, 2013 1:36:18 AM

Best answer selected by pikro.
m
l
January 6, 2013 1:38:13 AM

I have the black Prodigy - what I did before I had a front fan was simply take my back fan and make it input, since my cooler is an updraft cooler.

As for what you should do is go get the Corsair fans - a 140mm for back exhaust (presuming you have a tower cooler), two 120s for top exaust, and a black megaflow 200mm front intake.

Then, since you have the non-mesh cover, there's an easy way to mod it. You take the cover itself, remove the edging, and put rubber standoffs in. I don't remember where I saw this, but someone did it and it looked great, while giving way better airflow. This lets a front intake fan get air, while looking the exact same - you're just pushing the white part of the panel out a little.

Keep in mind though that my recommendations are way overkill if you aren't overclocking - I overclock heavily, but travel a lot, so I can't go with a liquid cooler.
m
l
!