Red CPU warning light won't turn off.

Mrnimrod

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
I just got an m5a99x Evo motherboard for my new rig. All the fans are working and the main light on the motherboard is green, but the Phenom II black edition CPU just won't work. I checked the pins on the CPU and they're all straight, and the thermal paste came per-applied.

I honestly have no idea what the problem is, I've checked all the power connections and I'm not hearing any beeps on start-up, despite the fact that the mini-speaker is plugged in.

What do I do? I'd there's a faulty part then it's no problem replacing it, I just don't know which component is causing the issue.

Full specs :

Asus M5A99X EVO 990X R

AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4g AM3

4GBx2 Corsair RAM

ThermalTake 600w PSU

XFX R7800 GPU

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
according to the manual there are multiple led's. is it the cpu led or the ram? also you said its red in the title but then you say its green. check the ram and try the a single stick and then in a different slot.

The POST State LEDs of CPU, DRAM, VGA card, and HDD indicate key components status during POST (Power-on Self Test). If an error is found, the LED next to the error device will continue lighting until the problem is solved. This user-friendly design provides an intuitional way to locate the root problem within a second.

Mrnimrod

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
But if it's not working on the box, and it's still not working without RAM and GPU, then that must mean them something wrong with the CPU right? All the other components seemed to work on the motherboard except the CPU, how likely is it that I have a dead CPU?