Olympus now locked-in?

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 4, 2005 2:47:59 AM

Given they've released a few specific
lenses for their current system and are
about to release three more costly ED zooms,
it seems likely that they are sticking with the
4/3rds system and that sensor size is not
going to go up, if at all since the lenses they are
producing apparently will not support a larger image
circle than can contain the current sensor dimensions.
Which then begs the question, has Kodak come up with
something new for them, something that has less noise
and greater sensitivity than current small sensors?
Given the hype that the marketers of Canon, etc, have attached
to the idea of a "no noise" under high ISO sensors, it seems
unlikely that someone attempting to compete with Canon's marketing
juggernaut would put out another camera with a sensor that has
considerably more noise than the Canon offerings. But, does Olympus
see greater value in having lenses that offer greater effective
focal lengths at higher speeds than their competition?
Given the smaller sensors sizes they have (Olympus) it is likely they
can produce (for e.g.) a 400mm (35mm film equivalent) at f2 much
less expensively than can Canon who now have to produce lenses to
support full-frame size, given that is what their flag-bearing sensor
size is. Unless of course Canon decides to stratify it's lens
offerings by camera, which would mean different lenses for the Rebel
and 20D versus the flagship full-frame camera.
Whatever Olympus is up to, it had better work for them. Otherwise
they could find themselves pushed out of the DSLR market altogether.
-Rich

More about : olympus locked

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 5:00:53 AM

I'll happily concede that Oly needs a good, high-res, low-noise 4/3
sensor. But they are seemingly tied to Kodak, and their record so far
is not exactly shining..

*IF*, and it's a big one, they can get that good sensor, then the
system becomes very attractive - gotta love that sensor cleaning
technology! If they can add in-camera IS, and I suspect that is up
their sleeve, then I will be the *first* to jump headlong into it.

I can dream.... (O;
July 4, 2005 5:01:47 PM

Chrlz wrote:

> I'll happily concede that Oly needs a good, high-res, low-noise 4/3
> sensor. But they are seemingly tied to Kodak, and their record so far
> is not exactly shining..

I think they may be bailing on the kodak sensor for the next version of the
E1. At least that's what the grapevine is saying. Have to wait and see.

--

Stacey
July 4, 2005 9:53:07 PM

>Look no further than the already announced collaboration
>with Matsushita.
(=Panasonic)

Yep, that gives me great hope and seems to almost guarantee IS will
also be included, given the other Panasonic IS gear (and the fact that
none of the Oly digital lenses has any sort of stabilisation, so
hopefully that means they plan to do it incamera - correct me if I'm
wrong?)...

... but I'm trying *not* to get too excited..... (O:
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 10:17:24 PM

Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Chrlz wrote:
>
>> I'll happily concede that Oly needs a good, high-res, low-noise 4/3
>> sensor. But they are seemingly tied to Kodak, and their record so far
>> is not exactly shining..
>
>I think they may be bailing on the kodak sensor for the next version of the
>E1. At least that's what the grapevine is saying. Have to wait and see.

Look no further than the already announced collaboration with
Matsushita. The wording of the joint Olympus/Matsushita announcement
of the collaboration includes some very strong hints about what is
involved ...

;-)
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:44:08 PM

Apparently, Olympus has displayed experimental ZD lenses with built-in image
stabilization. The photos I saw, several months ago, showed lenses which
looked nowhere near being ready for production.

I, personally, hope they opt for a built into the body style of stabilizer.
I'd like to have the technology, but not at the expense of having to replace
my growing collection of ZD lenses. Having said that, it's hard to imagine
how Olympus (or Matsushita) could piggy-back the Super Sonic Wave filter
onto an image stabilizer. The resulting unit would probably be fairly large
and cumbersome.

Rob

----------------------------------

"Chrlz" wrote ...

> Yep, that gives me great hope and seems to almost guarantee IS will
> also be included, given the other Panasonic IS gear (and the fact that
> none of the Oly digital lenses has any sort of stabilisation, so
> hopefully that means they plan to do it incamera - correct me if I'm
> wrong?)...
>
> .. but I'm trying *not* to get too excited..... (O:
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 11:39:05 PM

Having said that, it's hard to imagine
> how Olympus (or Matsushita) could piggy-back the Super Sonic Wave filter
> onto an image stabilizer. The resulting unit would probably be fairly
> large and cumbersome.

But we can continue to dream - can't we????
!