Solved

First time build questions

I am planning to build my first ever desktop computer and I have questions about the components I am going to use. The only thing I am worried about is if I am over powering this build more then I need. What I mean is well... I'm not going to get an intel i7 processor when all I am going to use this computer is for multitasking and very very little gaming. Maybe only Civilization V. That parts That I got were as follow:

APEVIA X-TELSTAR-BK Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53470

ENERMAX NAXN 82+ ENP650AWT B 650W ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7750

and well the other components aren't really important. But I am really just worried if I really even need this Video card, Does any body think its too much for what I need? I would get a cheaper one but I don't really want to lose performance. Like I said this computer will be used for multitasking like E-mails, youtube, microsoft word, and probably a few open web pages, and video chatting, For college work, You know? I really want to keep my budget under $600. I am willing to go alittle higher for taxes and stuff but no more that $700. I know most of you will say IF I'm am only multitasking I don't need a i5 processor and to just go with the i3, but I want a computer that be able to multitask with NO PROBLEM. I don't want to get componets that will just barly be "good enough". I am open to see what mobo, CPU combos I should use. Is a 650w power supply an overkill? Should I just get a 500w one? How many watts does this video card use? I just don't want a PSU to be working a 100 all the time. And should I buy 3rd party cooling fans or will the case fan suffice? I am not going to overclock because frankly, I don't know how. Haha.
What does everyone think about this build???
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about first time build questions
  1. Best answer
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($106.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $529.92
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-05 23:23 EST-0500)

i5 and 7770 will be 246W according to pcpartpicker.....
  2. I don't see any problem with your selections. The GFX card will be fine with that PSU and you have room for a bigger one, too. Yes, stay with a discrete card like the 7770. The on-chip graphics is too limited for any kind of gaming. And you will eventually want to game on it.
  3. clutchc said:
    I don't see any problem with your selections. The GFX card will be fine with that PSU and you have room for a bigger one, too. Yes, stay with a discrete card like the 7770. The on-chip graphics is too limited for any kind of gaming. And you will eventually want to game on it.

Hypothetical situation, With the selections I have made, would they be enough IF I wanted to game on this computer. Or is what AMD Radeon selected a better choice?
  4. franky021995 said:
    Hypothetical situation, With the selections I have made, would they be enough IF I wanted to game on this computer. Or is what AMD Radeon selected a better choice?

AMD Radeon laid out a nice build for you at a good price. But there's not much performance or quality difference from your original selection. Your Asus board has dual PCIe x16 slots which you probably will never use.
  5. Best answer selected by franky021995.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Build Systems