Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First time build questions

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2013 2:15:42 AM

I am planning to build my first ever desktop computer and I have questions about the components I am going to use. The only thing I am worried about is if I am over powering this build more then I need. What I mean is well... I'm not going to get an intel i7 processor when all I am going to use this computer is for multitasking and very very little gaming. Maybe only Civilization V. That parts That I got were as follow:

APEVIA X-TELSTAR-BK Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53470

ENERMAX NAXN 82+ ENP650AWT B 650W ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7750

and well the other components aren't really important. But I am really just worried if I really even need this Video card, Does any body think its too much for what I need? I would get a cheaper one but I don't really want to lose performance. Like I said this computer will be used for multitasking like E-mails, youtube, microsoft word, and probably a few open web pages, and video chatting, For college work, You know? I really want to keep my budget under $600. I am willing to go alittle higher for taxes and stuff but no more that $700. I know most of you will say IF I'm am only multitasking I don't need a i5 processor and to just go with the i3, but I want a computer that be able to multitask with NO PROBLEM. I don't want to get componets that will just barly be "good enough". I am open to see what mobo, CPU combos I should use. Is a 650w power supply an overkill? Should I just get a 500w one? How many watts does this video card use? I just don't want a PSU to be working a 100 all the time. And should I buy 3rd party cooling fans or will the case fan suffice? I am not going to overclock because frankly, I don't know how. Haha.
What does everyone think about this build???

More about : time build questions

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2013 2:24:07 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($106.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $529.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-05 23:23 EST-0500)

i5 and 7770 will be 246W according to pcpartpicker.....
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2013 2:27:29 AM

I don't see any problem with your selections. The GFX card will be fine with that PSU and you have room for a bigger one, too. Yes, stay with a discrete card like the 7770. The on-chip graphics is too limited for any kind of gaming. And you will eventually want to game on it.
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2013 2:35:01 AM

clutchc said:
I don't see any problem with your selections. The GFX card will be fine with that PSU and you have room for a bigger one, too. Yes, stay with a discrete card like the 7770. The on-chip graphics is too limited for any kind of gaming. And you will eventually want to game on it.

Hypothetical situation, With the selections I have made, would they be enough IF I wanted to game on this computer. Or is what AMD Radeon selected a better choice?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2013 2:59:42 AM

franky021995 said:
Hypothetical situation, With the selections I have made, would they be enough IF I wanted to game on this computer. Or is what AMD Radeon selected a better choice?

AMD Radeon laid out a nice build for you at a good price. But there's not much performance or quality difference from your original selection. Your Asus board has dual PCIe x16 slots which you probably will never use.
m
l
January 12, 2013 11:05:32 PM

Best answer selected by franky021995.
m
l
!