Sign in with
Your question

Asus Zenbook UX32VD - LCD Failure while updating drivers?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 22, 2012 8:10:04 AM

My laptop is less than a month old.

I was updating the Intel HD4000 on-board graphics card drivers when the screen when blank. After fifteen minutes, I powered it down and restarted it. The laptop booted normally and I could hear windows load, but I could not see anything on my LCD display. It is completely black/blank, as if the laptop were off.

I connected an external monitor via HDMI and that worked fine. When I attempted to toggle between 'external display', 'LCD', and 'both', I get an onscreen animation of my HDMI cable.

The first thing I tried was an uninstall/reinstall of my on-board and discreet graphics card drivers. I used Driver Sweeper in between installations, and ran all operations in safe mode.

The second thing I did was fiddle around with the 'display' commands in the control panel, adjusting resolution and whatnot. Nothing.

The third thing was an 'unseating'. I opened the laptop, disconnected the battery and RAM, and then reconnected them. Nothing.

The fourth thing I tried was to flash my BIOS. It flashed successfully using my Winflash utility. Nothing. After this, however, when I tell control panel to 'detect' my screens, it identifies two, as opposed to only my external, yet extending/switching the desktop to my LCD does not work.

The fifth thing I did was try to activate my laptop LCD using the toggle command (Fn & F8) in BIOS. Nothing.

The sixth was to run cmd and type chkdsk /f. This did not work either.

The last thing I tried was to reopen the laptop, disconnect the battery, and press the power button for 60 seconds. No go.

Everything I tried was recommended on other fora. Also recommended was to 'unseat' my CMOS battery or unplug the BIOS jumper, and while I have done both these things before on another motherboard in a PC, I can find neither on my Zenbook's motherboard. I guess they are on the underside of the motherboard. Seeing as how the laptop is so new, I don't feel confident/lucky enough to unscrew it from the laptop case and flip it over.

The following website claims I most probably (70%) have a failed LCD.
http://www.laptoptips.ca/hardware/lcd-failures/

I don't understand how it is possible for this to be an LCD failure, because I was updating the graphics card drivers at the time, and the laptop is brand new.

Why would a driver update cause physical damage to hardware?

Please help me solve this problem - I'm racking my brain, but I can't figure this one out.
December 7, 2012 8:56:52 AM

I have the exact same problem created in exactly the same way. A similar diagnosis chain created a similar non result. Can anyone help?
m
l
December 7, 2012 9:18:20 AM

And if there are enough of us with this particular problem maybe we can get some sort of a class action happening against Asus as this one clearly caused two of us damage and seems like it could well be Asus's fault.

Asus will tell you to go to the service centre and be without your pc for 5 days,
If you have the same problem post here and we'll see what we can do.

m
l
December 8, 2012 4:24:38 PM

pco888 said:
I have the exact same problem created in exactly the same way. A similar diagnosis chain created a similar non result. Can anyone help?

The only thing I can recommend is taking the Laptop back to where you bought it from.

Backup all your data using an external monitor hooked up via HDMI.

Remove any RAM/SDD you have added and reinsert the hardware that came with the zenbook.

Complain. Its a genuine hardware issue that is known/recognised by Asus. Wear a suit and look busy and threaten to 'tell all your friends and post on fora all over the net'... you will find that the Asus call centre guy, who your vendor WILL call to report the problem while you wait, will change his/her attitude pretty damn fast. At the end of the day, if your vendor can return it for their refund, they have no qualms about giving you another laptop on the spot. It's all about that balance sheet...

When I first returned mine, I was wearing casual clothes and spoke to some jerk named Eleven Wang at Asus Taiwan, who offered to have it repaired in less than a month. Stuff that. I went back the next day, dressed somewhat differently, and came across as extremely agitated. There were different staff and they didn't even call Asus Taiwan. They gave me a new laptop, took my details, and I then received an apology email from a (much higher up) manager type guy name Kiyoma Ban, who apologised profusely for the hardware error and offered, if I am still indisposed, to have Asus Japan Fedex me a temporary replacement laptop while my issues were sorted. I replied that I had returned the laptop for a new one after cloning my SDD and did not require any support of any kind, as my new laptop worked perfectly (I repeated all the driver updates on it that screwed up my last one).

That is what worked for me. Your mileage may vary, naturally, but... you are not alone, and Asus have made me comfortable, so they should do the same for you.

Good luck.

If you need anything else from me, just ask.
m
l
December 8, 2012 4:27:48 PM

One last thing... It wasn't all peaches and roses... this Ban guy kept insisting that my situation was a one-off. I told him to google it and even offered to send him the links to show that other people around the globe were reporting this issue, but he just kept saying that my situation was unique. I then told him that it is a reported issue on the specific UX32VD Asus website, and he replied in the negative, told me I was confused, and then changed the subject.

So... its a known issue as far as being on the company website, but the staff still insist it's a one-off.

??? Beats me :?/
m
l
!