AMD cards w/ 5 outputs, support 5 independent monitors?

Hi fellas,

For once, I actually have a question, it's more out of curiosity than anything else.
As the title states, many AIB partners make cards such as the 7950 with 2 DVI outputs along with the normal HDMI and 2 miniDP ports. That's a total of 5 video outputs. Do those cards support 5 independent displays? And if yes, could they be used in Eyefinity? I'm well aware there are specific cards already out there for Eyefinity 6 etc. Was just wondering about those cards with 5 video outputs.

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about cards outputs support independent monitors
  1. No. They do not. Well. They do. Sort of. one of the hdmi and DVI ports share the signal. You can only use 2 of those 3 connections . you MUST use display port for any additional monitors. There are active single link DVI adapters for act 15 bucks.

Now why I say sort of.... The newer display port spec actually supports driving three monitors off one display port, making eyefinity 6 unnecessary. The problem is display port is STILL not taking off. There are very few monitors that allow the daisy chaining to make this work, and the adapters the can run 3 DVI monitors off one display port are taking a long time to come to market and are expected to be very expensive.

practically don't expect to run more than 4 off a non eyefinity 6 card right now if you're a normal user
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Support Monitors Graphics