Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First ever build ~ Advice appreciated

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2013 4:38:11 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Monday

Budget Range: $1000~1100

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, media such as streaming, internet

Are you buying a monitor: No, but I will be upgrading in the future

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NewEgg.com, Amazon.com, NCIX.com, and others, but those 3 mostly

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Current 1366x768 ~ Upgrading to 1920x1080 soon

I will be overclocking the i5-3570K to about 4.6GHz so airflow is a factor, since I want relatively cool temps under load. I will be gaming mainly and want most games to play on max settings. Also, I used PCPartpicker which checks compatibility, but I'll be double checking myself. If anyone knows for sure these will all be compatible, then that'd be great, too. So, tell me what you think of my build. Any advice is appreciated.

Specs:

CPU: i5-3570K - $205
CPU Cooler: Noctua DH14 - $80 - Planned on getting the H100, but it's really for aesthetics as it performs maybe a bit cooler than the Noctua but is a lot noisier from what I've heard. I'll save my bucks for a great water cooler in the future.
Mobo: Gigabyte Z77 UD3H - Can't decide between this and the ASRock Z77 Extreme6, they are both similarly priced.
Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 8GB (2x4) DDR3-1600 - $40 This has some great overclocking ability, and is pretty low profile
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM - $70
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW - $400 general consensus was the FTW over the Gigabyte Windforce OC, and EVGA seems better in terms of customer service.
Case: Corsair 500R - $100 Really like this case, but CM 690 II Adv is another good one and has 2 more areas for fan installation.
PSU: TX750 V2 - $90

Here is my build on pcpartpicker, if you feel any modifications to it are needed. If you do change stuff, please say why.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/w5yG
January 6, 2013 4:55:04 AM

Memory: Samsung isnt popular in OC
get corsair or gskill brand
evga GTX 670 FTW has -not-good- OEM cooling design
get gigabyte windforce, 4GB version willk leaves you room for future SLI
January 6, 2013 5:27:08 AM

AMD Radeon said:
Memory: Samsung isnt popular in OC
get corsair or gskill brand
evga GTX 670 FTW has -not-good- OEM cooling design
get gigabyte windforce, 4GB version willk leaves you room for future SLI

Yeah, I'm still on the fence about the Windforce. If I do get the FTW, I will be adding in a few more fans to help.
Also, I got the Samsung rams because a lot of reviewers praised it's overclocking ability and the ram itself.

Edit: If you could could you explain why the OEM design is not that great? I'm not really tech savvy, to be honest
Related resources
January 6, 2013 5:36:22 AM

you should look yourself its cooling fan and compare it to others...

radial fan is noisy in the long run and blows less air...
January 6, 2013 5:48:34 AM

AMD Radeon said:
you should look yourself its cooling fan and compare it to others...

radial fan is noisy in the long run and blows less air...

Alright, thanks :)  but otherwise, how is my build? If I were to go with the corsair vengeance, and possibly the windforce.

Best solution

January 6, 2013 6:10:41 AM

good build :)  i would recommend ASRock Z77 Extreme6 though, cheap gigabyte mobo is not suited for OC
and for ram, i havent heard samsung for OC, its up to you
January 6, 2013 6:19:05 AM
January 6, 2013 6:35:05 AM

AMD Radeon said:
good build :)  i would recommend ASRock Z77 Extreme6 though, cheap gigabyte mobo is not suited for OC
and for ram, i havent heard samsung for OC, its up to you

Thanks, man. I think I will go with the extreme6 instead. :) 
January 6, 2013 6:35:23 AM

Best answer selected by infinityNMC.
!