Set up for online gaming

Kedeli

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
OK I want to be able to play MMORPGS and other online games without any latency (or as little as possible). I have wireless 25mb internet in my house but the router is not in my room it is about 25 meters away in my parents room. I experience latency with my current set up while gaming online so I have decided to switch to wired. What is my best option for doing so? Running a wire through from the router to my room would be possible but I need to know if the length will effect performance and what type of Ethernet cable I would need (including estimated price). The other option is to move the router from that room to mine but im not familiar with how this would be done and what the costs would be. Any advice is appreciated.

You'll want to get at minimum CAT5e cable ( something like this 100ft. for $12 ) Figure 100FT should give you plenty of extra length to route the cable.

As far as cable length goes the maximum length for a cable segment is 100 meters (328 feet). If longer runs are required, the use of active hardware such as a repeater, or a switch, is necessary --- so you'll be fine !

Kedeli

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
So I will experience the same quality internet with the wire stretching around 25 meters as I would with a short one?

Yes as long as the length stays under the maximum of 100 Meters the signal strength will remain fine and will work fine - once you go over that the signal strength starts to get marginal and you start getting more errors in receiving the info causing the info to need to be resent (which is why for longer runs than that you would need to add repeater or switch that would reamplify the signal so that it could go another 100 meters without deteriorating) causing slow downs but for the distance you are talking it will not make any noticeable difference.