Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question about a server used as a gaming system?

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2013 5:17:18 AM

Hi everyone, I'm having an intention to buy an used system for gaming. I just saw this unit on eBay (item number: 180877249859) and wondering if it will work as a normal desktop computer and gaming system or not? I know that it is a server and was not built for casual using activities but the price is quite reasonable and that is about what I capable to pay for a system without the graphic card. Since I do not have much knowledge about computer hardware so I just want to ask for some questions first before having any decision. Thanks a lot for any help.

-The description stated that the motherboard of this unit is 'Quanta S45' but when i look for it's info on the Internet, i did not see much thing there. Anyone can help me to determine the version (1.0, 2.0, etc...) of it's PCI-E x16 slot? I saw on another thread that someone said if there is no info stated anywhere about the version of the slot in the manual so it properly should be v1.0, right?

-Can a v2.0 (or more than that) graphic card works backward with a v1.0 slot? if YES, how much terrible it will be compared to when it is plugged in the right slot version?

-The power supply of this server is 450w. It is capable for a middle graphic card (for ex: Geforce GTX 650)? What else should I know before buying a graphic card beside the power supply and the version of the PCI slot?

Sorry for my bad English.

Best solution

January 6, 2013 5:27:43 AM

You probably don't want to use a rack mount server as a desktop. Look into workstations. geeks dot com has some great ones like the hp xw8600. It is more expensive, but it would work a lot better for what you are doing. Also, you want to look for high GHz as that matters more than the number of cores when you are gaming.
January 7, 2013 2:30:14 AM

Best answer selected by hnguyen48206.
!