Gaming/Streaming Oriented Build

Hey everyone!

I was hoping you could help me with the making of a new build.

Basing myself on http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8450/7946878116_e7bdb17f43_o.png, I can stream at 720p as I can reach those 10 mbps of upload speed so I'd like to fix my hardware.

This is what I have at the moment:

CPU: Intel i7 950 3.04Ghz (it used to be OC'd to 3.4)
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 6870
Memory: http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=326 (Currently at 1066 mhz. Last time I used the Intel XMP to keep it at 2000 mhz I had a bluescreen but I believe its because I was running with no fans and the memory got extremely hot)
Storage: 1x OCZ Vertex 2 60GB (OS, programs) // 1x OCZ Agility 3 240GB (Games) // 1x External Western Digital 1TB (Media)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W (Back when I thought that the more the better!)
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58
Case: Thermaltake Xaser III with no fans nor side door
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster P2450 (Getting my old 19 inch LG monitor as a 2nd monitor to facilitate streaming in terms of interaction with the viewers

My first concern is my motherboard, the B1/B2 slots for the RAM are broken so I need to use my memory on A1 + C1 + C2 slots, from the little I know I think I'm not benefiting from the Triple-Channel functionality from the RAM. One of my 2 60 gb SSDs stopped working out of nowhere, I have no idea if a MoBo malfunction could have caused it, I thought it was worth mentioning it.

The big dilemma I'm currently facing is if I should buy a new MoBo and processor or wait a few months for the Haswell processors from Intel and then get a MoBo with a LGA 1150 socket or if I should just go with a Z77 motherboard or so. I'm not getting the best out of streaming with my i7 950 I believe.

I'm also thinking about getting a Cooler Master HAF-X case as my case is a joke and I'd like to overclock with air cooling and well... it's a pretty nice case!

Money's not a big concern, but I don't want to take the enthusiastic approach and spend 600 euros on a single piece of hardware. Instead, I'd like to buy efficiently and get the best price/quality items out there I guess.

What would you guys recommend?
4 answers Last reply
More about gaming streaming oriented build
  1. keep your i7 PC as it is still decent

if you experience low gaming performance, 6870 should be replaced by 7950 or 670
  2. Should I replace my motherboard because of the faulty ram slots? What I play mainly are MMORPGs, they're not as heavy on graphics as they are on the processor
  3. keep it, it still working right? wait for the next gen
  4. Alright, I'll just look into the case and OC the CPU a bit with a nice fan as well I guess.

Thanks a lot!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems