Question about new Mini-ITX build

bambinobomber

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I was wondering if the following parts would fit inside of a Bitfenix Prodigy

Zotac GTX 660 ti. I will probably have to remove the HDD cage, so I was wondering where my 1 tb Seagate Barracuda would go, and if I would have enough space to install it alongside a SDD.

Hyper 212 Evo (for a i5 3570k). I'm mostly wondering if I'll have issues fitting my 2x4gb G. Skill Sniper memory kit with the Cooler installed.

The motherboard I'll be installing in it is the Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI

bambinobomber

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I live in a pretty hot place so I was wondering if I would have any heat issues with the CPU running at 4.0 GHZ (around the max you can get with the Gigabyte mobo). Hopefully the Hyper 212 Evo won't prevent me from installing top fans.

I love small cases.

I have not used the bitfenix prodigy, but it seems to be a larger than necessary case for ITX. 9.84" x 15.91" x 14.13"
By comparison, the Silverstone TJ-08E M-ATX case is about the same size. 15.16" x 8.27" x 14.72"

I think the prodigy hard drive cage is in 2 parts, so just removing the top cage will give you all the room you need for any length graphics card.
The bottom cage supports 3 drives, so there should not be an issue there.

One problem with ITX motherboards is the location of the cpu socket. With the exception of the ASUS P8-Z77I-Deluxe the socket is placed very close to the pci-e slot. That means that you have to orient larger cpu coolers parallel to the graphics card. That, in turn will overhang the ram slots. I would definitely buy low profile ram regardless.
I think you should search for prodigy gaming builds on forums to find some pictures of exactly what is involved.

As to cooling, it should not be a big issue. A GTX660ti is not a hot card. I might prefer a EVGA version with direct exhaust to remove the heat.
The Phenix allows the installation of a large fan in front, and I would do that. Look for a 180 or 200mm fan that should fit and be quiet.

If you are looking at this build for a lan party type pc, I might do some more looking.
There are some good and smaller cases out there.

For a desktop with limited depth, like I needed, I can recommend the Silverstone TJ-08E.
You will have no problems with any of the issues you asked, and can use a less expensive M-ATX sized motherboard.

sooyong94

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011

...or even a Sugo SG09... It's smaller than the Prodigy volume-wise, fits mATX boards and a tower heatsink.

bambinobomber

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I just want something that's easy to move between rooms, and also from my home to my workplace.

I know there are better cases for a ITX build, but from what I've seen this case is pretty durable.

I'll probably stick with a i5 3330, since OCing isn't even that good with the gygabite card, and I don't feel that I'll need much power for the games I currently play.