Sign in with
Your question

PC starts up then shuts down after a few seconds before booting up

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2013 9:44:36 AM

When I try to boot up my computer it starts up, then after a few seconds it shuts down and starts up again after a few seconds more. This happens multiple times until eventually it boots up fine. When it's in that weird restart cycle there's nothing showing on the monitor.

PC specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Q6600 CPU
Tuniq Tower 120 CPU Cooler
GTX 260 GPU
850W Power Supply
4GB DDR2-800 Memory
500GB HD

Also, I haven't modified my computer hardware, done any overclocking, etc. This started happening randomly. Does anyone know what the problem is?
January 6, 2013 11:02:21 AM

How OLD is that computer, or its parts. The CPU is at least 6 or something years old because its LGA 775, not LGA 1155
m
l
January 6, 2013 1:54:34 PM

Check your motherboard for a burst transistor.

Transistors are cylindrical in shape, often black or silver but can be any colour. Leaning transistors typically aren't an issue unless you can see that one of their legs has become detached. A burst transistor will show either a bulge on the top of the cylinder, look closely as the designs of some make them look ever so slightly bulged without closer examination, or via leaking around the base of the transistor, usually in the form of a light creme coloured substance.

Orthokid also points out the age of your machine, which could be a contributing factor to this behaviour. Components do die of old age with motherboards and PSUs being particularly susceptible to this. Even if there is no obvious damage to your machine, the multiple attempts to power on do indicate a hardware failure. This maybe the aforementioned burst transistors or a dying power supply unit but it could also be as simple as a shorting connection somewhere (which could be for a multitude of reasons).
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2013 5:17:02 PM

WskOsc said:
Check your motherboard for a burst transistor.

Transistors are cylindrical in shape, often black or silver but can be any colour. Leaning transistors typically aren't an issue unless you can see that one of their legs has become detached. A burst transistor will show either a bulge on the top of the cylinder, look closely as the designs of some make them look ever so slightly bulged without closer examination, or via leaking around the base of the transistor, usually in the form of a light creme coloured substance.

Orthokid also points out the age of your machine, which could be a contributing factor to this behaviour. Components do die of old age with motherboards and PSUs being particularly susceptible to this. Even if there is no obvious damage to your machine, the multiple attempts to power on do indicate a hardware failure. This maybe the aforementioned burst transistors or a dying power supply unit but it could also be as simple as a shorting connection somewhere (which could be for a multitude of reasons).

Yeah, that too, I forgot Motherboards used to have them like that, lol. After years of use and abuse you can safely assume that the motherboard has failed, and I wouldnt bother upgradeing or replacing anything in that system, I recomend making a new build.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2013 6:31:24 PM

could be two issue...ram stick went bad so that at boot the mb cant set the system ram to cpu speed up right till it falls over. (over clock fail). the power supply is going bad or there a part like the video card that failing and pulling more voltage then it should.
m
l
January 7, 2013 12:07:46 AM

Most of the PC is over 5 years old and the graphics card, power supply, and CPU cooler are about 4 years old.

I checked for bursted/leaking transistors and they all looked fine.
m
l
!